General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rallye Pac sender?

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Rallye Pac sender?

I just got back from the boneyard, slim pickins today. But there was an 84 Delta Royale that had the lower dash gauge cluster - a not too common option on the B Bodies in the 80-84 series (in my experience). I'm thinking that gage package would be like half the U21 package on the rallye gages that were in the A bodies, just a different style.

So here's the thing: I got the oil pressure sender, adapter and lead for a song - less than a dollar. Brought it home and cleaned it up a lot. Noticed on the bottom of the gage the number 60. Assuming that's the pressure level.

Is this the same type of gage that was used on the U21 rallye pac through the 70's? Is it reasonable to assume that the 350 should run about the same pressure as a 307?

BTW, if any of you B Body guys want replacement dashes for 79-84, plus the gage cluster, LMK. There was an 84 Royale, 79 Regency, 83 Regency Brougham with decent looking dashes today. Gotta get em while you can because most people seem to want to use a hammer to take everything out. Morons could learn a few skills. Hate to think of what their cars look like.

Here's what the sender looks like:
IMG_1083.jpg?t=1254799008

It's not 100% cleaned up, but it looks great. Have to test it to see if it works.

IMG_1093.jpg?t=1254799080

Does the 60 mean 60 psi rated? and is that the right pressure for a 1970-72 350 with rallye pac gages?
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Nice score - Get all those brass elbows as you can get - they are over 20 bucks apiece new!

Go to Rockauto's site and see if the same part # sender is used on both model cars you are comparing.
If so, given how easy those are to change out, I would install it and see how it works. I would think the high side of the gage would be over 60 - may thats the median?

I would prolly get the gages out of that boneyard car - I am sure you can get it cheap and someone will be along on this board in a month looking for one... It never hurts to hoard!
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

If you end up getting the gauges, you will need to get the wiring from the harness junctions, and sending units as well. They are not mechanical.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Nice score - Get all those brass elbows as you can get - they are over 20 bucks apiece new!

Go to Rockauto's site and see if the same part # sender is used on both model cars you are comparing.
If so, given how easy those are to change out, I would install it and see how it works. I would think the high side of the gage would be over 60 - may thats the median?

I would prolly get the gages out of that boneyard car - I am sure you can get it cheap and someone will be along on this board in a month looking for one... It never hurts to hoard!

Thanks for the tip Rob,

re: gages. I was thinking the same thing. If I go back and get them, I'll get the whole dash plate assembly. There are 3 parts to the dash with the gages. They looked like they were in really nice condition. Have to look and see how easy the wiring harness would be to trace back, or maybe just cut the wiring back a couple of feet from the connectors???

$20.00??? for a brass elbow. Yikes, you bet I'll see about starting a collection of stuff. Just don't let my wife know. If she finds out I'm collecting parts again, I might have to really splurge on a Xmas or BD present. On the bright side, she did come with me to the boneyard yesterday. It was a start, but she stayed in the car and read a book while I did car guy stuff.

I also found several of the (optional) dome lights and 10 ohm speakers that were in fabulous shape. So for 3.95 per light and 5.95 for the speakers, I came away with some nice parts at prices that evilbay can't touch.

IMG_1094.jpg?t=1254844036

no rust or broken cones. just a little on the dusty side.

IMG_1091.jpg?t=1254844680

for 3.95? There's no pitting, all the bulbs and lenses are there + wiring? Not cleaned at all and it still looks great.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM

I would be collecting for those cheap prices AND great condition! You can still resell them to someone who needs them at a great price for them and still make a little for your time - recycling at its finest. These parts are getting very hard to find.

There is a yard 30 minutes into the slums of Dallas that sells CHEAP like that! I got a whole set of chrome wheel centers for my 97 Caddy for 12 bucks! (A moron on evil bay sent me a tore up one for 35...)
Sunvisors with lighted mirrors - 6 a set.
Inside mirror - auto dim and compass - 5 bucks.
1988 high end Caddy radio - 15 and was in perfect shape...
Any speaker set - 6 bucks.

Yards like this is a cheap candy store for custom car builders! I wish I had more time and motivation...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; October 6th, 2009 at 09:15 AM.