General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Remember your first Olds?

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Remember your first Olds?

Hi,
Do you recall your first Oldsmobile? Your most memorable memory of it? Price you paid for it? Why you sold it, if you don't still have it?

I hope this brings back some good memories.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:19 AM
"me somebody" site member

My first Olds was a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible, bench seat, column shifted auto. Was red with black top and interior, had Keystone Classics, which I promptly swapped out for some black SSIIIs which I thought (still think) looked good on it. I also put a 442 steering wheel and rear bumper/exhaust cutouts on the car. It had an "S" hood with the lower center section with raised bumps on either side, which was shared with the non-OAI 442s of that year if I'm not mistaken. Was a sharp car in my mind (though I can recall bringing it to a Mondello / E-town event circa 1992 in which it was seemingly completely invisible). I paid $1500 for it, bought it in 1991 from one of my college fraternity brothers who was a couple years younger than me (he was selling the car because he had decided to become an environmentalist). I sold it for $4500 at the fall E-town (NJ) swap circa 1993, basically because I needed the money. I don't really miss it, as my tastes later migrated to the earlier cars (and 4 speeders).

Oh yeah, my most memorable memory: shortly after buying the car, I drove it to work one day with ficticious plates as I hadn't gotten round to registering it. As I was heading towards the Garden State Parkway onramp to go home, some idiot rounded a corner and rear-ended me. Needless to say, I wanted to let the matter drop, since there was no damage to the car other than the rear bumper (which was rough and in need of replacement anyway). The guy who hit me picked up on my discomfort, and started rubbing his neck and saying "you know, my neck kinda hurts". So I hopped in the car and made like a bat outta hell towards the parkway entrance (which had a toll). I drove though the toll plaza at at least 60 mph with the top down no less (without paying, this was pre- EZ pass) and was ultimately able to elude the guy who hit me (and thankfully nothing ever came of it, though I worried for some time afterwards that the toll attendent might have recognized me).

One last detail: I was commuting with a co-worker at the time, and he was along for this ride. We stopped commuting together after that.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; February 4th, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Interesting story! Thanks for sharing.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Still have it...'71 Supreme Convertible - 455 4spd Bench seat...now a frame off restored car, but have been driving since high shool in 1987...then it was a repaint red with quarters flying in the wind...but now she's back to where she's supposed to be with the original bittersweet paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0067.JPG (84.5 KB, 31 views)
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

My first Olds.

My first Olds was a '79 Delta 88 Royale diesel. I got great fuel mileage between engine rebuilds.......
But I loved everything else about the car and it got me into the American car scene over here, now I'm on my 10th American car & 4th Oldsmobile, as well built as any big car available over here, comparable gas mileage and parts are cheaper in spite of the fact they were never marketed over here.
'79 Delta 88 diesel - sold it after third engine rebuild.
'78 Regency with '70 Toronado 455, I still have the 455.
'83 Cutlass wagon, 307/350c, sold to friend who is turning it into a delivery van.
'87 Delta 88 Royale - one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Last edited by rustyroger; February 4th, 2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: computer shut down
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

A 72 Cutlass Supreme! Bought it off of my brother in law for $200.00. I had previously borrowed it off of him to take my drivers test in - parallel parked that baby first try! I was proud! Thus began my love for the 72 Cutlass. By the time I got it, she had a pretty bad cracked grille, rust holes in front of the rear tires on both sides, plus various other rust... interior was the green cloth brocade like Teepo has. It was a hardtop painted some kind of dark pine green or something ( I don't know the colors) and had the white pin stripes down the sides.

I kept her washed and waxed around the rust and was soooo proud, lol!! Ran her till the frame broke in the rear and had to park her. Engine still running strong! Wish I'd have taken more pics back in the day, lol. I don't know if I have any pics of it anywhere. I'll have to check. This does bring back great memories, lol!
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM

These stories are great! No, I'm not writing a book lol! I just love to read about people's experiences and their different cars. I will post mine soon, till then, keep em coming.

Thank you so much!
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Of course I remember it, I still have it It was literally my father's Oldsmobile that he bought 3 years old and he LOVED it. That love was apparently in our bblood because it became my brother's first car, then my first car and the love I already had for the car just kept growing. I kept doing little repairs (I was only in high school) and it wasn't until I saw my now friend's car at a show that I realized just how bad mine had gotten. His car was a full frame off restoration and has been a model that mine has been following ever since. Once I started the real restoration project, I realized how much I missed driving it so I bought the burgundy 98 to have one drive while I worked on it

Oh, and I bought it from my dad for $1 ! It was in pretty rough shape at the time. He still has that dollar hanging on the wall. The car is really a part of the family. Just about ever friend and relative I've ever had has ridden in that car.

