General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

remove the entire dash?

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:58 AM

remove the entire dash?

Please tell me I am just doing it the hard way and that I do not need to remove the entire dash to replace the wood grain.

I am in the process of replacing the wood grain inserts the dash of my '71 cutlass 'vert. I have already replaced it on the instrument console and the glove box. Now on to the dash.
From reading prior posts on the site, it became apparent that I was going to have to remove the surrounds around the windshield wiper and convertible top (up and down) switches to fit the replacement insert correctly. I removed the lower portion of the dash along with the blower ducts so that I could reach the nuts holding the surrounds on. Going by feel (because I'm not a contortionist), there appears to be some sort of shielding preventing me from reaching them.

Is that normal, or am I just going about this all wrong?
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:10 PM
Lansing built

IIRC the wiper switch is a bitch to get to and assume your vert switch has the same setup. The wiper was 2 or 3 small screws and you have to remove the handle which again if memory serves a small allen screw.

Pat
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:18 PM

I've replaced the wiper switch on one of my cars. It took about a little over an hour and a whole lot of patience.
You'll most likely need to remove the instruments in order to reach the little nuts holding it on. Thats what I had to do. I actually removed all three instruments to allow different approaches.
I couldn't reach the wiper switch from under the dash.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 04:27 AM

So, you're saying that the easiest way is to remove the instruments from the console to get to them from above, rather than removing the lower portion of the dash and going from below?

That actually makes some odd sort of sense. I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:50 AM

Yeah! It seems to me the metal dash makes for an impassible hurtle.
For some work on the right side of the dash or the heater box I'll remove the glovebox. For the left side I remove the three instruments gauges.
Old September 5th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Nope. Tried going through the instrument panel. But it's too hard to work on just feel alone. I guess that I'll have to break out the manual and see if I can find the easiest way to pull the dash.

Anyone out there have any ideas?
Old September 5th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It takes time and patience. The wiring harness is also attached to the dash so it can be a real PITA to work around in places. There's an excellent diagram in the Cutlass Assembly manual that shows the dash pad stud locations. I found it was easier to start on the right side and take out the glove box. From there work in. You will also need to remove the tubing to the AC vents to get best access.
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:19 AM

Thanks.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:09 PM

I know what you're going through. I was fortunate enough to have a parts car to take apart to see how things go together. The dash I removed from a parts car helped me to see what I needed to do to get the switch out without removing the entire dash.

Good luck. But I am sure you'll be able to get it fixed. If I can fix it you can too.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:41 PM

That's what happens with a well built car!!
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:17 PM

Chip, I don't have a vert but I did remove my wiper switch and headlight switch this summer and yeah, it was a royal PIA. But I think easier than removing the entire dash. I did both of mine from underneath. IIRC I used a long 1/4 extension and worked by feel. I do remember the wife having to help with the light switch reinstall. Not a job I ever want to do again. You have my sympathies, buddy.
EDIT: I just remembered that I had my seats out of the car. That made it possible to work underneath.