General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Removing speedometer from housing 72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Chris

Removing speedometer from housing 72 cutlass

hi! I would like to install my 3 mini guages inside the housing of my non working clock in my 72 cutlass. They appear that they will all fit if I make a three hole mounting plate out of wood or metal or maybe try to print out something on the 3D printer in my school for the three guages to sit in inside the housing. However can anyone help with how to remove the clock from the housing? The nuts are screwed on studs that are held on by sprocket washers (sorry I don't know their real name. They're the thin washers that look like a gear). They are spinning when I try to remove the nuts and I'm not sure how to get them off. Any ideas?
thanks!
chris
Old November 9th, 2018, 06:11 PM

You can get 2 of them off by using a pair of needle nose pliers & sticking said pliers inside the clock housing through the holes that hold the light bulb sockets. Firmly grip the stud inside the housing & then use a 3/8" socket to loosen the nuts. That USUALLY works. If not you'll have to get midevil with it & just pry the face from the housing. The studs are just pressed/staked to the plate under the clock face & will pull out without to much trouble. Call with questions.
Scott
317-727-7041
Old November 9th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Chris

Thanks Scott! I'll give that a try. You sound like you have much experience with these speedos!
Chris
Old November 9th, 2018, 07:02 PM

I restore all the instruments in the dash and make them look and work like new and I have done a couple hundred of them at least? I also restore the interior rear view mirrors and make them look like new. Glad to help and good luck with your car. I also sell Oldsmobile parts & have thousands of parts in stock if you need anything.
Old November 9th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Chris

Scott, I've bought some great parts from you but I didn't know you restored clocks and speedos and mirrors. May I ask what you charge for your rebuilding/ refinishing services? Thanks!
chris
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:06 PM

Hey Chris thanks for your past business. I charge $85 per instrument. For that I clean and paint the inside and outside of the case, install a new lens, I can reset your miles back to his all zeroes or any other reading you desire, I make any needed repairs to the circuit board and make sure all your pins, bulbs, and sockets are in good condition. If you have a clock I can add the quartz conversion kit so it basically keeps perfect time after that. I can test the function of all the gages and the tachometer also. From my experience the vast majority of tachometers are not very accurate, some of them off any where from 100 to a 1000 somewhere within RPM range.
As far as the mirrors go I remove the glass from the housing and send it off to be professionally re silvered then re install it back in the housing and polish the stainless up real nicely and if it has the light I make sure that works also. I charge $85 for that also Assuming no additional parts are needed for the light.

Old November 9th, 2018, 08:20 PM

Not to hijack the thread but here are a couple Before & After pix.
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:22 PM