General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Scamming scum

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Scamming scum

I am currently selling a 1970 Cutlass and here is an email I received:

.how I wish I could come and inspect it but currently working.I'm a marine engineer who's on a ship right now. so I'll be buying it without seeing it.Also I'll be paying via Pay Pal and I'm more tha happy to pay the PayPal transfer charges too.Due to the distance as me presently working I'll arrange the pick-up of it with a private courier services soon as you get your payment,so tell me it's condition and more pictures of it.

The name on the email account was Mary Cole

Do these people really think we are that stupid? Sure sounds fishy to me...
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:04 PM

It is a scam, just ignore it.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:08 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Sounds like trouble Ted RUN!
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Runner

When in doubt, google the entire message....
https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...w=1128&bih=637
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:08 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Great work Joffroi! I'd say that would answer any and all questions
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Thanks for the link Joffroi.....my scamming email is nothing new I see! I am sure that we talked about it on CO so I was aware of this type of thing...just never had it happen to me before

Thanks,
Ted
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:21 PM

Damn, guys, I feel sorry for all these people. Stationed on a ship at sea for months at a time, all they want to do is buy a classic car to call their own, and you guys can't be bothered to help them out. What a bunch of dreamcrushers.

Seriously though, what's the PayPal scam here. I understand the one where they send you a check for more than the car is worth and you are supposed to send them back the extra, but how do they put money in your PayPal account without it really going in there?
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Did someone say Paypal scam? This is what was in my email today.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Your account has been limited until we hear from you
Case ID 949-156-207
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:56:00 +0000

Hello xxxx,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason: A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional information from you in order to provide you with secure service. Case ID Number: PP-949-156-207

This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. Be sure to log in securely by using the following link: Click here to login and restore your account access

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks, PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.

For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Copyright © 1999-2013 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal Email ID PP522
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by sammy

Do these people really think we are that stupid? Sure sounds fishy to me...
All they need is one!

This one goes right up there with the Nigerian Banking Scams, etc.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:04 PM

Scam

I had the same email awhile back the only diffrence was he was buying my car for his mother in law.. I asked the person to call me so we can talk details, but he kept emailing so i just said forget it I knew something was fishy but i just couldnt prove it.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
1967 442

Damn. Not too long ago I received an email from my bank stating that my acct had been accessed from another state and that it was recommended that I log in and change my password. I clicked the link in my email and a web page popped up. It looked just like my bank's page. After I logged in I noticed that the web address was all jacked up. Needless to say I quickly went to the site correctly and changed the password. I as almost played. Damn Internet!
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by starfire
Damn, guys, I feel sorry for all these people. Stationed on a ship at sea for months at a time, all they want to do is buy a classic car to call their own, and you guys can't be bothered to help them out. What a bunch of dreamcrushers.

Seriously though, what's the PayPal scam here. I understand the one where they send you a check for more than the car is worth and you are supposed to send them back the extra, but how do they put money in your PayPal account without it really going in there?
I seem to remember discussing this on the Forum, but I am not sure...I think that they want the pictures for some reason.....I am not sure either...maybe someone else will chime in.

Ted
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jeffsims
Damn. Not too long ago I received an email from my bank stating that my acct had been accessed from another state and that it was recommended that I log in and change my password. I clicked the link in my email and a web page popped up. It looked just like my bank's page. After I logged in I noticed that the web address was all jacked up. Needless to say I quickly went to the site correctly and changed the password. I as almost played. Damn Internet!
If you mouse over the link you can read the address (in Chrome it shows up in lower left hand corner of your screen, not sure about IE or Firefox) and tell before clicking on it if it is really your bank or not.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sammy
I seem to remember discussing this on the Forum, but I am not sure...I think that they want the pictures for some reason.....I am not sure either...maybe someone else will chime in.