Last edited by 76 Regency; February 4th, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Mine was a 1968 Vista Cruiser that my parents bought brand new. I got it in 1974. Hard to believe that my newest car now is older than that. I did the 4bbl and headers on the original 350, then swapped in a 425. That's when I learned about the different crank flange bolt patterns.

This car was quite a sleeper. I remember one particular street race where I dusted a 1969 Mach 1.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM

My first Olds was a 1965, 442. At the time I was working for a local Auto wreckers, so I got this bright idea one Saturday to pull the original engine out and put a 425 in it. After many hours of work it was running and I decided to take it for a test run. Well putting her through the paces I blew past a radar trap I was doing 90 mph in a 30 mph zone. Needless to say that was a very expensive day. Really do miss that car.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:52 AM

1950 88 2 door sedan. Baby blue, stock as could be. Had duals installed w/Smithy mufflers, had the hood ornament/rocket on the front and Olds/Rocket on the back removed and the holes leaded, then painted. Added an additional antenna on the other side. Reasonably fast little 88, didn't lose too many. Put wire hubcaps on it. Bought for $500 (1955) and sold for $650 (1956). Sure wish I had her back. Great memories.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator

My 1st olds and 1st car was a 1967 Curlass S back in 1976, it was aunts car. She ran into anything that did not get out of her way!!! It was hit more times than Joe Lewis. After extensive body work, it turned out to be a very nice car, until it met with an early demise on an icey day in 77.

I bought this one as my sons first car, been working on and driving it for 2 years, although my son decided he did not really want it I decided to play with it some more!!!

By the way I only paid $500 for it back in 76, and this one I bought in the beginning of 09 paid $5000!!!

Last edited by oldcutlass; February 5th, 2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added pricing
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:24 AM

my first olds was a 53 super88 hardtop, bought it to redo, as it was a runnin driving car but life got in the way......marrige does that i guess. sold it bout 4 years ago to my step father so its still around which is cool.......john
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
She ran into anything that did not get out of her way!!! It was hit more times than Joe Lewis.
Reminds me of a joke I heard about a very badly denty up car that was driven by someone who "parked using the Braille method".
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
My first Olds was a '79 Delta 88 Royale diesel. I got great fuel mileage between engine rebuilds.......
But I loved everything else about the car and it got me into the American car scene over here, now I'm on my 10th American car & 4th Oldsmobile, as well built as any big car available over here, comparable gas mileage and parts are cheaper in spite of the fact they were never marketed over here.
'79 Delta 88 diesel - sold it after third engine rebuild.
'78 Regency with '70 Toronado 455, I still have the 455.
'83 Cutlass wagon, 307/350c, sold to friend who is turning it into a delivery van.
'87 Delta 88 Royale - one of the best cars I've ever owned.
Sounds like a great array of Olds Machines you have Roger! Great to hear from you! Thanks for sharing with everyone else!
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM

My first olds was a 68 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe from my great Aunt with alzeimers in 1979. (end-over-ended through a telephone pole & down an embankment high school graduation week in 1981). The car had 26,000 miles on it & way too much power (350 4 bbl) for me at my age.
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
My first olds was a 68 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe from my great Aunt with alzeimers in 1979. (end-over-ended through a telephone pole & down an embankment high school graduation week in 1981). The car had 26,000 miles on it & way too much power (350 4 bbl) for me at my age.
Beautiful car! Do you have any more pics of it at all to show? I thought Holiday Coupe had a "B" post.
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Moses
Beautiful car! Do you have any more pics of it at all to show? I thought Holiday Coupe had a "B" post.
Hardtop....Coupe....I can never keep them straight.

It wasn't a post.....

That's the only pic I've ever been able to find. It still had the plastic on the seats when I got it. It had 19,000 miles when I brought it home in 1979. (it did have rusted fender heels already though)
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM

1976 Omega hatchback with the Olds 260. Got the car from my cousin for $100 after he went out and got a brand new camaro IROC. Had a lot of fun in that car, use to beat the ever loving crap out of that thing and it just kept on going. Fondest memory of that car is when the top of the engine caught fire when trying to start it one day (Leaky carb + spark plug wire grounding out = fire). Hurried up and grab my moms watering can, opened the hood and doused the heck out of it. After 3 cans of water it was finally out, and started right up after putting some tape on the wire. Gotta love a car that can do that..
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Hardtop....Coupe....I can never keep them straight.

It wasn't a post.....

That's the only pic I've ever been able to find. It still had the plastic on the seats when I got it. It had 19,000 miles when I brought it home in 1979. (it did have rusted fender heels already though)
That's okay Man, car looks great! Thanks for sharing!
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Thats what those dimples glued to the road here in Texas are for. The Braile method, ADA forced them to do it!!!!!!!
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM

I'm noticing we have quite a few Chicago area members here.

