General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

purchased a nice lil pile of late 60's early 70's Delcos... some am/fm

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:37 PM

purchased a nice lil pile of late 60's early 70's Delcos... some am/fm

Scored a nice lil pile of late 60's early 70's Delco radios recently. seller told me they are all 67-72 olds & buick A-body radios. he did mention that some work & some don't. there are a total of 12... (i know only 11 in the pic... thats because the 12th is taken apart on the bench) some are olds (4 on left) but most are bu!ck (8). most importantly there are 5 am/fm's out of which 3 are olds the other 2 are bu!ck. i bought these radios as well as a large box full of late 60's early 70's factory service manuals all originals... but mostly bu!ck. got everything on the cheap so i ain't complaining.

so back to the radios... most importantly the 4 oldsmobile radios. there are 3 am/fm's, one wonderbar & 2 of them still have stickers. the olds push button am also has a sticker & is from a 72 cutlass from what i've read. i've learned a lot from just tinkering on them. i started with the 2 worst looking bu!ck am's one of them actually had a hand written piece of tape that said "Not Working" & i was able to fix both pretty easily. learned a simple way to cure most "sticking pointer" issues with the push actuated buttons. i plan on doing a quick write up from what i've learned about the Delcos. ill post it up when i'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (86.0 KB, 59 views)
3.5.jpg (60.4 KB, 32 views)
3.jpg (59.0 KB, 30 views)
4.jpg (62.5 KB, 29 views)
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:16 PM

Nice score! I have piles of radios, too, but later models. Don't let those service manuals get away, thats for sure!
I have done some writeups on radio work also with lots more to do. Got some CB combos I need to get working...
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Nice score! I have piles of radios, too, but later models. Don't let those service manuals get away, thats for sure!
I have done some writeups on radio work also with lots more to do. Got some CB combos I need to get working...
sweet! where can i view your write ups? it would be good to have some more tech info on them. 1st radio i checked lit up but played no sound... realized that i needed that jumper if the ***** are gone... more importantly if the fader **** is missing. haha i've been diving in blind.. learning on the fly as they say
Old August 5th, 2013, 11:05 PM

I know some years (70-72) Delco had a Radio Service Manual. It covered all branches of GM/radios/8 tracks... used for a particular year. I have a few I have found over the years. Kinda hard to find. They may help with your repairs.

Don W
Attached Images
70 Radio Manual 001.jpg (40.7 KB, 15 views)
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:25 AM

If you decide to let go of a AM/FM Mono that would be correct for a 70 let me know. Nice score!
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
If you decide to let go of a AM/FM Mono that would be correct for a 70 let me know. Nice score!
thanks. thinking about keeping that one as it will fit my in my '68. on the fence about am vs am/fm & numbers matching etc. i'll let you know
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
I know some years (70-72) Delco had a Radio Service Manual. It covered all branches of GM/radios/8 tracks... used for a particular year. I have a few I have found over the years. Kinda hard to find. They may help with your repairs.

Don W
These were made in many years, probably all of them!
The manuals I have are for the early-mid 80s.
When radios were defective, the dealer would send them out to auto electronics repair shops for service. Those places would have these manuals, do the repair and send back to the dealer for installation.
Most of these places repaired speedometers and gauges, too.

There are not many places or people who currently service these old radios, so keep that manual or sell it if you do not want it - they will help keep these original radios alive.

Oh - I have not posted my writeups yet as they are not near ready. Life keeps getting in the way of progress!
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:13 AM

Thumbs up

If your looking to get rid of one that fits in @ 1972 cutlass working or not let me know thanks. Just bought a newly fabricated 8 track housing from a fellow member now I need a radio to fill in the gap in my dash !