Ted
They want the pics so they can post them as their own car on a different web location. They use your car to sucker in someone else. Hee hee hee, find a POS and send them pics of it.
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
I spoke with PayPal reps a while ago, and they said the scam lately is they send you an e-mail message that looks like it's from PayPal saying you've just received a payment. They then send someone to pick up the item and they're gone with it. Apparently the messages look quite real. You have to log into your account to see that a payment actually went in. I noticed a couple times I didn't bother to check, just assumed it was there, but since a friend nearly got scammed I check my PayPal account after every transaction, don't just rely on the e-mail message.
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:41 PM

If I'm suspicious of any email from PayPal or Ebay, I forward the email to spoof@paypal or spoof@ebay, they will confirm whether it is legit or not.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:09 AM

I have a toyota on craigslist

I have been getting these emails from a grandpa who says he is working on a offshore oil rig and he wants to buy my toyota for his grandson .He says he will pay with paypal and send a pickup service to pick it up.I sent a email that i also work on a offshore oil rig and i will fly over and pick up the cash first and only cash ,I don't trust paypal.They don't respond back!
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by raider973
I have been getting these emails from a grandpa who says he is working on a offshore oil rig and he wants to buy my toyota for his grandson .He says he will pay with paypal and send a pickup service to pick it up.I sent a email that i also work on a offshore oil rig and i will fly over and pick up the cash first and only cash ,I don't trust paypal.They don't respond back!
I like that one !! Give it right back to them.
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:31 AM
"me somebody" site member

Nice job, copying the "clickable" scam hyperlinks into your post.

Originally Posted by MellowYellow
Did someone say Paypal scam? This is what was in my email today.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Your account has been limited until we hear from you
Case ID 949-156-207
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:56:00 +0000

Hello xxxx,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason: A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional information from you in order to provide you with secure service. Case ID Number: PP-949-156-207

This is a second reminder to URL="http://www.paypal.com.vi2wdwnat3gn4ntx.wc8nmmfnkwpqbwty7p bn7r.com/cgi-bin/webscr/?login-dispatch&login_email=the_navigater@charter.net&ref =pp&login-processing=ok"]log in to PayPal[/URL as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. Be sure to log in securely by using the following link: URL="http://www.paypal.com.vi2wdwnat3gn4ntx.wc8nmmfnkwpqbwty7p bn7r.com/cgi-bin/webscr/?login-dispatch&login_email=the_navigater@charter.net&ref =pp&login-processing=ok"]Click here to login and restore your account access[/URL

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks, PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.

For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Copyright © 1999-2013 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal Email ID PP522
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:45 AM

I used to get upset by those emails. I've since seen the light.

http://www.419eater.com/

Set up a dummy email account and a Google Voice phone number and you're off and running. It's great revenge and great fun. Of course, don't do anything illegal or you're just as bad as the scum scammers.
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by henryk8398
All they need is one!

This one goes right up there with the Nigerian Banking Scams, etc.
I've got money from the dead king of Nigeria 3xs.
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM

When it comes to selling things I won't bother unless the person will actually call me. If they keep emailing when you respond and ask them to call I just ignore it.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Finn5033
When it comes to selling things I won't bother unless the person will actually call me. If they keep emailing when you respond and ask them to call I just ignore it.
Yup, exactly what I am doing now. Seems to me very few will actually call. When I buy cars etc, I see it advertised and call the person! Especially cars.
A simple phone call...

Ted
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:34 PM

If they ask for details like the price, mileage, engine size...things that are clearly listed in the ad, then they get no reply, and their email is deleted.
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:27 AM

I received that Paypal email about three months ago.

The scary one was the phone call I received on my land line about an add I had on CL. Didn't say which add and the most creepy thing: I never put my phone number on CL! How the hell did they get it?!?!?
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM

I had one like that also a couple of years ago, when I had two ads on CL, they would not say which item that they were calling about, so I hung up, I assumed that they were phishing.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Yeah but how did they get my number? It's not listed. Used hidden CL email only
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
If they ask for details like the price, mileage, engine size...things that are clearly listed in the ad, then they get no reply, and their email is deleted.
I used to run about 30 cars a month on Craigslist, I would get the same inquirey word for word on each one, unbelievable.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:47 PM

scam

lots of people out there dont do anything but what I would do is talk to the local cops and tell them what is going on and of course the scam now is a FBI case because of state lines will be crossed. but anyways take the payment send pics whatever and take the payment but leave it in paypal of course and get them to come get the car and have the cops there when they come and pick it up. the cops will get the carriers info as to where it was going to go and the FBI will get invovled as well and get them busted. also talk to paypal about this and since you have the persons e mail pay[al can check it out to see who they are and where because your paypal is also linked to a bank and there bank as well. so many laws broken here it is unreal. that is what I would do.
just saying some one has to stop these people and if you dont try they will rip off someone else maybe someone you know.