General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2022, 04:35 PM

Rebuildable?

Just changed out the evaporator sight glass on the AC in my 68. Are these things able to be rejuvenated and put back on the shelf or just get pitched? It was restricting the flow so I’m assuming it’s clogged with contaminates.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 06:15 PM
Oldsdruid

Since their major function is removing moisture and contaminants I'll say they're designed to be disposable. I suppose you could empty the spent desiccant out thru the sight glass hole and refill it, but time you've done all that about as easy to install a new one if you can find it.

At powerplant we had regenerative desiccant gas dryers that utilized two tower streams. When one tower is onstream drying whatever gas, the other one is offstream, using heating elements to dry the moisture out of the desiccant pellets. After a scheduled amount of time the thing will switch out the towers. They worked well for most part to desiccate and decontaminate hydrogen gas and instrument-spec dry air. However, we know the General would never have spent that kind of money.

The instrument air dryers operated at 300 psi. They'd scare the crap out of you when those towers switched and depressurized. LOUD! Each had its own little building which the insulation and siding crew had built too damn small to easily access and check the equipment. I had wiggled around to the back side of the thing about 2am one night to check outlet pressure and it switched while I was back there. I about climbed the thing😬.

I made the siding crew cut me a door on back wall of the building so I could open it and check that pressure. Very conveniently, it switched towers while they were doing that and they ran away screaming. Heh, heh, heh.
Old August 24th, 2022, 01:36 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yes the dryers are rebuildable if originainality is a concern. Otherwise replace it.
Old August 24th, 2022, 05:30 PM

Any info on where I send it to? If its cheaper than an nos one, I may go that route.
Old August 24th, 2022, 05:38 PM

Well looking online it looks like a replacement is roughly $30. Id guess thats way lower than rebuilding one.
Old August 24th, 2022, 06:36 PM

I have sent a few to Original Air Group and they did a good job.
https://www.originalair.com/
Old August 25th, 2022, 08:44 AM
Past Administrator

Nice story rocketraider, I needed a chuckle just now.