General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"she's completly naked"

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2012, 07:27 AM

"she's completly naked"

Started on the 70 post. interior is all out other than a set of seats i threw in there to check the fit. Glass will be removed shortly. Nice clean body passenger fender at bottom needs patched. Vey small pin holes at both quaters just behind wheels. Drivers front fender is a repop. Body being stripped for body work. front clip will come off soon as well as drive train. Extremely clean and decided to do a body on. To clean to remove as far as I'm concerned. Even the body bushings are still a little flexible with next to no splitting.

See pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 1.JPG (104.0 KB, 93 views)
photo 2.JPG (96.4 KB, 88 views)
photo 3.JPG (91.9 KB, 86 views)
photo 4.JPG (92.3 KB, 79 views)
photo 5.JPG (70.1 KB, 70 views)
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:25 AM
72 Olds CS

that looks good

how did you strip the paint ?
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Aircraft paint remover then 40 to 80 with a DA. Took about 8hrs total.
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:35 AM

There is some damage on the drivers quater. None at wheel opening. I should be able to get 90% of the damage out with patience and a hammer!!!! Floors and trunk are unbeliveably clean. Floors are still green with a hint of "brown" no holes at all. Even the outside corners of the doors have nothing!!! It's a Cali car from out of Nevada.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice score Patton. Will be looking forward to the build on this. Seems you always find the nice ones. You keeping the paint/interior them OEM?
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Nice score Patton. Will be looking forward to the build on this. Seems you always find the nice ones. You keeping the paint/interior them OEM?
Who's Patton?

You've got the wrong guy.

That saying never worked when I was younger
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1970 Post
Who's Patton?You've got the wrong guy.
That saying never worked when I was younger
I'm so sorry, Patton Glade restores 'post coupes' and goes by 70Post on this site. Should have looked more closely at the name.

Best of luck on your project - it looks like a really solid car.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:58 AM

I'm so sorry, Patton Glade restores 'post coupes' and goes by 70Post on this site. Should have looked more closely at the name.

Best of luck on your project - it looks like a really solid car.
No problem at all. I'm new to the site and didn't realize the name was so close to someone elses. Thanks for the compliments on the car. This is my first olds restoration. I'm a GTO/50's chevy guy at heart but I've always liked this body style cutlass and found this one.... I couldn't pass it up. It's just a 350 bench column shift car but it will be pretty nice once done. Was green on green. Don't know the color I'm going with yet.

Everyone keeps saying I need to change that quarter panel but i can't see cutting on the car.

I'll keep updating as I progress.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1970 Post
Everyone keeps saying I need to change that quarter panel but i can't see cutting on the car.

I'll keep updating as I progress.
Could be they don't have the close up on the metal. Looks to me like it might have been 'torn' and stitched back together at one time? If it's solid I wouldn't cut it either. The little silver spots look more like high spots that came out of the sanding.

Yes, please keep us updated. The site has a lot of folks who can offer up good suggestions or help solve problems if they arise. Cheers!
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Could be they don't have the close up on the metal. Looks to me like it might have been 'torn' and stitched back together at one time? If it's solid I wouldn't cut it either. The little silver spots look more like high spots that came out of the sanding.

Yes, please keep us updated. The site has a lot of folks who can offer up good suggestions or help solve problems if they arise. Cheers!
No rips just lots of small dent where someone attempted to straighten it out with a slide hammer. Then applying a few coats of mud adding up to almost an inch in thickness There is still some filler in the lower dents that I will remove once I get to that portion of the car. The people telling me to change it are not from this site. They are freinds that really only care about what the outside of their cars look like and don't do any of the work themselves. A few of us listen to them but just smile.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:57 PM

Cool looking car!

I've been known to work on cars other than post coupes!
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post

Cool looking car!

I've been known to work on cars other than post coupes!

Thanks, what are you thoughts on that quater panel? Would you change it? No rips or tears in the metal and a couple pin holes behind the rear wheel in the normal corner of the quarter. Wheel opening is unharmed. There is also some damage thats been taken out for the most part between the wheel opening and rear of the car. The car came with a qaurter skin but I can't bring myself to cutting it.

I have been thinking about cutting just the section out behind the door and using this portion of the skin to resuce the amount of filler. This will not be seen from the trunk area.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM

You need to do some trolling over at
http://www.metalmeet.com/

It is amazing how much you can learn about metal repair and replacement on that site. I figure if I read enough over there I might be able to do some of the body repairs on my 67 rust bucket myself!

Nice work so far though. Mine is still sitting in the driveway since I found out the head gaskets need replacing!