General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Roof rail seal too big?

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2016, 09:44 AM

Question Roof rail seal too big?

I thought while I was waiting for my rear end to get done I'd go ahead and install the Metro roof rail seals I bought a while back (stored in box indoors). The old one came off in brittle chunks so yeah, it was time. But these things seem huge and won't allow the two windows to seal with a major gap between.

They seemed to go in just fine, trimmed a little off the length and used a spot of adhesive here and there, and test fitted before final assemble. But I didn't check the two windows. Is this something that will "settle" and eventually seal or do I need to yank them and.....?

The seal between the windows is new, replaced last year with no trouble.
Thoughts?
Old June 25th, 2016, 10:12 AM

Okay, I got it.....sort of. I trimmed some of the length (too much) that supposed to squeeze in to the sail panel area. Now, when I'm rolling the back window up, if I jerk it forward while rolling it comes out far enough to seal with the front window. Guess I won't be rolling that window down until next summer until after it conforms. I'm also not going to do the driver's side. It needs it but doesn't leak water or air so I'm leaving well enough alone.