General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Request Advice and/or Rec's to Ship Car Cross Country

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2018, 03:49 PM

Request Advice and/or Rec's to Ship Car Cross Country

Want to ship an 08' BMW from Santa Clara CA to Central NJ, car is a nice daily driver; but, not a show car.

Any advice such as what questions to ask or shipper recommendations is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:45 PM

I have shipped cars a couple of times, and learned the hard way that cheaper is not better. If you want a specific pick up day, you need to tell them that when you are shopping around. Most of the lower price haulers will try to use your car as a fill in and can't / won't give you a firm pickup date. You also have to decide if you want an enclosed hauler or open. Enclosed is way more expensive. I have not had any problems shipping my cars with an open hauler. (other than the car getting a little dirty).
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Go to Uship.com and put an ad in for a shipper, anyone interested will contact you. As said above, look out for the guy that wants to haul your car on a single axle converted boat trailer...... with no insurance.
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:33 PM

I used this company to have my then non-running '78 Toronado shipped from Georgia to my home in New Mexico. I went with open trailer shipping. The cost was $850 with an extra $100 added on because the car was inoperable.

http://www.dependableautotransport.com/

They're based in western New York, but they work nationwide. They had an ad in Old Cars Weekly, and I called them based on that. The whole thing went off without a hitch, and it took less than a week. I signed the contract on Friday, they picked up the car the following Sunday and delivered it the next Thursday. Six days start to finish.
Old July 14th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I have shipped cars a couple of times, and learned the hard way that cheaper is not better. If you want a specific pick up day, you need to tell them that when you are shopping around. Most of the lower price haulers will try to use your car as a fill in and can't / won't give you a firm pickup date. You also have to decide if you want an enclosed hauler or open. Enclosed is way more expensive. I have not had any problems shipping my cars with an open hauler. (other than the car getting a little dirty).

This is absolutely true. Even with a firm date in mind some shippers won’t want to agree unless they know they can fill the truck. My 69 was shipped from Georgia to Texas and the shippers wanted to push out the pick up date almost a month from the time we tried to arrange pickup. We ended up using someone from North or South Carolina that only hauled one car at a time in an enclosed trailer. Worked out well and he picked up and delivered on time. It ended up being more expensive this way.

When end I was trying to find out more about shipping I came across a video on YouTube about shipping and things to look out for. It was good info
Old July 16th, 2018, 06:30 AM

UShip.com. If you use someone on that site make sure they have the proper insurance and get proof from shipper. I used UShip several times with no issues. I too preferred single car enclosed trailer over the large 7 car open car carrier! Seems that I got more personal service dealing with a small operation. Also, Google the vender's name and check their reviews.
Old July 16th, 2018, 07:14 AM

Thank you everyone. Didn't ship yet so any add'l input is appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2018, 04:57 PM

Transporter

Following , also interested in finding private individual with Inclosed trailer for moving a couple of cars for me . Tried the others listed , rather deal with individual doing the actual transporting.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:31 AM

Passport Transport, you get what you pay for.

https://www.passporttransport.com/
Old August 7th, 2018, 10:08 AM

Car arrived without any problems. Used McCullough Transportation as the broker, www.mctrans.net $1,300 CA to NJ in approx six days dropped at the door.They would have shipped it themselves versus brokering for $2,300. If doing it over again I'd use McCullough and their brokering. If the car was a collectible or a high dollar then I might consider their own service versus brokering. Overall I'm satisfied.

Thanks to everyone for their input, it is appreciated!

Good luck!!!