General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ralley 350 questions

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Ralley 350 questions

I ran across a car thats interesting if its real...the old guy swears its real,and a numbers car...whatta ya think..i have a hard time believing..as a matter of fact, right now i dont believe it, but ive been wrong many times..and ive learned never say never...

i found a 4 speed ralley,and im sure its a ralley..... the guy says it 1 of ? w-31 ralley 4 speed cars,keeps saying one thing i doubt , keeps saying has the POP to prove it..which i understand doesnt show the engine code..im very skeptical...very..says he has other documentation and the car is well known...which i havent seen, my 70 POP doesnt show the engine code..or at least i dont remember it...

he says either 14 or 30 cars, i cant remeber...and heres the kicker..hes the 442 guy in my area, and has some, and has had some really cool stuff...did it happen? any documented cars out there...ive never heard of one...
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM

This has been hashed around again and again. i am not sure what the answer is but to have a W31 Rallye goes against the whole platform and idea around the car's manufacture and that was a musclecar look without much muscle. This may be like the Solid Main Web 403's. I would be anxious to know the right answer as well on the W31 Rallye 350.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:22 PM

cant speak for that year but a 65 pop shows the engine code
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Warning!!! Worm can being opened!
I've read many, many times about how there are NO W31 Rallye 350s. I've also heard the myth/tall tale/urban legend that there were a couple made. I've never heard of or seen anyone having any proof of one. The POP doesn't show engine code as far as I've seen? Hard to prove it's a real Rallye 350 with out some kind of paperwork anyway. Nothing noted in the vin & the paint code on the cowl tag should be --, but any cutlass that had a special paint code should have -- in the paint code. That by its self proves nothing. I call BS unless he has undeniable paperwork.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Warning!!! Worm can being opened!
I've read many, many times about how there are NO W31 Rallye 350s. I've also heard the myth/tall tale/urban legend that there were a couple made. I've never heard of or seen anyone having any proof of one. The POP doesn't show engine code as far as I've seen? Hard to prove it's a real Rallye 350 with out some kind of paperwork anyway. Nothing noted in the vin & the paint code on the cowl tag should be --, but any cutlass that had a special paint code should have -- in the paint code. That by its self proves nothing. I call BS unless he has undeniable paperwork.
I Agree
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM

X3
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:55 PM

i think hes full of it too...he had the car basically redone and ready for paint, he wants to pull the doors and front clip back off, and put lesser parts so he can use the good stuff on his 442...no one in their right mind is going to part down a "real" w-31 ralley car....

i personally didnt believe they ever made one, or by now one would have surfaced...thanks for the opinions..its on the Kansas City craigslist for 7500 or so...
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:18 PM

There used to be a Rallye 350 club here in NJ. I once asked a former president if they did make a w31 rallye and said yes they did but said nothing else. He also said he could verify without a doubt if a Rallye was an original W31 car by looking at something on the car and said little else. So i was not convinced still that a factory W31 was ever made and was available to or could be ordered by the general public.
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
There used to be a Rallye 350 club here in NJ. I once asked a former president if they did make a w31 rallye and said yes they did but said nothing else. He also said he could verify without a doubt if a Rallye was an original W31 car by looking at something on the car and said little else. So i was not convinced still that a factory W31 was ever made and was available to or could be ordered by the general public.
i know who you are talking about. he told the story many times but never would (or never could) show any proof. he told me many times he had one with original paperwork but for some reason never showed anyone. back then i just figured it was true then later as i learned more i started to believe the myth started with him. i don't mean to cut on the guy to bad because he sent me lots of information and was very helpful to me when i was in high school and just got my Rallye 350.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Even if the engine code is on the pop, it doesn't designate a w-31 engine, would it? All it would tell you is the size of the engine that originally came in the car. A W engine block has no specific marking, except the vin #, to match with the body. Only way to tell a W-31 from the outside, would be bigger balancer,(which is being repopped now), carb and dist. #s and pulling the heads, checking for flat top pistons. Correct me if I'm wrong, which I've been known to be.
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM

even if an engine had every part from a W-31 engine, it don't mean the block (part with the VIN) came originally as a W-31.
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:13 PM

check to see what numbers are stamped on the carb and distributor. Should have a thick balancer as others have stated. Doesn't mean the stuff wasn't put n later but if it is "really" the rallye 350 W31 he claims it to be at minimum it should have those items on it. I too have never ever seen a W31 Rallye 350 and I have seen many many over the years. Who knows one day one will be in a barn somewhere and it won't be me who finds it.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Mike, you stated that the w31 big balancers are being repoped now can you please tell me where that is, as I have not heard of this and would like to find them, thanks
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM
L69

I dont think they are repoping the w31 balancers
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:38 PM

I didnt think they were either but it would be nice!
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:23 AM
L69

Its a parts place myth along with the D heads.