General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ross Racing Engines

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2019, 08:16 PM

Ross Racing Engines

This is my second post on this topic of Ross Racing engines.
I bring it up again because I've been in touch with a guy in Virginia who's 6 years into the wait for his engine.
I know that the shops reputation is impeccable, but so was Mondelloes before people started talking to one another!
All that I would like to know is if you have a deposite and promise of an engine with Tony Lombardi and how long it has been since that deposite was made. Or, if you know someone in the same predicament.
It's been well over 2 years for me now !
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

No way I would wait 6 years. That is beyond ridiculous. Two years would be a stretch for me. No reason for that.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:48 PM

Id e demanding a refund and moving on. There are other shops who value their customers and do a great job.
Old October 25th, 2019, 11:16 PM

Points of information.
1. Mondello had an impeccable reputation until the BUYER OF THE COMPANY changed the reputation to the worst. That "Mondello" is in Pasa Robles, California. It wasn't because people were talking to one another.
2. Bernard Mondello Racing (in Corona, California) is well respected.
3. KQQLCAT picked up his completed engine about October 5th
..........................Just my two cents worth.
Old October 26th, 2019, 04:01 AM

Jmo, I've met the Father, nice guy, guru with the 371/394's, also knowledgeable with the later Olds. I talked with the Son about some lifters earlier this year, I've never met him in person, he did say he was very busy. I know a car guy that worked for the Father for a couple years but 25 years ago. He cleaned up the shop, he said the Father was very fussy and especially the engine room was spotless. The guy was a good mechanic but the Father wouldn't let him do any assembling. He had only good things to say about the Father's engine ability. I'm really surprised to hear your problem. I live 6 miles from Ross Engines. When your in business, every engine should be of priority. I'm hoping this has a good ending, soon. Keep us updated.
Old October 26th, 2019, 06:13 AM

Instead of coming on here, then talking to someone who is probably going to wait almost a decade for his engine, wouldn’t it be smarter to... I don’t know- actually contact Tony himself? Why people think he is the only person on planet earth that can machine and assemble a first generation Olds engine is beyond me
Old October 26th, 2019, 06:32 AM

Socialized medicine doesn't even operate that slow.

Unless Ross Racing's waiting room looks like this:

...I don't care how hospitalized their operating room is, or how good they are, there's no way in hell I would wait 6 years. 2 years would be the limit for me. Totally understandable if the line wraps around the block (no pun), similar to the Soup **** on Seinfeld because it's the best of the best and none are finer, but if your kids graduate college before you get your engine, is it worth that kind of wait? "NO ENGINE FOR YOU!"

But 6 years? What, is he doing, installing 1 part per week? When you finally see your engine again, it's got at least half a decade of retro-technology in it. It'd be like buying a new engine built in 2013. Or consider someone else that started when you did has over 100 runs on their build already by the time you get yours back. What is the real cost of opportunity you're losing?

Totally absurd. Ask for a refund.
Old October 26th, 2019, 08:10 AM

I’m the guy in Va!!!

