General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Quarter Fillers for '75 & '76 Ninety Eight

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Quarter Fillers for 1975 & 1976 Ninety Eight (98)

Hey gang,

I'm actually in the infancy phase of working with a manufacturer that is entertaining the idea of manufacturing the rear quarter filler extensions for '75 & '76 Ninety Eights. I want to see how many of us there are out there that have the same desperate need for these parts. I have 2 '76 Coupes and would definitely buy a few sets for myself and I know of at least a few friends that would do the same. Hopefully I can find enough demand out there that will help convince them to move forward with the project.

These would be made of ABS and not fiberglass. According to my contact there, they actually test fit them on a car and re-work the molds if they are not correct. This is definitely NOT the case with the fiberglass ones as they fit terribly.

My fingers are crossed that this happens. We've been looking for a solid solution to these parts for years!

thanks gang!
John

Last edited by 76 Regency; January 13th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM

I see a ton of 73's on ebay and most all of them need the rear fillers I have owned my 73 for 23 years and in that time I only come across one nos left filler and while that was great I also really need a right side. If I had known of this 23 years ago I would've bought a 71-72 coupe since I really don't have a preference I just like ninety eight's I think that some GOOD reproductions would be a big plus to the aftermarket. Don.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Thumbs up

Hey John, I would order 2 sets! Hope this works out. Take Care, Tom
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by dbbigyellowcar
I see a ton of 73's on ebay and most all of them need the rear fillers I have owned my 73 for 23 years and in that time I only come across one nos left filler and while that was great I also really need a right side. If I had known of this 23 years ago I would've bought a 71-72 coupe since I really don't have a preference I just like ninety eight's I think that some GOOD reproductions would be a big plus to the aftermarket. Don.
Hi Don,

Thanks for your post. I agree that these parts are an issue for us but I think it's about time somebody corner the market and make accurate, quality reproductions which would definitely help the field of collectors. Let's keep this post going and spread the word to anybody else in our situation and with any luck, we'll have a solution sooner than later!

[Quote] Hey John, I would order 2 sets! Hope this works out. Take Care, Tom [Quote]

Hey Tom, love the picture! I'm very hopeful. I know you need these just as bad as I do.

John
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Put me down for a set. Im onboard for sure.
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM

I definitely would buy a pair. Did not realize that mine was in excellent condition and so rare before I took it to the paint shop. From what I have been seeing, not being complete is why so many ppl are gettin rid of these beauties (5 in my area)!!!!!
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:36 PM

Hey guys, I might have found some answers to some of our problems. I have lived here 16 years and just found a non-listed Oldsmobile Haven 30 miles away. It has Ninety-Eights from 68-75 with complete cars and parts cars. Im goin back next week to retrieve a pair of quarter panel extensions for my 76.
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dbbigyellowcar
Hey Don,
If you want, I will take a gander and see what they have for your 73 and upload pix.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by caddy
Hey guys, I might have found some answers to some of our problems. I have lived here 16 years and just found a non-listed Oldsmobile Haven 30 miles away. It has Ninety-Eights from 68-75 with complete cars and parts cars. Im goin back next week to retrieve a pair of quarter panel extensions for my 76.
Hey Caddy, what a score!! Please grab whatever quarter fillers they have that are in good shape, assuming they're reasonably priced. I am in desperate need of a RH filler for my burgundy 98 but I am looking for spares as well. Also, please see if there are any really nice black (tilt only) steering wheels. Hopefully you can get some good pics of the cars and parts they have. This place could be a homerun for us!!

John
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey Caddy, what a score!! Please grab whatever quarter fillers they have that are in good shape, assuming they're reasonably priced. I am in desperate need of a RH filler for my burgundy 98 but I am looking for spares as well. Also, please see if there are any really nice black (tilt only) steering wheels. Hopefully you can get some good pics of the cars and parts they have. This place could be a homerun for us!!

John
Will do...
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Hey John,

If you are still looking to do this you can count me for 2 sets also

Thanks

Tom
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

Thumbs up

the 76 i just picked up has the fiberglass fillers and on top of not being flexible, which helps with potential noise as the bumper is bolted to the frame and the fillers to the body and they do not always flex in unison they are not of good quality and just do not feel right to the touch when you know what they are supposed to feel like.. the car im looking at needs them and i would pay for nos if available, but since they are few and so far between i would pay a premium for an abs set that fit properly. i would buy at least a set if not two. dave
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM

I am posting for a new member who is having some trouble using this site at this time. Roy is from Norway and is the proud owner of a beautiful '76 Ninety Eight Regency with the power moonroof and he is also in need of replacement quarter fillers. I'm trying to help him navigate this site so hopefully he will join us soon.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
pimp ghetto sled lover

bought another 76 and fillers are brittle as most are.. yeah im ready for some quality ones and would have no problem paying the extra over the 'glass ones.. hope they are hearing us as we are probably the tip of the iceberg on this.. im sure if done, it will end up being more than worth the while in the long run for all involved!
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM

put me down for a set too, mine are pretty much gone
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM

