General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Quadrajet Carbeurator

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Quadrajet Carbeurator

Good evening ladies and gents. I plan to purchase a Rochester Quadrajet Carb. from either Autozone or Advanced Auto. I need to know if I can just walk-in a buy one or do I need to bring the numbers off the old carb?
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM

I didn't even know you could walk into either of those stores and buy a carb.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Captain of my ship

#'s

They would be able to check their computer for the appropriate carb for the year and model of your car. Having said that I doubt that they would carry the Q-jet and will probably offer you an aftermarket carb. If you want the Q-jet you may have to order it online , the guys on this site will know the places that carry it. Most I have seen are of the rebuilt nature but some do carry a warrenty and that is what you need to look for.That and a reputible parts dealer.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Q-Jet Replacement

Thx Wolfman. Autozone and Advanced Auto do carry Q-Jets. However, most are remans. Shouldnt be a prob because they come with a warrenty.
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Captain of my ship

rebuilt

same here , all I can find at auto stores is rebuilt and that is mostly what is available online though you can get the occasional "new" Q-jet. Depends on how mich you are willing to spend. So how is the resto on that cutlass coming along? any recent pics or do you have a site like at flickr or photobucket?
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:38 AM

You should not have a prob getting the Q-jet, if you wish, let me know the specs on your final engine and exhaust combo and I will be glad to help you with the calibration of the carb..Most re-mans are pretty generic and may not perform out of the box as you would like them to.

Danny
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM

USA Parts Supply

The project is coming along nicely. I'm a bit impatient. The exterior is 90% complete. It just needs a few minor touch ups.

The interior, however, is a different story. I'm actually getting quotes now from upholsters. I can't decide if it's cheaper to buy materials (seat covers, carpet, door panels, etc) and pay for labor or just let the upholster do the complete job, material and all.

Has anyone ever heard of USA Parts Supply? They have interior packages. Their prices seem good......Any opinions?????
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

buy the carb online,and have it shipped to you.

they wont have it in stock at the store,unless you buy it and wait 3 days

i bet a month after you buy it,the well plugs start leaking.
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Deano's carbs, Smitty @ M & J Proformance, plenty of others around the boards. If your car is a 350, look for what I think would be a 7041250 (check Qjet thread, it might list apps) or similar good core & send it off to one of these competent builders & you'll have something that should work & perform well right out of the box. It would be tailored to your build, easily "expandable", linkage & plumbing correct. The other advantage is that it won't have generic, non serviceable, often non identifiable parts inside it. Will cost a little more, not necessarily a lot, will take a few weeks instead of days, but it will be hassle free bolt on & go.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
........ plenty of others around the boards ........
Including W30cars, who authored post #6.

Norm
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Captain of my ship

area

You are around the Memphis area right so maybe check around and see if there is someone near enough to your area that has a good reputation rebuilding carbs and maybe they will have one or if not be able to rebuild yours. Always possabilities depending in how much of a hurry you are in. I remember getting a rebuilt starter once from our Canadian Tire store and it would not work because of a small collar that allows bendex to slide out , well the one they put in was too small so when I engaged the starter it just jammed up. Ended up getting my old one back and taking it to a local guy close to here. Took 3 days but that was 7 years ago and it still works fine