General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Richie of Street Wise Performance

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:55 PM

Hi guys. I want to start off by saying, I'm a chevy guy, and created this account just to pass this info on, and to hopefully help someone out, also I thought there would be some guys here that might be interested in what I have to post. It's mostly bad news, but there it may be able to help some people out here, and I'm all for helping my fellow GM brethren in the BOP camp if I can. I'm not sure if this really is the right place for me to post this, but for anyone in NJ/NY/PA may have heard of a company Street-Wise Performance that was owned, and operated for over 30 years by a guy by the name of Richie. He built rear ends, transmissions, and had a bunch of other parts. He used to contribute a lot on a bunch of different forums and helped a lot of people out by giving advice, technical info, etc., anyway he passed away not that long ago. All his remaining parts are still in his old shop, and his daughter is trying to get rid of as much as she can, and have it go to good use, rather then get it junked.

I literally bought today a date coded 12 bolt from a 1970 chevelle, posi, gears, rebuild kit, yolk, etc. While we were talking she asked me to get the word out to see who would be interested, as . She has no exaggeration over 60 rears, including 12 bolts for chevelles, camaros, g-bodies, bop, ford 9in, plus gears, transmission parts, transmissions, shifters, rebuild kits, heads, intakes, carbs, engine blocks the list goes on. I'm not a vendor or anything, he personally helped me out when I first bought my chevelle when in high school in 2001, and helped me get a plan and was a huge wealth of information, so I figured I would pass on the the sad news, and try to help out his daughter if I could as a pay it forward kind of thing. let me know if need and i can pass it on to her.
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Old School Olds

Very nice of you to do this for her.
Will she let you post a phone # or
e-mail address? That would help for sure.
Best of luck.
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:40 PM

i hear ya on that. i know she doesn't want her number or email posted, as she's afraid its going to be like craigslist and get tons of spam. i'm sorta acting like a middleman at the moment, and as people let me know what they're looking for i'll pass it on to her to get price and availability. it's also because there were some people that have tried to scam her on the parts, making deals breaking them, etc. so i'm trying to help stop that to make her life easier. she's unbelievably nice and overwhelmed with the amount of parts there, i mean it's over 3000 sq ft of parts.
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:02 PM

I sure could use a posi and some gears like 355,s 342,s I have a 12 bolt with 10 bolt inerds you can contact me , here or at johnnyjaws@verizon.net thanks.
Old August 21st, 2014, 01:53 PM

so i promised to post the video of the garage and all the parts. this should give you an idea of what and how much is there and why i'm trying to help out.

Old August 21st, 2014, 02:00 PM

WOW!
I'm overwhelmed just looking
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:11 PM

I need a set of 3.23 or 3.42 gears for a 12 bolt Olds "O" type.
If she has a set, I'd be very interested.
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
WOW!
yea, that's one of the reasons i wanted to help them out. i spent like 3 hours there when i was putting together the rear i bought. i went through all the date codes on the a-body area, went through a wall of gears, 3 shelves of posi's, and just looking at what's there. like i said, richie was an awesome guy in the classic car, and performance community, his daughter and husband are really nice, good people. i figured i can barely make a dent, but i'm sure there's a lot of other guys in our communities that would need something. which would help take the burden off of them and make there lives easier.

it's really sad, cause i never got to meet him, but i know through some of the communities he provided advice and direction, and as soon as i posted about his death and the situation a lot of people all over the country have said the same thing, and talked about how amazing he was, the quality of his work, and just an all around good guy. it makes me sad i didn't get to meet him in person. before i left with the rear, i asked if i could have one of his old business stickers for my toolbox, because even though i didn't deal with him personally, in the end he helped me tremendously, and i want to help keep his memory alive.
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 67442nut
I need a set of 3.23 or 3.42 gears for a 12 bolt Olds "O" type.
If she has a set, I'd be very interested.
i'll let you know as soon as i do.
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:35 PM
morgan

count me in for type o 3.42 gears
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:35 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by 71beast
so i promised to post the video of the garage and all the parts. this should give you an idea of what and how much is there and why i'm trying to help out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fohZZR7K4g
Wow, just wow.
I could go for an Olds W 455 AL intake.
Do you know if there are any of those
or the W 350's?
Old August 21st, 2014, 04:01 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by scrappie
WOW!
and Whew!