I found them

I FOUND THEM E & K Bumper Fillers Inc. has them for $69.00 a piece, their not listed on the website but an e-mail confirmed that they do have them call
1-800-354-1025 and Ken will be happy to assist you. according to the site they have only ABS parts and carry lots of models here's the website
http://sandkindustries.com/parts.html hope this helps everyone out their
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Anyone bought a set yet to see the fit quality? Would like to know how they are before I make a purchase...
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Moose
I FOUND THEM E & K Bumper Fillers Inc. has them for $69.00 a piece, their not listed on the website but an e-mail confirmed that they do have them call
1-800-354-1025 and Ken will be happy to assist you. according to the site they have only ABS parts and carry lots of models here's the website
http://sandkindustries.com/parts.html hope this helps everyone out their
Great job Moose!!!! I haven't seen this company yet so if they really do make them for our cars, I will be ordering a trial set first thing tomorrow and will let you all know how they look and fit as soon as I can try them on my car. My fingers are crossed that this will be a solution for us.

If these are a quality part, this company is in for a treat because they will get A LOT of orders for these quickly and I think we will all spread the word on their behalf. I don't want to get ahead of myself so let's see how this pans out.

Thanks Moose!
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Hey guys,

I just spoke with Ken at E & K Bumper Fillers. Although the set of fillers they currently sell are the same fiberglass ones that we all know already, he said he can make molds from a set of originals and make new ones in ABS. I have a pair or decent original fillers that I can donate to this effort and I will be packing them up and sending them to Ken in the next couple of days. He said it would take about 4-5 weeks to make the molds and they would cost $69 each. He seemed very confident that they would fit just like the originals since he would be making them from an original set. Keep your fingers crossed because this COULD BE our solution to this problem. I will keep you guys posted.

Thank you for this lead Moose!
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM

the only thing about ABS is that it is much harder than the original ones would have been. ABS is like the plastic that the 70 to 72 consoles are made from. i would think they would crack much easier. maybe there is a more flexible ABS than i know about. if it is the same i would think fiberglass would be better but i am not expert on modern plastic.
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM

I could see what you mean about that but the only real reason they should crack would be if you were unfortunately hit which would also break the fiberglass ones. If the figerglass ones were actually made well and fit the cars correctly, our problem would be solved but it's quite the opposite in reality. As long as Ken can make an accurate reproduction that fits like the originals, we will be home free.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Hey guys,

Just letting you all know that I am working on this. Ken gave me his address and I was able to put together a pair of original fillers that are in decent enough condition that he should be able to work with them. I have to get them packed up in a way that they will arrive safely and I've been super busy with a number of projects and life itself. I hope to have them on their way by this weekend. I'm going to include a letter to Ken asking for him to take his time with making a quality product because he has dozens of potential orders waiting in the balance if the product is well made. I will also include some of our postings from here so he sees some of the demand for these parts. I will keep you posted on any updates. Keep your fingers crossed guys...this could be our solution!
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM

Hey gang!

Just a quick update on the status of the reproduction quarter fillers. By a complete stroke of luck, I found a beautiful original set of fillers on ebay recently and was amazed at their condition when they arrived. I just shipped them down to Ken this weekend and they should arrive mid-to-late this week. I included a letter in the package explaining how important it was to make a quality part and that he would have a large amount of orders coming his way upon my approval of the parts. He estimated about a month to make them but I told him to take his time to assure they were made right. I will keep you posted but things are in motion now so keep your fingers crossed!

John
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM

wahoo!!!
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Hello fellow Ninety Eight owners! Just an update on the status of the reproduction fillers. I spoke with Ken of E&K fillers last night and he said his manufacturer is working on them right now. It's a time consuming process and he said he'll be in touch in the next couple/few weeks. I actually met another 76 98 owner on vacation last week in North Carolina and he's now on the waiting list for these replacements too. He actually had one of the fiberglass ones on his car and I could not believe how poorly it fit. I am really looking forward to seeing the new reproductions! I will keep you posted on any updates.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM

Hello again Ninety Eight friends! I just got off the phone with Ken and although it's taken a little longer than originally anticipated, he said his manufacturer is currently working on our fillers. Apparently, they had other projects like this (making new molds) ahead of ours which was the reason for the delay. He said they should be done in about 2-3 weeks and according to Ken, they will be "perfect"! Man am I hoping he's right! The RH on my red 98's is more than 1/2 gone now and the RH on the black 98 has already started cracking a bit too. Hopefully we'll all be able to order new sets and have them painted and installed in plenty of time for next season!

I will let you know as soon as I have an update, or even better new fillers in my hands!!

