General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Road trip, back from the gold country

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:07 PM

Road trip, back from the gold country

Put a little under 500 miles on the Olds in what we call the gold country. We mostly were using HWY 49 as our main road then diverted to where our curiously led us. Georgetown was one of our first diversions, this old mining town is probably known better now as the starting off point for the Rubicon Jeep trail but in February it's just a sleepy place waiting for summer.The next stop was Coloma thats where the gold rush all started in California and from there it was south with a settlement every ten or twelve miles finally ending up south of Sonora. Great trip with a ton of history enhanced by absolutely fantastic beautiful weather for the whole trip.I'm going to try and post some pictures(we took a ton) and get them in some kind of reasonable order, Hope you enjoy it was fun....Tedd

#1 picture is of downtown Georgetown most every building there was hundred years old.#2 pic is Coloma State Park with a working Blacksmith shop. Third is the old jail .#4 is Sutters Mill where gold was first found. #5 Is a unique buildings in Almador another old gold town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
004 Gorgetown downtown RS.jpg (69.4 KB, 43 views)
011 Coloma Jail RS.jpg (76.5 KB, 36 views)
013 Coloma RS.jpg (90.1 KB, 37 views)
015 Amador City RS.jpg (99.0 KB, 36 views)
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM

Here are a few more The trip goes on

Angles Camp is probably known more for Mark Twain and the Calaveras Frog jumping contest but it also started it's life out as a very rich gold rush town, here are a few from that area...Tedd

#1 Mark twain bust in window, everything was frog or Mark Twain related in this town

#2 there must have been a hundred of these placards in the sidewalk, . If you win you get your name and frogs name stuck there for all to see, some were as old as 1860.

#3 Mark Twain's Cabin

#4 Angles Camp Museum

#5 Less than modern phone booth National Hotel Jackson
Attached Images
035 Mark Twain's Cabin RS.jpg (91.4 KB, 25 views)
Angles Camp RS.jpg (70.0 KB, 23 views)
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM

Final frw.... Tedd
Attached Images
003 Sunrise Olds Rs.jpg (36.3 KB, 24 views)
025 Columbia Gold house RS.jpg (64.1 KB, 34 views)
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Randy C.

I see you used the "safe" tires and wheels! Did you have any snow up there? I'm not sure if that's high enough for snow this time of year.

I took a similar trip last summer from Tahoe via Hwy 88 to Jackson and then south to Angels Camp. I wanted to find the old Chevy dealership there where my '71 Corvette was delivered new. The building is still there and it is now an automotive repair business but the Chevy bow tie is still on the building, covered with a black canvas. On the return to Tahoe from Angels Camp, we went north on 49 to Hwy 50 and back to the lake.

That's interesting country up there - a part of California that perhaps not many people see as they are more interested in making time on I-5 or I-80. We enjoyed that excusion very much and I'm sure you did, too.

Thanks for the pics and the report, Tedd. I always enjoy reading your stories and seeing your pictures. And, you do have a neat car, too!

Randy
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing Ted, looks like it was a fun trip.
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:18 PM

Looks like a great trip. I am just a little jealous as its still in the 40's and raining hear is Washington and the 57 is still under wraps..

Damn you have a fine looking Olds
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:45 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sounds like you all had a great time.

Thanks for the great pics.

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM

It was a exceptionally gorgeous trip near 70 later in the day the hills look like a golf course, came close to putting the top down on several occasions but the days are to short to mess with putting it down for only a couple of hours( mornings were very brisk almost freezing). Like I said earlier we traveled just short of 500 miles and got 12.7 MPG, not the best I have gotten but I was on and off the gas all day long,the roads are good but very twisty.

The only mishaps were the right hand mirror fell off ten miles out of Chico and I had a weird problem with the power brakes not holding a vacuum one morning for about five minutes. I'm in the process of checking that out now, I thing the vacuum valve may have frozen open but I'm not sure as yet. I hate intermittent stuff. Oh and the gas gage when completely full will only read 3/4 tank, thats a first also. All in all a great trip and we are planning another in the fall to Mount Rushmore Wounded Knee and the Custer Battlefield, That could be a two weeker if I have my way....Still lost in the fifties but not looking to find my way back....Tedd
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:23 PM

Sounds like a very nice trip.

A couple of quick corrections in case people are trying to find the towns you mention on a map.

It's not "Almador," I believe it's "Amador City."

Also, it's not "Angles Camp," it's "Angels Camp."

I'm actually a bit of a ghost town/mining town buff myself, and I visited Amador City back in the '90s.

Last edited by jaunty75; March 1st, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:05 AM
One part at a time

Great pictures and awesome car! Thanks a ton for sharing!!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:11 AM
Old School Olds

The wife and I are hoping to do
some road tripping one of these days.
That really looks like fun!
That is one fine looking 88 Tedd, very nice.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:25 AM

Great pics and a fine car as well! Looks like a fun trip for sure, despite the minor problems. Thanks for sharing!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Sounds like a very nice trip.

A couple of quick corrections in case people are trying to find the towns you mention on a map.

It's not "Almador," I believe it's "Amador City."

Also, it's not "Angles Camp," it's "Angels Camp."

I'm actually a bit of a ghost town/mining town buff myself, and I visited Amador City back in the '90s.
Jaunty if you ever plan a ghost town trip in Nevada let me know I have spent many days trekking through most of northern Nevada checking out old Nevada Towns and mining sites, It's one of my many hobbies. And you are correct on the spelling I often confuse Almanor and Amador a place near me....Tedd
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:23 AM

Great pics Ted! Thanks for sharing. I would love to see those old towns. It would be a long road trip for me though. Grace and I are planning a lot of road trips ihere on the right coast in the Cutlass when it is done. By the way I know I am in the minority on your previous post on which tires and wheels look best but I love the Chromes and Radials. The great thing is you have both so you can change the whole attitude of your car to suit your mood.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM

WOW great stuff. As I sit here looking at all the snow I couldn't be more jealous. I want to take my 64 to the Badlands in SD and to Devils Tower. There should be a special forum for "ROAD TRIPS"
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
WOW great stuff. As I sit here looking at all the snow I couldn't be more jealous. I want to take my 64 to the Badlands in SD and to Devils Tower. There should be a special forum for "ROAD TRIPS"
I agree, that would be a great category for a forum though one can get lost trying to figure out the proper place to post as it is now.

Thanks to all who complemented my car I try to keep it up, it's getting harder with it's and my age but I try she certainly deserves it....Lost in the fifties and not looking for the way back....Tedd
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Jaunty if you ever plan a ghost town trip in Nevada let me know
Thank. I will!
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM

X2 on the "Road Trips" section for posts. I bet it would be popular and encourage everyone to get out and enjoy their cars.