That's a hoard of parts. Nice of you to help out.
Old August 21st, 2014, 04:01 PM

tru-blue: i know i saw some intakes, not a huge amount. i know a lot of the blocks are chevy, either sbc or bbc, but i will pass it on and see if they got it.

pogo: you're the 3rd or 4th who asked for 3.42 gears so they're definitely being looked into. as soon as i know i'll let you know.

believe it or not don, it's not a hoard at all. richie built rears, engines, and transmissions for a lot of racer cars in the area for over 30 years. so most of this is stock to rebuild for people on demand, finished rears to be sold, rear in the process of being rebuilt, shortblocks, etc. so its not like he just collected. basically the business had to close suddenly and its needs to go. with that being said, she's asking fair prices for things, they're not being given away for nothing, so don't think that's happening

Last edited by 71beast; August 21st, 2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: commenting on post while i was making mine originally
Old August 21st, 2014, 04:10 PM

Unbelievable.Did you see the trans cases on the sealing.
railguy
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Railguy
Unbelievable.Did you see the trans cases on the sealing.
railguy
yea, tell me about it. if you saw in the back room there's crates of parts to rebuilt 4 speeds to go with those trans cases, and all the ones that were built ready to go on the side. it's unreal. that's also why i want to get it all into the hands of guys i know that no only need them, but will appreciate the parts and the work that he put into them.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:08 AM

I have a 74 Omega.I hate to say it but same as a nova.I need a posi differential 3.73 gears.It's a ten bolt 30 splines on the pinion 28 on the axles and like I said a 74 for all practical purposes a nova.Problem is I have no idea what would fit and since the owner has passed away.could any one help me.
railguy
Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:31 AM
morgan

tru-blue: i know i saw some intakes, not a huge amount. i know a lot of the blocks are chevy, either sbc or bbc, but i will pass it on and see if they got it.

pogo: you're the 3rd or 4th who asked for 3.42 gears so they're definitely being looked into. as soon as i know i'll let you know.

believe it or not don, it's not a hoard at all. richie built rears, engines, and transmissions for a lot of racer cars in the area for over 30 years. so most of this is stock to rebuild for people on demand, finished rears to be sold, rear in the process of being rebuilt, shortblocks, etc. so its not like he just collected. basically the business had to close suddenly and its needs to go. with that being said, she's asking fair prices for things, they're not being given away for nothing, so don't think that's happening
Ok, let me know..thanks
Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:31 AM

I have a 74 Omega.I hate to say it but same as a nova.I need a posi differential 3.73 gears.It's a ten bolt 30 splines on the pinion 28 on the axles and like I said a 74 for all practical purposes a nova.Problem is I have no idea what would fit and since the owner has passed away.could any one help me.
railguy
i'll look into it man. can you find out if its a BOP or chevy 10 bolt, and if it's 8.2 or 8.5?

i found this which will hopefully help.
http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/10bolt-tech.htm

let me know and i'll see what i can do. i think internally things should be interchangeable, but i'm not 100%.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure,I've got a 74 Apollo parts car that looks the same.I tore it apart a few years ago I thought I remembered it to be 7.625.But it sure looks like 8.5-8.2.I cleaned the shop out last winter and throw away the differential.I'm going on vacation on Sunday so I won't be able to check for sure for week or so.But before we in vest to much time in it see if you can PM me a ball park price.Work is slow right now I can't spend too much on it and I don't want to cheat anybody either.
Apollo
IMG_3975.jpg
Omega
IMG_3978.jpg
railguy

I live in Spring Run Pa. Can you tell me how far this place is?