John
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM

Much Obliged
Old October 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Good work on the fillers John. I also have 2 76 98's and a 75 Delta 88! I am glad I finally joined ClassicOldsmobile! Now I can also check for parts here as well!
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 7698Regency
Good work on the fillers John. I also have 2 76 98's and a 75 Delta 88! I am glad I finally joined ClassicOldsmobile! Now I can also check for parts here as well!
Well look who finally decided to join us! Welcome my friend. I think you're going to love this site. You should introduce yourself on the Newbie Forum and post some pics of your cars.

I am hoping to have the first set of remanufactured quarter fillers in my hands in about one month!
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM

Another update gang. This time I got to speak with the actual manufacturer (Ken is a supplier I believer) and he said the molds are made and they are ready for production. He said to give him another couple of weeks and they should be ready to ship. He also said he thinks these are going to be one of the best sets he's made yet. He seemed very confident so let's keep the faith and hope that he's right! I should have another update in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see them finally!!

John
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM

Another update gang. This time I got to speak with the actual manufacturer (Ken is a supplier I believer) and he said the molds are made and they are ready for production. He said to give him another couple of weeks and they should be ready to ship. He also said he thinks these are going to be one of the best sets he's made yet. He seemed very confident so let's keep the faith and hope that he's right! I should have another update in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see them finally!!

John
Hey John,
Just seeing how the status of this is going. Just curious of when they might be ready to order. Appreciate you doing and going the extra mile to get them good pieces for a mold.
Jason
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 75regency
Hey John,
Just seeing how the status of this is going. Just curious of when they might be ready to order. Appreciate you doing and going the extra mile to get them good pieces for a mold.
Jason
Hey Jason,

I just spoke with him again last week and he said they'll be ready to ship early this week. I'll be calling him today to follow up and with any luck, I'll have the first pair in my hands in a few days. I cannot tell you how bad I'm dying to see these things, assuming they're as good as he claims.

I'll keep you guys posted in the upcoming days. In the meantime, get that beautiful Ninety Eight prep'd for winter!

John
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM

Gang, good news! The prototype set of fillers is on its way to me and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow! I will do a test fit as soon as possible and will then report back to Ken if any adjustments need to be made before they run the final production version. I cannot wait to see these things finally!

Don't worry, I will be taking plenty of photos throughout the process that I'll post on here.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM

Good, Good...
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:39 PM

Gang, good news! The prototype set of fillers is on its way to me and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow! I will do a test fit as soon as possible and will then report back to Ken if any adjustments need to be made before they run the final production version. I cannot wait to see these things finally!

Don't worry, I will be taking plenty of photos throughout the process that I'll post on here.
Excellent..I can't wait either..my car i starting to look like crap cause the left filler is falling apart daily..lol
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Guys, I have the prototypes!!! I got them on Friday and got started test fitting the RH. I still have some work to do but I ran out of time and had to put the car away. I'm hoping to put some more time in this weekend but time is a little limited lately. My first impression is that these are going to solve our problem! They are not a perfect fit but they are close (a MILLION times better than the fiberglass ones!). When I'm done, I'll report back to the manufacturer and the necessary changes should get us on the money. Check out the pictures I took and let me know what you think. I hope you guys like them and keep in mind, these are only the prototypes!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...3%3A1487123712
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Guys, I have the prototypes!!! I got them on Friday and got started test fitting the RH. I still have some work to do but I ran out of time and had to put the car away. I'm hoping to put some more time in this weekend but time is a little limited lately. My first impression is that these are going to solve our problem! They are not a perfect fit but they are close (a MILLION times better than the fiberglass ones!). When I'm done, I'll report back to the manufacturer and the necessary changes should get us on the money. Check out the pictures I took and let me know what you think. I hope you guys like them and keep in mind, these are only the prototypes!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...3%3A1487123712
Lookin Awfully Close...
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Hi 76 Regency
I would like to order a set for sure! I bought this fiberglas ones but the quality is more than worth! Yours look really good!
Please let me know when its possible to buy ones.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Hi Nick and the rest of the gang!

These are a thousand times better than the fiberglass ones but they are not quite right yet. The set I have right now (the ones in the pics above) are only a prototype set. I still have to finish fitting them on my car before I can tell the manufacturer of any revisions he needs to make before running a final product. I have been super busy lately and my wife and I just had our first baby less than a week ago so things have been a bit hectic as well. I am home for the next two weeks and my car is home with me during this time so I hope to finish the test fitting during this time and report back to the manufacturer and you guys.

Please be patient as I'm hoping that the final product will be as close to an OEM as possible. They are not quite there yet but close. Trust me, I want these at least as bad as each of you. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

John

Happy New Year everybody!
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Thank you for your answer and congratulation for your baby! The important things first! Dont hurry I have time to wait.

Quick Reply: Quarter Fillers for '75 & '76 Ninety Eight