General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

ROD OR CABLE ON A 67 CUTLASS WITH ST300

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM

ROD OR CABLE ON A 67 CUTLASS WITH ST300

I HAVE A 67 CUTLASS SUPREME. ORIGINALLY HAD A COLUMN SHIFT BUT NOW TRYING TO INSTALL A FLOOR SHIFT. AFTER BOLTING DOWN THE CONSOLE BRACKET AND THE FACTORY SHIFTER ,THE FACTORY CABLE SEEMS TO BE TO SHORT. AFTER FURTHER COMPLICATIONS IT SEEMS I HAVE THE WRONG SHIFTER AND CABLE. I THINK I NEED THE 66 SHIFTER THAT USES THE ROD. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A 67 THAT USES A ROD? I REALLY DONT WANT TO USE A 66 BUT I WILL IF I HAVE TO. DOES ANYONE HAVE EITHER FOR SALE? OR KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE ONE?
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by PAULIE
I HAVE A 67 CUTLASS SUPREME. ORIGINALLY HAD A COLUMN SHIFT BUT NOW TRYING TO INSTALL A FLOOR SHIFT. AFTER BOLTING DOWN THE CONSOLE BRACKET AND THE FACTORY SHIFTER ,THE FACTORY CABLE SEEMS TO BE TO SHORT. AFTER FURTHER COMPLICATIONS IT SEEMS I HAVE THE WRONG SHIFTER AND CABLE. I THINK I NEED THE 66 SHIFTER THAT USES THE ROD. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A 67 THAT USES A ROD? I REALLY DONT WANT TO USE A 66 BUT I WILL IF I HAVE TO. DOES ANYONE HAVE EITHER FOR SALE? OR KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE ONE?
First, please locate your CAPS LOCK button and turn it off.

Second, you do not need the 66 shifter. The 67 cars used the same floor shifter and console as the 68-69 cars. You may need a different cable and/or trans bracket that holds the cable.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM

rod or cable

ha ha, found the caps button. Thanks for you in put Joe. But what Im thinking is the years dont matter. Its the transmission. I think the st300 uses the rod. Im no expert but thas what it looks like. because there is no room for a bracket to be installed on the front side of the pan. It looks like it needs to come from the backside, which the rod does that. I know they were on the 66 cutlass but I dont know about the 67
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

ha ha, found the caps button. Thanks for you in put Joe. But what Im thinking is the years dont matter. Its the transmission. I think the st300 uses the rod. Im no expert but thas what it looks like. because there is no room for a bracket to be installed on the front side of the pan. It looks like it needs to come from the backside, which the rod does that. I know they were on the 66 cutlass but I dont know about the 67
The ST300 was used through the 1969 model year. The 67-69 cars did not use rod shifters, they used cables.
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM

rod or cable

I use to have a 66 holiday coupe conv. that had the rod shifter. And I alo seen the rod shifter on ebay sometimes. But if what you say is correct I cant see why there is only 1 bolt for the bracket that would hold the cable steady. I thought they needed 2. And I'll need a cable about 2ft longer
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM

rod or cable

Ok Joe I was looking at a diagram of a set up using the cable. It shows the cable hooking up from the back side like I was saying the rod should be. But My problem is the arm, where the cable hooks up to the tranny, is to the back in the park gear and towards the front in drive gear. Isnt the cable supposed to pull the arm to accelerate and the rod push? Since the arm is towards the back in park, it needs to go forward to go into drive. Do you have any suggestions?
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ok Joe I was looking at a diagram of a set up using the cable. It shows the cable hooking up from the back side like I was saying the rod should be. But My problem is the arm, where the cable hooks up to the tranny, is to the back in the park gear and towards the front in drive gear. Isnt the cable supposed to pull the arm to accelerate and the rod push? Since the arm is towards the back in park, it needs to go forward to go into drive. Do you have any suggestions?
I can't say that I completely follow what you're trying to say.

One more time, the 67 cars used a cable for the console shifter on both the ST300 and TH400 transmissions. Both the cable and the rod are capable of both pushing and pulling. You need the correct lever on the trans and the correct bracket to hold the cable to the trans pan. I suspect that the correct brackets for the floor shift cable on an ST300 are tough to come by, since the TH350 and TH400 versions are much more popular.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM

cable or rod

'hey joe' I think I found my problem with the pull not pushing. I have the arm upside down. I have a bracket for the cable but it goes to a 350. Now that I have a start hopefully the cable bracket will work. I'll let you know. I'm going try to post pics also.