General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

sheet metal

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2021, 06:58 AM

sheet metal

Morning all, im about to purchase rear quarters for my 71 442 who has the best sheetmetal im leaning towards OPG. Thanks
Old January 18th, 2021, 09:29 AM

Correct As Original Restoration Parts for your car or truck project. (autometaldirect.com)
Old January 18th, 2021, 10:14 AM

I guess it would be better if they actually sold quarter panel sheetmetal, so I guess these guys are technically worthless in that department.
Old January 18th, 2021, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
I guess it would be better if they actually sold quarter panel sheetmetal, so I guess these guys are technically worthless in that department.
i JUST POSTED THE LINK.
As Auto metak direct/goodmark/dynacore/tricore make most of the aftermarket stampings.

just a link in my bookmarks , thought it help.
Old January 18th, 2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
i JUST POSTED THE LINK.
As Auto metak direct/goodmark/dynacore/tricore make most of the aftermarket stampings.

just a link in my bookmarks , thought it help.
Not blaming you for posting the link. But the link turns out it's ineffective. Yes, the link goes to a website who claims to sell all sorts of metal stuff, EXCEPT quarter panel sheetmetal for a 70-72 442 HT. The only thing it brings up for his application is wheelhouse parts. If they used to sell the sheetmetal, I'm guessing they don't any more. Unless they have it hiding in a separate heading somewhere else. It sure isn't under Olds quarter panels. I was always under the understanding that they pretty much come from one source anyway.
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Sorry, but I see this a lot on FB (yeah, I should know better...). There are a small number of repeat offenders who, whenever someone asks for a source for a hard-to-find item, they post "Fusick" or "Year One" or "RockAuto", etc. Of course, the person posting hasn't bothered to see if the item in question is actually sold by those vendors. When you call them on it, the response is an indignant "well, I was trying to help!"

News flash: Giving someone bad info that causes them to waste their time isn't what most people would consider helping.
Old January 19th, 2021, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, but I see this a lot on FB (yeah, I should know better...). There are a small number of repeat offenders who, whenever someone asks for a source for a hard-to-find item, they post "Fusick" or "Year One" or "RockAuto", etc. Of course, the person posting hasn't bothered to see if the item in question is actually sold by those vendors. When you call them on it, the response is an indignant "well, I was trying to help!"

News flash: Giving someone bad info that causes them to waste their time isn't what most people would consider helping.
WELP.
Offering up links to ALLOW the person to look for what he /she needs is helping. as they might not have ever heard of it/them , the vendor. and might need something they offer latter in a build.
I book mark vendors even if what I need now isn't offered.
It is NOT others job to take a vendor they happen to have book marked , spend time looking up the part as that person isn't the one that needs the part, That is optional, and if they feel like doing that, it is awesome. but stating if you don't is wasting the person looking for a part/items time. well. No wonder many don't bother , so why should they spend the time looking it up.
Sorry I am not a parts dept. employee. I am just a guy on a forum with same brand/ make car that listed a vendor.
You want others to waste their time looking up the part. but offering a vendor link is wasting the person looking for somethings time.
Got it.
I will refrain from bothering anymore, as I am only wasting others peoples time. posting links to suppliers.
Heck it be nice if there was a glossary of vendors listed on the forum. maybe I missed one.

Last edited by Grayghost; January 19th, 2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old January 19th, 2021, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Grayghost
WELP.
Offering up links to ALLOW the person to look for what he /she needs is helping. as they might not have ever heard of it/them , the vendor. and might need something they offer latter in a build.
I book mark vendors even if what I need now isn't offered.
It is NOT others job to take a vendor they happen to have book marked , spend time looking up the part as that person isn't the one that needs the part, That is optional, and if they feel like doing that, it is awesome. but stating if you don't is wasting the person looking for a part/items time. well. No wonder many don't bother , so why should they spend the time looking it up.
Sorry I am not a parts dept. employee. I am just a guy on a forum with same brand/ make car that listed a vendor.
You want others to waste their time looking up the part. but offering a vendor link is wasting the person looking for somethings time.
Got it.
I will refrain from bothering anymore, as I am only wasting others time.
If someone stopped to ask you directions, and you sent them in the wrong direction, would that be "helping"?
And frankly, if it's " NOT others job to take a vendor they happen to have book marked , spend time looking up the part as that person isn't the one that needs the part", why even waste the time to post something that isn't helpful?
Old January 19th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If someone stopped to ask you directions, and you sent them in the wrong direction, would that be "helping"?
And frankly, if it's " NOT others job to take a vendor they happen to have book marked , spend time looking up the part as that person isn't the one that needs the part", why even waste the time to post something that isn't helpful?
Apples and oranges.
have a good day.
Old January 21st, 2021, 03:34 AM

I think that you 2 need to get back to the idea of a guy that is looking to replace his rear quarters on his '71, so stop the slap fight, kiss and make up and try to help the guy if you can.

Roofman, you can get complete quarters from OPGI (not just skins). But IF they have them in stock the extra freight charge is a killer. Also, they have a tendancy to say "Sure, we have them in stock", and then back-order the item anyway. If that does not throw you, the fenders that they sell are from overseas vendors for the most part and will require alot of pulling, bending, hammering and cussing to get them to fit right.

If possible, your best bet is almost always to find a donor car. If you can't find one, does the entire quarter need to be replaced? Or can some extra sheet metal repair the damage?
Old January 21st, 2021, 04:38 AM

As Chip says,” If possible, your best bet is almost always to find a donor car. If you can't find one, does the entire quarter need to be replaced? Or can some extra sheet metal repair the damage?
Old January 21st, 2021, 05:42 PM

FWIW, I recently purchased a Goodmark quarter for my '70 Supreme through Summit, mainly because I could go pick it up.
It's still in the box so I can't comment on the fit but I will say, the gauge seems very thin. ( I'll mic it tomorrow)
That being said I bought a lower front fender patch through ABS and it seems more substantial. (I'll mic it as well.)
I took the liberty to see how far you're from ABS in Ct. It's 150 miles so that could be a money saver in transport costs if you go get the parts, not to mention the possibility of damage

Last edited by klleetrucking; January 22nd, 2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old January 21st, 2021, 06:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Most of the Chinesium sheet metal panels I've seen are only about 2/3 the thickness of OEM. AMD had released a few panels recently that use new tooling and are factory thickness metal. Not surprisingly, they also cost 50% more than the thin ones. Unfortunately, they haven't released new quarter panel stampings.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 07:52 AM

I used the same Goodmark quarters and they are 22ga. For my application, I really didn't care if the thickness was the same as factory and they worked out fine.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:38 PM

Sheet Metal

Measured the Goodmark quarter today, As stated by gear head it's 22 gauge.
The lower fender repair patch from ABS measured 18 gauge using a slot gauge.
Good luck to the OP whichever panels you decide to use.