General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rear Coil Selection

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Rear Coil Selection

Which would you guys chose of these springs? I was leaning toward p/n 5549. Does anyone know what the stock "installed height" is supposed to be for the rear coils?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7512

Moog's site has specs for all 3 of the springs listed. 5549 and 5455 both have an installed spring height of 10 inches. The heavy duty ones (5549) have a slightly shorter free height, but larger bar diameter.

The variable rate springs (CC613) have a higher installed height of 11.5 inches. Not sure if that will put the rear up too high though. I probably should measure my current springs installed height to get an idea of what I can expect.

Moog's specs...
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...prod=MOOG-5549
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...prod=MOOG-5455
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...rod=MOOG-CC613

Thanks.

Last edited by AZ455; September 4th, 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added links to Moog's specs
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM

I'd probably go with the variable rate Cargo Coil rears. These are probably cheaper, as surely the most popular. You can have the car packed with six people, stuffed trunk and ride height doesn't change much. While years ago, actually got some custom HD springs from a place I found in Hot Rod magazine. Bilstein shocks, bigger sway bars and 255 rubber on 8.5" wide rim's. Thing really corners.
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
I'd probably go with the variable rate Cargo Coil rears. These are probably cheaper, as surely the most popular. You can have the car packed with six people, stuffed trunk and ride height doesn't change much. While years ago, actually got some custom HD springs from a place I found in Hot Rod magazine. Bilstein shocks, bigger sway bars and 255 rubber on 8.5" wide rim's. Thing really corners.
I'm leaning toward the variables or the HD. The standard replacements are the most expensive. HD is the cheapest and variable is close. But do you think the 1.5" extra lift they have over the HD springs is going to be too much? Sounds like a nice setup you've got, mine corners not so well..
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Free heigh is the lengthe of the spring right out of the box with no weight on it.
Installed height is the heigh of the spring installed with the weight of the car on it.
The HD ones have thicker wire (stiffer) so they will not compress as much under the same weight, thus a shorter free height they need.

I installed the HD ones in my Cutlass, but found they are a bit stiff and give a slight "jittery" feel, like riding in a new car. I found the STD ones from Moog had the spring rate of the factory FE2 springs, so I might replace them (it is easy, too).

If you are wanting to feel more road, than get the HD. If you want a smoother softer ride, get the Std.

Never experienced the VR, so I cannot comment on those.
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:42 AM

If springs are gonna put your rear end up 1.5" probably wouldn't do it. There's other options, such as inserting air bags into the springs you already have. Can even get small onboard compressor kits for these, with in car regulators. When going on a picnic with a full load, turn it up a bit. Also air shocks, but tend to be harsh and put lots of load on the shock brackets.