General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Searching for High School 442 (Shipped to Utah)

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2015, 04:55 PM

Searching for High School 442 (Shipped to Utah)

Looking for my high school 70 442. After I sold it in 1981 it went through 3 local owners. It was a factory 3 speed manual floor shift that was restored and converted to an automatic around 2004. In 2006 it was sold and shipped to Utah from Harrison, Ohio. It was gold on gold with black stripes and an aftermarket W27 rear end cover. I have tried to get the VIN number from the local recorders office but nothing came up under my name or the other 3 owners. I have no idea why but it seems like the car never existed yet all the owners including myself lived in the same county.
I know it's a long shot trying to find it but figured you never know unless you ask.

Rick
Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:33 PM

Best of luck finding it. I hope you do find it.

My high School car(My First car) from back in the eighties was a 70 442. It is sitting two streets over from me for the past 25 +years in a garage covered in whatever.
"I Literally Gave it to my Younger brother" back then. Do you think i can get it back? Not a chance, won't even talk to me about it. There it sits.
Family Sucks

Sorry can you tell it is a sore subject
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:14 PM

Unless you come up with the vin number, not a chance you will ever find it. Even with the vin number it could be hard/impossible to trace. Police are not as free to give out vin number information like they did just a few years ago. Check old paperwork in drawers or other unlikely places, might get lucky. I discovered my first car's vin on an old temporary license plate. I managed to trace it to a junk yard, paper work showed destroyed.
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by 68442

My high School car(My First car) from back in the eighties was a 70 442. It is sitting two streets over from me for the past 25 +years in a garage covered in whatever.
"I Literally Gave it to my Younger brother" back then. Do you think i can get it back? Not a chance, won't even talk to me about it. There it sits.
Family Sucks

Thanks...lol So much for brotherly love. Maybe he'll reconsider some day and it will once again be yours.

Rick
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Unless you come up with the vin number, not a chance you will ever find it. Even with the vin number it could be hard/impossible to trace. Police are not as free to give out vin number information like they did just a few years ago. Check old paperwork in drawers or other unlikely places, might get lucky. I discovered my first car's vin on an old temporary license plate. I managed to trace it to a junk yard, paper work showed destroyed.
Larry,
I never save anything, unlike my wife that saves everything. That's an all together different subject I could spend hours ranting about. The only chance I had finding old paperwork would have been in my Dad's stuff but he passed away several years ago and all his old paperwork and such was pitched. I've asked a family member who's insurance agency insured the car back in the day to check their records. She said they recently pitched all their old paper records. I guess I'm hoping whoever bought it in 2006 is a member here. I doubt there's too many cars shipped from Harrison, Ohio to Utah so they would know right away they have the car.
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 68442

Family Sucks

Simply need to apply the art of bargaining. Don't do anything for him until he either fixes up the car, or gives it to you. Offer him some money.
Old November 4th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Simply need to apply the art of bargaining. Don't do anything for him until he either fixes up the car, or gives it to you. Offer him some money.
Myself being a contractor, Over the years i remodeled his house/built additions/ built a garage/ Replumbed the entire house/ new heating system Etc. Even painted a few cars for him over the years All for free because he was my brother/family. Offered him numerous trades of the many cars i have. I should have listened to the many people over the years that said i was a fool to do these things for him.
The one and only thing i have ever asked of him was to find a way to get my car back.
Maybe i haven't done enough

Sorry cinci didn't want to divert your thread