General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Re-chroming question

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Re-chroming question

Here's a photo of the hood ornament on my 54 Super 88. There's a small crack in the right wing area. Could this be fixed if it was rechromed or is it a lost cause?
20100119_16.jpg
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is probably a lost cause. The hood ornament is made out of pot metal and there is very little that can be done to repair it. Pitting is usually the enemy. It would still be worth taking to the plater and asking what they thought.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:19 AM

I disagree on above reply. It costs money, but they can repair anything. In the old days, they would grind the whole piece to get rid of pits but then you change the shape and lose detail. Now, after removing old plating, they typically copper plate it first so the solder has something to stick to (like soldering copper pipes at home). Then they solder in the pits or cracks and polish smooth and then re-copper plate, then nickel and chrome. It is a standard practice out there for pot metal. If you need a good chrome shop, check Hemmings or I used Frankford in Philly area with good results on my 70 Supreme lower moldings. One of my pieces had a large crack like yours and they repaired it and you can't even tell. I paid $700 for 4 pieces so it was not that bad as each piece had some intricate detail and a lot of pits to fix. The more the pits, the higher cost as each one has to be filled.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by oldsconv
I disagree on above reply. It costs money, but they can repair anything. In the old days, they would grind the whole piece to get rid of pits but then you change the shape and lose detail. Now, after removing old plating, they typically copper plate it first so the solder has something to stick to (like soldering copper pipes at home). Then they solder in the pits or cracks and polish smooth and then re-copper plate, then nickel and chrome. It is a standard practice out there for pot metal. If you need a good chrome shop, check Hemmings or I used Frankford in Philly area with good results on my 70 Supreme lower moldings. One of my pieces had a large crack like yours and they repaired it and you can't even tell. I paid $700 for 4 pieces so it was not that bad as each piece had some intricate detail and a lot of pits to fix. The more the pits, the higher cost as each one has to be filled.
X2 for sure. The abilities to fix and rechrome pot metal has improved tremendously over recent years.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I did take it to the plater and he told me he could fix it but it would cost about $300. He told me getting a different one, even with pretty good pitting would probably end up costing less. On a side note I did purchase another one a short time ago and realized that the 53, as much as it looks the same, is not! Live and learn I guess.