My very first car I owned,
and taught myself how to drive in was a 1972 Cutlass S.

I bought it in 1993 when I was 19 years old stationed at US Naval Training
Center @ Pensacola Florida off a Master at Arms for $1100 in 1993.
I got my license shortly after that.

It was red, with a black vinyl top, ralleye wheels, and the spoiler on back.
It was missing the tach or clock, and had black interior.....I think it was a bench.
It blew a head gasket on my way back home to Chicago in Georgia.
I never went back for it. Couldn't afford an engine overhaul back then.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 4th, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Oh Yeah, my very first Olds was indeed my Father's Olds! (A 1981 Ninety-Eight Regency Sedan; "The Black Beauty" it has a cranberry velour interior -- a striking car that I still have THANKFULLY; it's one I'll keep forever; it was even my Senior Prom car back in the day!!) It has just 73K Original Miles and is still showroom new! Mom and Dad treasured that car and treated it accordingly. It lives a good/pampered "retired life" relegated to occassional cruise nights and car club tours/activities and Olds Club of America meets! (I know, I've GOT to get some pics posted too! )
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Here is the story on the first Olds I owned, and still have!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post243722
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Randy C.

My first Olds was also my very first car - a 1969 4-4-2 hardtop. I bought it in New London, CT, in April 1972 at 44,610 miles for $1800 (it was priced on the lot at $2195 so I thought I swung a pretty good deal). It had been altered - the original engine and tranmission were gone and in their place was a 1970 455 block with a THM 400 and a '70 console. It must have had some pretty tall gears out back because you could bark the tires at every gear shift with the THM if you did it manually. I took the car with me when I got transferred to SoCal, then to Washington DC, then to Eureka CA and then to Alameda CA. When we were getting transferred from Alameda to Norfolk VA in the summer of 1981, I sold it at 165K miles for $1000. It didn't get very good gas mileage (12-14mpg). From 0-80 it was a screamer but, after that, there was nothing. I've always wondered if it was an original 3.91 rear end with a manual transmission and the first owner(s) just burnt it up to the point that it needed another engine and transmission. Anyway, I did truly enjoy that car!

Randy C.
Attached Images
Olds69firstcar.jpg (26.7 KB, 18 views)
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM

My first Olds is the first car I ever bought and the car I enjoy today.

April1976.jpg
1979 (when I bought it)
car1979-3.jpg

and today
DSC_4914.jpg
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM

My first is the 71 in my sig. Second owner. Bone stock 350, peg leg, bench seat,column shift and vinyl top originally. Exactly like the one they used in the 71 Cutlass S ad.

I believe i paid $200 for it in 1981 or 82, need to check.

Dont exactly know how many i have owned. Probably 8-10 others.
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM

72 Supreme, Still own it. Spring of my senior year (95) saw it for sale and had to have it. Told my parents about it and they told me by no means was I to buy that car. so I bought it the next day and kept it at My Girlfriends house for a few days. I figured once it was registered and insured in my name there was nothing they could do about it. how does that saying go? Its easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission?
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shizzy
72 Supreme, Still own it. Spring of my senior year (95) saw it for sale and had to have it. Told my parents about it and they told me by no means was I to buy that car. so I bought it the next day and kept it at My Girlfriends house for a few days. I figured once it was registered and insured in my name there was nothing they could do about it. how does that saying go? Its easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission?
Yep. Don't pray for a bike, steal one and then ask for forgivness.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM

A '66 Cutlass in 1975, 330 2bbl, 2spd, couldn't get out of it's own way, but it was mine. Paid $195.00 for it, sold it a couple of months later for $225.00 when it started to get a knock under the hood. I then bought a '68 Delta Custom.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM

Mine was a 1975 Cutlass S with the first year 260. That was with the "faux" Quadrajet-Dualjet carb. When I first pulled the air clear assembly off I thought it was a quadrajet until I red in large letters where the rear air doors would have been "DualJet".
I paid $150 for it in 1987 from my friends mother. It was his car and she wanted it gone. He was "in the hospital" for "treatment" (if ya know what I mean) so I got it. It was rusty all over. You couldn't put anything in the trunk because it would be gone. I lost 2 K40 antennas that way.
It was white wit a red interior. Swivel buckets and a floor shifter. It maxed out at 90 mph in 20° weather and 75 mph in 80° weather. It was BRUTIALLY slow.
I had it until I got my 76 and then sold it to another friend of mine. It was a fun car, but I liked the 76 more.

I have owned 7 Oldsmobiles and one twice in this order.