Last edited by Railguy; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
Aloha, Tony

PM Sent
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:15 PM

I'm not sure,I've got a 74 Apollo parts car that looks the same.I tore it apart a few years ago I thought I remembered it to be 7.625.But it sure looks like 8.5-8.2.I cleaned the shop out last winter and throw away the differential.I'm going on vacation on Sunday so I won't be able to check for sure for week or so.But before we in vest to much time in it see if you can PM me a ball park price.Work is slow right now I can't spend too much on it and I don't want to cheat anybody either.
Apollo
Attachment 99384
Omega
Attachment 99385
railguy

I live in Spring Run Pa. Can you tell me how far this place is?
My book says 8.5 with 2.73 or 3.07 being the only thing in it.I'm the 2nd owner pretty sure it's original.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
morgan

Beast, can i get a price and availability of a working rock crusher tranny? early 69

Last edited by pogo69; August 23rd, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old August 24th, 2014, 05:07 PM

i'll check on the trans pogo, i know most of them are saginaws, but there might be a muncie rock crusher i there.

rail, i'll look into it's about 3 1/2 hrs away from you give or take. i'll look into the gears. i think the internals are interchangeable if it's an 8.5. i'm sure if need be we could meet up halfway or something if she's got it.
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:55 PM

How about a hint about where this stuff is or where you are. Maybe just the zip code if we wanted some parts and were willing to pick them up. You can pm me if you don't want to post info. I might be interested in a lot purchase of the Muncie parts.
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:34 PM
morgan

Lol...what a guy
Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:17 PM
morgan

any up-date here?
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:11 PM

Sent you this PM, never heard back-

Hello,
First off I want to thank you for posting the information about Richie. I am sorry for the families loss. Thankyou also for sharing this information with the Olds community. I passed along this information to a good friend of mine Dane Lulling, he is a Chevy guy. He is retired, but has a little side business as a rebuilder. He specializes in carburetors, GM transmissions, 4 speeds, differentials, and re-curving distributors. He would be very interested in purchasing some of the parts that you showed in the video. Specifically anything 4 speed related. It would be great if you could pass on his contact information. Dane Lulling from Mild to Wild Performance Rebuilders. His phone number is 262-862-2501. His e-mail address is danelulling@yahoo.com
My phone number is 847-740-3283.
My email address is rompinolds@yahoo.com
Thanks again for your help, Dave Meyer
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:14 PM
Hookers under Hood

. I'm not a vendor or anything, he personally helped me out when I first bought my chevelle when in high school in 2001, and helped me get a plan and was a huge wealth of information, so I figured I would pass on the the sad news, and try to help out his daughter if I could as a pay it forward kind of thing. let me know if need and i can pass it on to her.
Nice the owner helped you out in 2001 and now you want to help out his daughter.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hookers under Hood

yea, that's one of the reasons i wanted to help them out
it's really sad, cause i never got to meet him, but i know through some of the communities he provided advice and direction, and as soon as i posted about his death and the situation a lot of people all over the country have said the same thing, and talked about how amazing he was, the quality of his work, and just an all around good guy. it makes me sad i didn't get to meet him in person. before i left with the rear, i asked if i could have one of his old business stickers for my toolbox, because even though i didn't deal with him personally, in the end he helped me tremendously, and i want to help keep his memory alive.
Oh wait beast you didn't meet him now?? Did I read this correctly ??
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:37 AM

There's a lot of parts there. An old collector and lifelong mechanic died here a few years ago and it took 3 heavily advertised auctions to sell off his collection and parts. His family did well but at the end guys were walking off with model A transmissions for 5 bucks.I think they even donated a couple trailer loads of parts to his antique car club.It's a big job to get that stuff on the market......but man what load of great stuff!!!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM
Administrator

I agree that's quite the collection. Too much to move just by word of mouth and 1 guy.