General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shipping Assistance

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2021, 05:57 PM

Shipping Assistance

Hopefully I'm in the right catagory- can anyone recommend someone to ship a car and separate engine on a pallet from California to Ohio? Looking for both to ride together.

thanks in advance

-Dave
Old January 27th, 2021, 06:09 PM

That's an interesting combination. An engine on a pallet could get trucked thru Fastenal or similar. A car needs hauled on a trailer. You may need a car hauler by trade and slide the engine on behind. Do you need an enclosed trailer for a show car, or open for a project or what? I know a show car hauler.
Old January 27th, 2021, 06:37 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, it's not a show car, bit want to protect it none the less, I'm hoping to ship both together, kind of thinking single or smaller car hauler that has room for the engine. Can't imagine how much it will cost though, Not really sure where to go.....

Old January 27th, 2021, 07:06 PM

Going through the shipping fiasco myself right now. Have had bad experiences and ok experiences. Only time I’ve ever had no issues getting my car was when using Reliable. They are more expensive, but just get the job done. They are not a broker.

Don’t think any of the regular shipper/brokers will haul the motor on a pallet with your car. If you do happen to get this accomplished, please let us know who it was for future reference.

Best of luck! I always found the shipping more stressful than the purchase......

Joe
Old January 27th, 2021, 08:03 PM

I was in discussion with Mr. Rick Powell to haul a Hurst/Olds I was contemplating purchasing. I declined to purchase it and did not need his services. The one I did buy I could have walked to; it was in my town.

He has made an ad here.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...nsport.614568/
Old January 27th, 2021, 08:51 PM
Banned

I was in trucking for many many years. You can find plenty of car haulers to bring the car. The engine on a separate pallet adds a huge cost/problem. Car haulers have a car hauling trailer. They do not have a place to put a pallet. You would save huge money if the engine could be put into the car. Just for the trip. Temporarily. My two cents.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; January 27th, 2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old January 28th, 2021, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
You would save huge money if the engine could be put into the car.
I wonder about this. My experience with shipping cars is that the haulers hate it when you try to sneak extra things in for the ride. A spare set of windshield wiper blades or a set of service manuals is ok, but an engine is something entirely different. It adds significant weight to the car, and the trunk, which is where the extra engine would presumably be stowed, could probably not be closed, so the lid would have to be lashed down somehow. The engine needs to be properly secured so it doesn't shift. Etc. I doubt you could find a hauler who would agree to this.

When I had my '78 Toronado shipped from Georgia to New Mexico, the seller had an extra hood (he never explained why as the car didn't need one), and he insisted that it go with the car. He said he would strap it securely on top of the hood on the car. The hauler reluctantly took it, and the shipper's strapping job lasted all of 25 miles before the straps started to come loose. The hauler re-secured it with his own straps for the remaining 1550 miles. When he arrived, he told me what happened, and I gave him an extra $100 for taking the time to get it here as he would have been within his rights to throw it into the nearest dumpster when it first started to come loose.

I think the OP is looking at two separate shipments. While it would be nice if the car and the engine could travel together, there is no reason that this needs to happen.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 28th, 2021 at 08:06 PM.