Geezzz!!! I’m going to give y’all a short version of my journey and I have emails, receipts and witnesses to phone calls and a witness to the day of me driving to his shop to get the engine in which I ended up leaving without!! This began Nov. 13, 2013 I called Ross Racing Engines and was greeted by a nice guy on the other end. We talked about the Olds history and I could tell he was way more knowledgeable than myself about Oldsmobile. I ran by him what I was wanting for my dads 63 Starfire and he made some recommendations and I had a few request and we ended the phone call with he would email me with a build sheet. He did and when I received it I called him back and told him it looked great to go ahead and build it at a total of approx $12,000. He said I need half down and I have about 20 motors in front of you. I told him not a problem I have about 2 years worth of work on the car before I need it anyways. $6,500 down payment was requested the check was sent to Ross and cashed shortly after. Then 2 years went by and I made the phone call to Tony asking where he was on the engine. He said he had it on the stand but had not made a batch of heads. I make everything in batches. I’m working on it. I haven’t forgotten about you. I said that’s OK I was just checking on it. The summer of 2016 rolled around and I called him once again. He said I’m sorry I’ve been covered up and I’m a one man show. Can’t find anybody that wants to work. But bear with me I’m working on it. I said OK. I called the spring of 2017 and he told me the he had a new machine that he was learning. He said that he had no help and was covered up. “I’ve created a monster!” I’m working on it and calling me doesn’t get it done any sooner. That’s when I told him what I thought about his any sooner comment. Spring 2018 call Mr.Tony and by now I’m starting to lose my cool. He tells me I’m working on it. I’m trying to get caught up and make it happen for you. I told him I either want my engine or my money back either one. He told me “I don’t have the money to give you”. I said well looks like it’s going to be an engine then. It going to be one or the other. He said I’ll get it done just give me a few more months. I said how much longer is a few more months. He said spring of 2019! I said OK! Now Spring of 2019 rolled around and I called! Guess what! You guessed it! No engine! I called him and of course he had the same old excuses. I have to order a set of valve covers because the rockers are hitting the ones I have and you requested shiny ones and my daughter is coming in and we are going racing and I don’t get to spend much time with her! Blah Blah Blah! So I told him give me my money! He said I will have the engine. I said OK only with a letter of guarantee. He gave me a letter of guarantee with a finish date of September 30, 2019. GUESS WHAT!!! SURPRISE!!!!!! No Engine!!! On Oct. 7 I called Tony and told him I wanted the engine and he said he was leaving going racing and wouldn’t be back until Monday. Monday I called and ask what day to pick it up he said I’ll call you when I have it ready. I left out Friday morning to Niles OH to see for myself what was going on and about half way there he called and said my engine was ready to pickup. I thought FINALLY!! Here’s where things get sketchy again! I had ask to be there for the pull on the dyno (didn’t happen due to insurance reasons he said), I was suppose to get the dyno sheet (didn’t happen due to people bothering him because their buddy’s dyno says it didn’t show what his dyno did) My dad ask what did the motor show on his dyno and Tony told him around 340! Dad said well they were documented at 345 from the factory and Tony said that the factory lied about that number. I said well let’s see this thing! OH MY!! First things first! This was a quoted complete 394 engine for 1963 Starfire. Let me say I’m not wanting to stay completely original at all but evething does have to work with all my existing stuff such as ps/alternator etc. I see this engine and realized it is an early 394 by the water pump! I knelt down beside it and put my hand on the bell housing and the paint is still tacky. I get to the front and the paint is pulled off both water necks. I’m sure this is due to clamping the hoses on for the dyno run. The valve covers look they have been dug out of a junk yard. They have dings and scratches and polishing compound all over them. I ask him why and his answer was they are NOS and are over 50 years old what do you expect. I said well I didn’t ask for NOS and I don’t think I’m getting quite what I’m paying for. He said take it or leave it. I told my dad to leave it and that’s when Tony said if you leave it there are no refunds. This is where it gets interesting!! My dad and I converse around the side of the building and come to the conclusion that he sort of has us because it’s not worth going back and forth over and attorneys and trips to OH so we will take the engine and chalk it up as lesson learned. We go inside to pay and I get my check book out and Tony says “Oh No I don’t take checks. Cash Only!” He said you knew that and I told him I knew nothing of it. He laid down the receipt and said I need “can’t quote due to not having receipt with me right now” but in the neighborhood of $7400. He said you can go to the bank and try to get cash or whatever but I have to have cash. Well no such luck. I went back and told him nothing I could do and he finally said well I can take the check and ship it to you once the check clears. That will save you the taxes anyways. Well that’s been over a week now. Guess time will tell!! Shouldn’t I have at least got a KISS!! Oh and let me ADD ONE! ROSS HIS DAD sit behind the counter while all this went on and chuckled ever once in awhile especially when I called Tony a liar! There’s plenty more I’m just hitting the high spots. I read the Good Guys article and would have never dreamed that the people in that article were the people I met that day I guess a customer aggravating you for 4 years after you had 2 years for a total of 6 years to build his engine is reason enough to treat him that way. I’ve only been this sick one other time in my life and that was the one time I bought a Ford! I would like for Tony to come on here and defend himself, his dad and Ross Racing. Every story has 2 sides and y’all are only hearing my side of it. I feel it’s only fair that y’all hear his side on here as well. Just maybe someone can get him to respond to this!

