General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Same Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2020, 05:45 AM

Same Vehicle?

Right now I have way too many projects to even think about looking for another one but like to keep my eye out for a 70-72 Vista Cruiser just in case I stumble over one. I know there are several out there and would like to find one that is complete but needs a good bit of work and reasonably priced as I will be making modifications. Anyway, looking at different sites, Trovit being one of them, and see the same car listed in different areas of the country with different prices (usually very cheap prices). I realize these ads scream scam but just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these sites.
Old December 25th, 2020, 06:46 AM

Maybe?...
Old December 25th, 2020, 07:37 AM

I would probably never get another Vista Cruiser unless it was perfect. Those roof windows are always a problem, even on cars that are out west. I think a flat top would be cool though.
Old December 25th, 2020, 07:55 AM

Not familiar with Trovit, but have had great luck with Craigslist (my 69) and eBay (my 87 442). Great deals can still be had on Craigslist but I have found eBay's listings to be quite pricey of late...
Old December 25th, 2020, 02:49 PM

I guess I should have given an example... I looks like the same blue wagon is listed 5 different places with 5 different prices. https://cars.trovit.com/used-cars/ol...-vista-cruiser.
Old December 26th, 2020, 09:44 AM

Nice looking wagon, the way I would want one myself (I'm not crazy for simulated wood grain). I see a price range of 12.5k to 24.5k cant really explain that nor the location discrepancy. But I will try to guess, maybe a consignment sale with multiple hands involved. Essentially impossible to get a truly good deal if this is the case.
Old December 26th, 2020, 10:17 AM

Agreed. I'll just keep looking as I'm in no rush. Maybe one will pop up here that someone started and lost interest in.
Old December 26th, 2020, 02:25 PM

The beat up ‘77 with side pipes makes me smile for no darn reason. I’ve called and emailed, only got a canned email reply so far. I like the absurdity of the thing.
Old December 29th, 2020, 03:27 PM

Found the website for that wagon. Looks legit. Not sure why they've not responded... You may have already seen it but figured I would post it.
https://www.classiccarsofsc.com/vdp/...-Gray-Court-SC
Old December 29th, 2020, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by rickman
Found the website for that wagon. Looks legit. Not sure why they've not responded... You may have already seen it but figured I would post it.
https://www.classiccarsofsc.com/vdp/...-Gray-Court-SC
I’m hoping it’s holidays and nothing too serious for the guy. It looks like it could be a fun time. Looking to teach my son to wrench and drive, not operate a vehicle if that makes sense. I was taught to shift by ear in a manual and to listen and feel the car. Might even be one of the last map folders of my generation at 43.
Old December 29th, 2020, 07:16 PM

I was looking for a 70-72 VC in 2016 and that blue one was for $25,000 in Harpers Ferry Virginia I think. Seemed legit then but not now. The bronze one was in Idaho that I had inspected but it had some issues and I passsed. The asking price was $8900. It sold to current seller and appears they still have it. I then found one on ebay in S Carolina that was advertised as drive anywhere except when I drove down there in rental car (12hrs) to drive home I could barely get it started. Just about gave up getting one when I had set up a search on Hemmings for one and received an email informing me of one that was exactly what I was looking for and ended up purchasing it. They are out there, mine was originally an Arizona car rock solid. Trovit in my experience had cars that were already sold or non existent. It was ironic seeing that blue one still out there. Those front bumper guards are unforgettable!!!! Good Luck!
Old December 30th, 2020, 05:35 AM

The knowledge to drive a manual is invaluable to me. I don't know how many times I've heard "I can't drive a stick...". I made sure my son's first vehicle was a stick. He didn't like it at first but thanked me later for teaching him. I also taught him how to read a map and road signs. Most people have no idea what the road sign shapes, colors, and numbers mean. Just punch the location in the phone... I guess most of the population would be totally lost if they lost their phone in a worldwide catastrophic event. Hmmm, sounds like the makings of a movie. LOL
The first car I drove when I was 16 I had to rebuild the engine before I could drive it and was a stick; the second car I drove at 17 I actually owned, had to build the engine, and was a stick. I guess that's one reason I enjoy building/fixing these things so much, creativity and the challenge.

Yeah, I know they're out there, just finding the right one. There was one on west coast I was kind of looking at but I thought was a little too much for what was there. LS conversation not finished (which I would have gone back with Old's drivetrain), body was so-so, not sure of interior. I'm certain the person selling thought it was a decent price and may have been, just not for me with all the work needed to do to it IMO. I don't want to buy one and immediately need to start looking for glass, trim, and interior pieces that are missing. Mechanical, paint/body and fixing interior I can handle. Finding parts that don't exist are a little more challenging. Similar to finding parts for a 73-77 Cutlass. I would imagine some of the parts for a VC would be even more of a task.
I've gotten cars from all over and driven with truck and trailer 12+ hours only to find the "rust free" car was eaten up with rust. One had the metal around the opera windows so bad they were ready to fall out..."no rust at all!" I guess the furthest would be an '75 H/O I flew to Denver to get. Drove it to the local parts store and had to rebuild the carb with a kit on the sidewalk beside the store. I asked the guy inside for the use of some tools and he just looked at me with his head tilted and asked "you gonna do that here, now?" I told him I didn't have a choice 'cause gas was pouring out of the top of the carburetor.. Ah, the good times of past!

Last edited by rickman; December 30th, 2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old December 30th, 2020, 01:24 PM

Trovit

Originally Posted by rickman
Right now I have way too many projects to even think about looking for another one but like to keep my eye out for a 70-72 Vista Cruiser just in case I stumble over one. I know there are several out there and would like to find one that is complete but needs a good bit of work and reasonably priced as I will be making modifications. Anyway, looking at different sites, Trovit being one of them, and see the same car listed in different areas of the country with different prices (usually very cheap prices). I realize these ads scream scam but just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these sites.
This is my experience with Trovit, This happened twice while looking for my Olds, at the time I was not looking for a Olds just something 51-57 any make, came across a 1956 Chevy 2 door wagon (kinda) not a nomad, it was actually a 4 door with the rear door handles shaved off and you could only open them from the inside anyway it all seemed to be professionally done, 350 with air beautiful interior, beautiful paint the price seemed very low for the amount of work and condition of veh. I was interested it was local and I wanted to see it , I responded to the ad via e mail as requested (several times no response) finally received a return mail with a phone # which was local, I called to make arrange ments to see the car , no dice ! per the story widow who's husband died, the car was at her mothers in FLA. and was jus sent to a shipper ??? but I could make arrangements to receive the veh and if I didnt like it return it ??? whole thing smelled bad, to low price, cant see the car ??
I also found a similar situation on a mediocre 57 Nomad , with a pretty honest description of the veh, not to far from here in Cottonwood AZ
priced low, responded to add, received email, indicating the seller was a oil company engineer working in Brazil, turns out veh not in AZ. but in Utah ?? again something not smelling right ! I moved on from both vehicles, must of been Karma shortly after my Olds fell in to my lap !
I'm not saying Trovit involved I'm sure there are plenty of legit sales but those just left a bad taste in my mouth. for what its worth my best leads came from a fellow car enthusiast who knew a classic car mech who had clients with cars for sale.

Old December 30th, 2020, 02:25 PM

Vista Cruiser

Well she isn't the year your looking for, but looks like a nice car, Here ya go Vista Cruiser Guys !!https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/d/...252676224.html