General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rustoleum Rust Reformer

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM
1967 442

Rustoleum Rust Reformer

Does anyone out there have experience with rustoleum rust reformer? I recently blasted some old sheet metal parts. No matter how long I left the blast spray on a spot, a deep red color remained in areas. I tried using the wire wheel, but no improvement. I decided to brush some rustoleum rust reformer over the area. It worked as it said it would...BUT afterwards I read the caution statement DO NOT USE ON NON RUSTED METAL. Hmmm. Most of the metal had rusted, but was removed after blasting. What is the problem if it is brushed on non rusted metal? For my luck the stuff will start corroding clean metal, but stops corrosion on rusted metal.
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:39 PM

I have used a bunch of different types of rust reformers. Some of them spray on clear and the rust turns black. I like that kind-maybe it was called extend?? I have also used the rustoleum- I think it sprays on black??? I never had it turn red, I believe it just dried flat black??(oops,I just went back and reread what you wrote, You brushed on the rustoleum - must be a different type than I used..) Anyway I don't think you will have a problem spraying it on unrusted metal- I hope not because I have done it. I also have used this stuff called "OSHPO" it comes in a jug and you spray it with a squirt bottle or put on with a brush. Then the rust turns black. Its pretty nasty and you're not supposed to get it on your cement floor because it can react. I like it because I have a rusty old Vista Cruiser and I can spray it in areas to try to stop or at least slow down rust that has already started.
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:30 PM

I don't know about the rust reformer but I've read of people using rustoleum paint on clean bare metal and once dry it starts flaking off.
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:34 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by jeffsims
Does anyone out there have experience with rustoleum rust reformer? I recently blasted some old sheet metal parts. No matter how long I left the blast spray on a spot, a deep red color remained in areas. I tried using the wire wheel, but no improvement. I decided to brush some rustoleum rust reformer over the area. It worked as it said it would...BUT afterwards I read the caution statement DO NOT USE ON NON RUSTED METAL. Hmmm. Most of the metal had rusted, but was removed after blasting. What is the problem if it is brushed on non rusted metal? For my luck the stuff will start corroding clean metal, but stops corrosion on rusted metal.
I have used these products and the extend product(turns the metal black) on a boat engine related components with great results. I didnt have any problems on bare metal
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:11 AM

The reason they say not on non rusted surfaces is because it needs the red oxide rust to convert to black oxide which will change chemically the surface. Black oxide is a rust retarder. If there is no rust there there is no chemical change so no primer on the clean rust free areas.

There are products available that combine both a converter and a red oxide primer together so you get the best of both worlds. Rust Destroyer comes to mind but there are others out there that do the same job.....Tedd
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Rust Performer

The stuff I use that turns the metal black is called One Step.
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Here is a thread on Zero Rust
http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...eum-type-paint
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:13 PM
1967 442

BEWARE....Just received this from Rustoleum customer service.....

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support. Our brush on version of Rust Reformer should only be applied to rusted surfaces. If applied to clean or non rusted metal, it will promote rust.

Thank you

Armando

How in the frick do you brush it only on rusted surfaces without touching non rusted areas around the rust spots?