Last edited by Vern's 63 Starfire; December 12th, 2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old October 26th, 2019, 08:20 AM

WOW!! terrible....
Old October 26th, 2019, 08:46 AM

Omg I would have got cash loaded up engine then beat him down to the ground.
Old October 26th, 2019, 11:30 AM

Wow, 6K down payment plus $7,400! That's totally unacceptable. I've met/talked to the Father at NE Oh Oldsmobile Club meet at Alliance, Oh. Never met the Son. I can't believe their still in business. Almost sounds like another Oldsmobile Guru that was in Louisville; Ohio. He was a racing Olds guru. Great guy but then it all went bad. Pretty much the same story. He's no longer into Oldsmobiles engine buildings, as far as I know. I find it "odd" that the 400 E engine I saw "in the crate" had dyno sheet and the engine made 340 horsepower, hmmmm, sounds familiar. I'm 6 miles from Ross and I have two Lawyers in my family, just saying (:•》
Old October 26th, 2019, 11:51 AM

I hear they're going to change the name to "Ross-F**k-You-In-The-A**-Racing-Engines." "You bring us the crank, and we'll give you the shaft!"

Deplorable. I wasn't even screwed and my blood boils over azzhats like this. And it's almost incredulous. That sonofabeech isn't an Olds guy, he's just a friggin' weasel that needs some calibration. Wonder how many people he's fleeced?

Next time, for almost $2K less and an extra 216 HP......

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...507-R/10002/-1
Old October 26th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Seems like they've been not quite so helpful to others either...I would never recommend these bozos to anyone. At some point they may have been good, but after that turning point, they seem to don't need customers any longer.

4 years ago:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-costs.983391/

Read the complaint from 1 year ago (looks similar):
https://www.bbb.org/us/oh/niles/prof...-0432-13000783

I guess they got enough of people's money now. Probably related to Frank at Billions and Trillions.
Old October 27th, 2019, 06:57 AM

Your engine is coming I seen what I believe is your tranny 700R4 right. You have to be patient I know, these are not Chevy belly button engines.
Just got my 394 and posted a pic in the engine section.
Old October 27th, 2019, 11:47 AM

Hi KQQLKAT,
what i'm reading here seems to go way past what anyone should have to wait for an engine. I'm also having trouble with Vern not getting the correct year engine for his car. The pulley system on a 62 won't work on a 63. 6 years and wrong engine, these are not hard to locate as all 63 394's have the same block, pan, front water pump housing and crankshaft. tony supplied aluminium heads for this engine and it only puts out 340 HP on a dyno and won't give you the slip. You might want to check your engine out at a local shop that has the correct dyno machine. With what you guys are spending on a 394 engine rebuild I would now after hearing this want an impartial company to check the engine. Spending 13K+ on a rebuild I would want proof that it's worth that.
Steve
Old October 27th, 2019, 01:55 PM

6 years is ludicrous. These engines, while they might not by SBC's are not that complicated at all. Standard machining, nothing exotic. The most difficult thing seems to be sourcing parts but machining and assembly should not be taking so long. We're not talking 16 valve heads and dual overhead camshafts here. I would have considered Ross but now I think i would just have the machining done locally and assemble it myself. I don't have 2-6 years to wait on an engine.....thats the kind of thing that DOOMS projects.
Old October 28th, 2019, 05:24 AM

KQQLKAT,
How much more patience do you think I should have left after 6 years. You and others might receive what you paid for and I may be that 1 in a million but I’m that 1 that has all the documentation to make it a legal matter. I’ve tried to give Tony every chance possible to right his wrong.
Old October 28th, 2019, 05:35 AM

6 Years is ridiculous I agree. Tony has in the past always treated me right. I won't make excuses for him. That's all I will say about it.
Old October 28th, 2019, 07:13 AM

KQQLKAT,
I’m not asking anybody to get involved. Dennis simply ask a question and I gave him an honest answer. Now at no point other than me asking if someone that knew Tony on here that could get him to come on here and let everyone get his side of the story did I ask anybody else to get involved. I do hope that I’m the only one that has ever or ever will be taken for a ride by Ross Racing Engines not that I wanted to be the one but I will handle the problem in the correct manner. This is just a WARNING of what can happen with this company. If Tony is the man he portrays himself to be why is it so hard to produce a Complete 1963 394 Ross Racing Head engine $6500 up front in 6 years at 13k+. All he has to do is come on here and give one simple answer and clear everything up. That’s it!!

Last edited by Vern's 63 Starfire; November 1st, 2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old October 28th, 2019, 04:42 PM

If this forum isn't the place for this type of problem then where else? And it's not like there was no communication between us, it happened weekly and into the second year it got to monthly because when I would ask him how's the engine coming the answer was always the same " oh it's coming right along ".So put that in your pipe and smoke it SMARTY!
Old October 28th, 2019, 05:07 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

If I ever see anyone talking about using this outfit I will be referring them here to read and judge for themselves.
This is the place to post to help save any other's from dealing with an ordeal like this.
6 years...wow! unbelievable!
Old November 21st, 2019, 05:49 AM

same boat..