75 Cutlass S
76 Cutlass Salon
75 Cutlass 4 dr (drove for a week and parted)
80 Cutlass Supreme
70 Cutlass S
70 442
1972 Cutlass Supreme
70 422 (again)
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:52 AM

Mine, a silver 1968 Toronado. I still have it.
Got it in late 1986/early 1987. I might sell it to buy a 1963 Satfire in the future.
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Crazy Canuck

First car was a `72 Cutlass 4dr. Paid $1800 back in `84 when I was 15 and bought it off of my dad's insurance lady. It was her father's and he had passed away. It had never seen snow. I worked an entire summer for my dad for free just to pay for it. She was grey/greenish with vinyl top, blue interior and 350 4bbl. Put spoked keystones and she was a beauty. Had many a good night surprising camaros and mustangs with my "grandpa's car".

Unfortunately 6 years later I sold it for $5500 to buy a used chevy truck. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Wayne
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission?

I know of a Pastor that has said many times... "I find that it's easier to ask for forgiveness after you do it even though you know it's wrong than to ask for it in the first place and take that chance of not getting it."
I myself when I was younger use to just do it cause I wanted to even though I knew my parents would say no. Trial and error as they say.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM

1965 Jetstar I was my first Oldsmobile that I bought for $500 in late 1997. Drove by a scrap yard near where I lived. Everything was stock, except the air cleaner. AM/FM radio, vacuum trunk release, 3.42 posi. Car was built in Texas (X in the vin). Only surface rust.

Parked it in a barn and worked on it for the next 3 years. Got engaged and she did not like the car and all that.

Sold the car, one month later engagement was off.

Never found the car again.
Attached Images
65 JI 1.jpg (43.2 KB, 7 views)
65 JI 2.jpg (55.2 KB, 6 views)
65 JI 3.jpg (48.4 KB, 6 views)
65 JI 4.jpg (45.0 KB, 6 views)
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM

My first olds was a 79 olds hoilday 88 , my father gave it to me in 91, it had a 301 , buckets ,console , ss11, vary clean car , i sold it cause , i need a truck
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM

First car was a 66 Delta conv. It cost me 35 dollars in 1974, that car went thru the mill, passed it down to my brother then I took it back. Parked it in 1985 and it sat in a garage till 4 years ago when I lost storage. Frame and body had some serious rot so I parted it out about 3 years ago.
Attached Images
jr.jpg (201.5 KB, 13 views)
white.jpg (105.6 KB, 14 views)
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:51 AM

My first Olds was '76 Cutlass Supreme 4dr sedan (post in middle), fully loaded and beautiful shape! I would like another one! Bought in '84 for $1700. Gleaming creme color exterior, light brown cloth interior. Put on new shocks and tires. Started to see rust on lower drivers door and on "swoop" area of same door, sanded down and learned that previous owner apparently "bondode"(!) in that one "swoop" area on driver's door. I was "alarmed" to say the least! I shaped it via electric sanders as best as possible without creating a "conversation piece" for other drivers in traffic. Kept Cutlass for couple years and gave to my dad, he loved it just the same. My second Olds was '72 Cutlass Hardtop, bought in '93 for $1,200. Was that lighter pea green color, faded too. Interior was dark green vinyl w/bench seat and was rip-free throughout. Had rust on lower 1/4's and fenders, rest of body was solid including bumpers. Had to replace the entirety of 4 drum manual brakes @ $600, 2 rear coil springs and shocks at all 4 corners, $300. I remember the car being comfortable, back seat passengers always slid to left and right at every turn from lack of rear sway bar. Car guzzled lots of fuel, did lots of patches, sold for $1900. Third Cutlass is the '68 Cutlass Supreme you see on this page. I have it for many reasons including many fond memories of my dad.
I thank all of you for submitting your photos and sharing your memories of your first Olds. I am glad you enjoyed it! I as the rest of us on here look forward to seeing more!
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Ok, my first Oldsmobile was the 1974 Delta 88 Royale I bought from the gas station I worked at. I paid $400 for it in 1987. Kept it till I met my future wife in 1993.She didn't like the color(pea green outside) so I sold it to a friend of mine for $1200 total on payments.lol.She drove it for a few more years and then I lost contact with her and the car. Always told my wife I wanted a 98 version and i would accept a 75 but would prefer a 74. Low and behold, many years later I came upon my current 75 98. And in the meantime I have also acquired a 79 Delta 88 Royale diesel(daily driver), and 2 yes 2 1981 98 Regency sedan's both diesel also. All the diesels run great for anyone's info. The 79 had 55000 origianl miles on it when I bought it 2 years ago. It now has 67000 on it. The 81 98's both have turned the clock once. I will post with them soon.
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:51 AM

65 442 I bought for $750 in 1978, beat the crap out of it, 3 engines ,4 transmissions, 1 rear end, lots of tires.
Attached Images
65 442 001.jpg (88.3 KB, 19 views)

Quick Reply: Remember your first Olds?