General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Resurrecting my '92 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:48 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Resurrecting my '92 Convertible

Well, about 10 years ago my '92 Supreme Convertible got vandalized (broken front and rear glass) and I mothballed it in a garage on the other side of town. This was the first 'new' car I ever bought so I couldn't bring myself to part with it at the time - now I'm glad I didn't. Hey, if the top goes down it's worth keeping IMO.

Decided to spend a a few weekends trying to get it roadworthy to enjoy the couple of 'top-down-weather' months allotted to us Rhode Islanders.

I've got a new rear glass and I'm going to try to install it myself - have the upholstery stapler so I think I'll be ok.

Going to remove and refinish the notoriously-faded/peeled windshield garnish mouldings and have the windshield replaced.

Then some leather cleaner, chasing a few electrical gremlins, and a few hours with a rotary buffer and maybe it will see the beach within a few weeks.

Of course, the first step was getting it back to the house - but with a charged battery and some additional air in one tire, it cranked over and made it to the back of the ramp truck under her own steam!

Wish me luck!
Attached Images
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:37 AM

I had a 94 convertible... same color. Wish I had it back now. Fun car to have....Good luck.

convert_zpsdd32985e.jpg
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by NHolds
I had a 94 convertible... same color. Wish I had it back now. Fun car to have....Good luck.

Thanks!

I remember when mine looked as good as your did in that picture.
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:33 PM

We bought Juju her '94, same color, with white top and white leather interior. She calls it Lovey Dovey. And she truly does love it. It has the 3.1 engine, on our shop owners advice. Really love the car. I had dual Smithy's put on it, and it sounds great, boogying down the highway! Get yours going!!!
Aron
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Replaced both rear power window motors. Rear interior and "roll bar" soft trim is back in the car. Windshield reveal moldings sandblasted and repainted. New windshield goes in tomorrow.

Almost there...
Old July 7th, 2014, 10:16 AM

My 93 is red with a black top and interior. I absolutely love that car. It sat alot this past winter and growled at me for a few minutes when I first started it a few weeks ago. These electronic cutlasses need to be run so the fuel injector parts get their chance to stay clean. I bought mine from an older couple who toured it down in Florida. I had to put a new top on it, and highly recommend biting the bullet and doing that versus cussing at a staple gun and glass.
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by rocketman77
My 93 is red with a black top and interior. I absolutely love that car. It sat alot this past winter and growled at me for a few minutes when I first started it a few weeks ago. These electronic cutlasses need to be run so the fuel injector parts get their chance to stay clean. I bought mine from an older couple who toured it down in Florida. I had to put a new top on it, and highly recommend biting the bullet and doing that versus cussing at a staple gun and glass.
I'm replacing the entire rear window curtain assembly - they're separate from the top regardless. My top is perfect - my rear glass got broken is all. I've already removed the beltline moldings and unstapled the sail panel portion of the top from the tack strip - it's pretty simple to do the whole assembly - no way would I try to replace just the glass - it's thermo-set into the curtain assembly and I wouldn't even know where to start.

I drove this car for years before I shelved it - I absolutely love it and so does the wife (a key component of the resurrection by the way) - with the four bucket seat interior and the 5 star wheels it's pretty sharp - even for an early-90's GM product!
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:13 AM

Nice!! Im happy to hear youre getting it back on the road! I have a 92 convertible same color and its my favorite car!
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:23 AM

Something you may not have realized, OldsDad, is that your Cutlass convertible is one of around 25,000 built from 1990-1995! A rare one, indeed! ENJOY!
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Something you may not have realized, OldsDad, is that your Cutlass convertible is one of around 25,000 built from 1990-1995! A rare one, indeed! ENJOY!
~3900 in '92 if I'm not mistaken! Mine is not perfect and the parts it needs to be perfect are made of Unobtanium, so it never will be... but - as you said - it's fun and I plan to enjoy it! Thank you.
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Almost there!
Attached Images
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

UPS just delivered my glass rear convertible window...looks like I'll be in the garage tonight!
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

I can't believe these cars are over 20 years old now. My Mom bought a 4 door in 90 and that was a nice car to drive. When the convertibles came out though they were priced well above me. However, I did talk Leo Burnett into sending me a cassette of the "Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" song that was the current ad. Hm, I bet I could afford a convertible now and drive around playing that cassette.
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by slantflat
I can't believe these cars are over 20 years old now. My Mom bought a 4 door in 90 and that was a nice car to drive. When the convertibles came out though they were priced well above me. However, I did talk Leo Burnett into sending me a cassette of the "Not Your Father's Oldsmobile" song that was the current ad. Hm, I bet I could afford a convertible now and drive around playing that cassette.
I remember that stupid ad campaign - and mine actually has the rare CD player (presently not working) - but that was pretty Hi-Fi in 1992!

I really wanted a 95 when I knew it was the end of the run for them, but I was still in school and couldn't do it...I bought this one in 97
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:23 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Got the rear glass put in and the trim reassembled.

A quick wash and some pictures for the insurance man.

Hopefully by early next week I'll be on the highway
Attached Images
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:12 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Well, Matilda loves it!

(Photo courtesy of my 8 year old back seat passenger)
Attached Images