I'm in the same boat. 6.5k down payment over 6 years ago and nothing but broken promises. He also refuses to refund. I'm in Australia which makes it all the more difficult. Ended up selling my '58 olds 88 at the 5 yr mark as I had given up on the idea of ever getting the motor. Not sure where to go from here... Any advise?
Old November 21st, 2019, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Joesen
I'm in the same boat. 6.5k down payment over 6 years ago and nothing but broken promises. He also refuses to refund. I'm in Australia which makes it all the more difficult. Ended up selling my '58 olds 88 at the 5 yr mark as I had given up on the idea of ever getting the motor. Not sure where to go from here... Any advise?
class action lawsuit with other guy who had a problem. I don't know i just know you were cheated by your post.

Old November 21st, 2019, 10:50 AM

I haven't talked to Tony since the week after I made the post on Oct 28. Your another 6 yr+ victim. Tony said that he would have my engine/trans soon. If he doesn't deliver "soon" I have a plan that would involve all victims coming forward .
Dennis
Old November 21st, 2019, 12:53 PM
Administrator

I've referred a lot of people to Tony in the past and will rethink that exercise in the future. Waiting and hoping you get this resolved.
Old November 21st, 2019, 03:25 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Wow, 6K down payment plus $7,400! That's totally unacceptable. I've met/talked to the Father at NE Oh Oldsmobile Club meet at Alliance, Oh. Never met the Son. I can't believe their still in business. Almost sounds like another Oldsmobile Guru that was in Louisville; Ohio. He was a racing Olds guru. Great guy but then it all went bad. Pretty much the same story. He's no longer into Oldsmobiles engine buildings, as far as I know. I find it "odd" that the 400 E engine I saw "in the crate" had dyno sheet and the engine made 340 horsepower, hmmmm, sounds familiar. I'm 6 miles from Ross and I have two Lawyers in my family, just saying (:•》
I luckily got my crank from Smitty, thought I was screwed, took a long time. It really stalled my build, was hesitant to send any amount of money to anyone for a long time. I hope to finally get it done this winter.
Old November 21st, 2019, 04:29 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am still having heartburn on spending over $12,000 for an engine even if you received it. Dang. It sounds like Tony has gone over the edge and is destroying what the old man built. Very unfortunate.
Old November 21st, 2019, 04:49 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

In threw a crankshaft through a machine shops shop vehicle for screwing me over for 300 bucks. I couldn't imagine how i would feel at 6 years and 10k plus. I would NOT wait one more day. Hire a private investigator and set him up. Call the local news. Make a spectacle out of it. That's what i would do.
Old December 5th, 2019, 04:33 PM

Ross racing engines

I too made the mistake of using Tony, I got sucked in by the rodders journal... Took 3 years of hassle, at one point he told me I didn’t need the engine!!he couldn’t get cylinder heads, water pump, pistons and the list goes on.. Won’t answer his phone, doesn’t reply to a text, but you see him at a car show or race track he kisses your butt. I heard so many stories I could write a book. I received no dyno sheets, no build sheets I have no idea what’s inside this 15K engine but according to him it’s a nascar engine. I hate the engine, I hate that I got fooled by one of the most dishonest people I’ve ever met who treats his customers like your bothering him when you call and ask for an update. At one point I asked for everything back, he laughed, I knew I’d be out my deposit as I know he’s broke. I know a guy who paid his bill at the Pattern shop/foundry and got his Buick Nailhead pattern for the 4-71 blower manifold.

I’ll spend my time telling everyone how big of a crook he is and only buy crate engines from now on.

and I’m not the only guy, I know a guy in Japan who’s in for 25K and nearly 6 years on a Ross/Hilton project, a fellow in Virginia who lost 5K on a hemi, another guy in Ohio who got his engine and the bill was 10K more than quoted, I have all this in emails and direct messages from the H.A.M.B. No I won’t post or share them because they are private.

oOne day Tony will F the wrong guy and it will all come around, I was happy someone sent me a link to this thread to keep buyers informed.

I know exactly what all you other victims feel, keep on the rat, keep calling keep texting it will get finished... good luck!!!