General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

SBO Bottom End Strength

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2019, 03:02 PM

SBO Bottom End Strength

I like oddball stuff so don't judge me.

I am planning a 450-500 hp forced induction build for a '67 330 ci Cutlass. I have calculated out most of what I need to accomplish this and but need a little info from real world builders like you.

How much can the stock bottom end of a small block Olds take before I need to consider installing a girdle and better caps? Anyone here ever scattered an SBO?

I'll update when I get started in the spring/summer. Working on rebuilding my lady's 67 Firebird right now (she basically gave it to me). Somewhat mild build on the bird. All off the shelf and maybe 380 hp when done. Almost went LS but the 400 was in good shape. Just drop it back in and some minor rust on the body to remove.

No motor swapping on the Olds. Just feels wrong. I've had it too long. My need for power has outgrown the motor but not my heart.
Old November 15th, 2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Will M
How much can the stock bottom end of a small block Olds take before I need to consider installing a girdle and better caps?
Rule-of-thumb: Engines don't fail due to horsepower. Engines fail due to excess RPM, engines fail due to detonation.

Originally Posted by Will M
Anyone here ever scattered an SBO?
Almost certainly. What matters is not how many have scattered, but WHY they scattered.

Scattered because of neglect--including neglecting to respect an RPM limit--just plain doesn't count. Scattered because of choosing bottom-feeder parts almost doesn't count--unless you're going to use bottom-feeder parts. Scattered because of assembly errors including incorrect clearances or outright wrong choice of parts counts very little. Scattered because the thing was tuned poorly doesn't count. Scattered because a 120,000 mile long-block got purchased by a high-school kit who then put Edelbrock Everything on it, but can't tighten the oil drain plug, means nothing.
Old November 15th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

You'll be dollars ahead to start with a DX block instead of a 330 block with a girdle.
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:06 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Big thing is the weak stock cast pistons and soft factory rods. The block and crank should be plenty strong for 500 crank horsepower.