General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rear Coil Spring question/discussion

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2013, 08:11 AM

Rear Coil Spring question/discussion

Hey all, I currently have air shocks on my 1972 Cutlass...and I believe that they are leaking a little bit. I aired them up a little the other day, just to basically level out the car and give it a slight lift in the rear end. I drove it yeasterday, and it appears that the rear end has dropped back down to where it was. I am thinking about shelling the air shocks, and replacing with air bags in the springs. What are your guys' thoughts? Do the airbags provide a little better, more stable ride? If you were to go with air bags, what brand is good, yet cost effective? I am looking at airlift 1000 bags, but I'm reading mixed reviews. You all have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I personally have never tried the airbags. For the past 40 years I've always adjusted height with springs. I've also never had good luck with air shocks. They tend to leak, and the ride at different temps change dramatically. There was a recent post with part numbers that had a very good stock stance.

Post#13 is the list.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ore-after.html
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:25 AM

I use air shocks in 2 old cars. The ones in my Cutlass are 5 years old with no problems or leaks. I have a pair in my 70 Bonneville that are close to 20 years old, again with no problems. Is the shock leaking or a fitting or a line? Might be a simple inexpensive fix.

I use mine to compensate for a fully loaded trunk on trips. A level car tracks and handles much better than one sagging in the back. I think if you want to adjust ride height of an empty trunk, you should do it with the springs, not the shocks.
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Ditch the air shocks. I have Airlift bags in my car but mainly to preload the right rear for racing. They will raise the car though if I want them to.
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Thanks all....so, do you like the Airlift bags? One of the key complaints that I have heard about them is that they don't fit tight when not aired up, and are noisy. This car squeaks, burps, and farts enough as it is without having to add another noise into the mix.

Last edited by kevin.horton; July 13th, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM

And let me add....the complaints are mainly coming from users that are driving these newer SUV's and the like, pulling their Jet Ski's, boats, and campers around. Haven't seen any reviews from users with older vehicles like these.
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:46 AM

I haven't noticed any squeeks but I always leave at least 5lbs. in them to keep them tight in the spring. I am happy with them.
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Cool, thanks man. I would always keep air in them as well. I think the proper kit for mine is # 60844. 97.00, not a bad price.