General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Protective measures...

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Protective measures...

I am the proud owner (two months and counting) of the second-to-last big woodie Oldsmobile--well, GM, really--V8 RWD wagon, an '89 Custom Cruiser.

Now I've owned a lot of cars and I've lived in Michigan for over five years now, but this will be the first time that I've had a massive 1970s/1980s-style American car AND lived in Michigan AND been worried about protecting the car all at the same time.

Now she's not perfect (what with some rust bubbling around her left rear wheel arch), but considering the fact she's been an Ohio/Michigan resident her whole life, she must have been SERIOUSLY pampered by her previous owners.

[I, however, have to drive her this winter, and she won't fit in my garage. Ugh.]

SO, here are my "big" questions:

Will a car like this be a handful in snow?
[I don't want to get stuck because her weight makes her bog down, she has no traction, her braking/steering makes her do neither, etc.]

What snow-related issues am I facing?
[Seems the "hideaway" wipers will just get frozen down in their well, the rear power-down window track could be filled with defrosted water that will just freeze again INSIDE the door, shorting/jamming its innards, etc.]

Am I just being overly protective/a weenie?
[Self-explanatory, though I am obviously in love with this car and want what's best for her short of a life in Southern California/Arizona/anywhere snow's not an issue.]

Thanks in advance...

Drew

Old November 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by auto_editor
I am the proud owner (two months and counting) of the second-to-last big woodie Oldsmobile--well, GM, really--V8 RWD wagon, an '89 Custom Cruiser.

Now I've owned a lot of cars and I've lived in Michigan for over five years now, but this will be the first time that I've had a massive 1970s/1980s-style American car AND lived in Michigan AND been worried about protecting the car all at the same time.

Now she's not perfect (what with some rust bubbling around her left rear wheel arch), but considering the fact she's been an Ohio/Michigan resident her whole life, she must have been SERIOUSLY pampered by her previous owners.

[I, however, have to drive her this winter, and she won't fit in my garage. Ugh.]

SO, here are my "big" questions:

Will a car like this be a handful in snow?
[I don't want to get stuck because her weight makes her bog down, she has no traction, her braking/steering makes her do neither, etc.]

What snow-related issues am I facing?
[Seems the "hideaway" wipers will just get frozen down in their well, the rear power-down window track could be filled with defrosted water that will just freeze again INSIDE the door, shorting/jamming its innards, etc.]

Am I just being overly protective/a weenie?
[Self-explanatory, though I am obviously in love with this car and want what's best for her short of a life in Southern California/Arizona/anywhere snow's not an issue.]

Thanks in advance...

Drew
A heavier car shouldn't get stuck as easy. Since she is heavy, she's less likely to get stuck riding up on snow. With that said, you'll want good snow tires (at least good all season). If you have no experience driving in snow or winter conditions make sure you are never in a hurry and carry an emergency kit (as well as a cell phone) where ever you drive. If you get stuck, don't floor it to try and get out...you're making it worse. Think of yourself running a race on ice. You would start off like you would on a summer day on a track? No. Try not to spin the wheels, let them get a grip. Also, if you can rock the car, 9 times out of 10 you'll get out.

If it rains and freezes, before you get into the car, pull the wipers away from the windshield, then they won't stick when you turn them on. Otherwise they may cause the fuse to blow if they're frozen.

You shouldn't be getting water inside the car because the rear defroster will move the ice on the outside of the window. Only small condensation will form inside at times. No big deal (unless there's something you left out), but you said it was pampered so all should be good.

Quit being a weenie. If I am correct, Michigan uses road salt on the roads like the rest of the eastern USA and Canada. Take the car to a "DIY" car wash and use the wand underneath and in the wheel well area. o this about once a week (or two). That should keep it alive longer.

Good luck. If you haven't driven in winter conditions before maybe you should take some driving lessons. I'm not trying to insult you, however it's better than killing youself or some other poor innocent and it will arm you with some skills to avoid others heading your way.

Check out this on-line Canadian Magazine on winter driving. http://www.canadiandriver.com/winterdriving

Stay safe and good luck.

Last edited by 442much; November 19th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old November 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I had an 85 custom crusier like yours. It did pretty well in the snow with regular tires.
One thing i did was add weight to the back of the car if it was going to be alot of snow. About 150 to 200 lbs usally in the well where you put your feet with the thrid seat up. It really helped with traction. Some of the weight was a bag of sand just in case.
Larry

Remember driving a rear wheel car in snow is alot different tha a front wheel drive car.
Find an empty parking lot that hasn't been plowed and try different handling. Slowly and safely just to get a feel.

Last edited by lshlsh2; November 19th, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Since I drove a brand-new Cadillac Limo through the blizzard of '79 in Chicago, maybe I can help.
Best advise I could give is to have a good set of tires and fresh brakes - should get you through just about anything!
Good snow brush/ice scraper - start the car, turn on the defroster,and start brushing/scraping. Warmed-up when done!
Heavier cars take off well - leave plenty of room in front of you to stop, though!
You'll make it - it's not that bad!
I might take some POR-15 to that rust-through - brush it on heavy so the rust doesn't get worse!
If you need x-tra weight in the back - what're wives for???
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM

I agree with what was said above. Make sure you have a good scraper and put a few sand bags in the back. Just drive carefully and you should be fine. I'm sure Michigan scrapes their roads pretty well.
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM

All good advice, you be just fine
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM

maybe you should have the car under coated with rust inhibiter,around here it cost about $60 at the small local shops.Rust check or Crown costs a little more,I think it's a great investment.
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:24 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Biggest thing is to not slam on your brakes in snow (of course after 5 years in Michigan I'm sure you probably know this). It is a natural reaction when you are sliding but it only makes things worse. Use your transmission when possible. I love your plates!
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:48 AM
Past Administrator

Lots of people cover the greenhouse of the car (part with the windows) with a heavy tarp to keep ice and snow off of it, especially during a storm when they KNOW it will be snowing or icing up. When it is time to go, just pull the tarp off and most of that crap comes with it and best of all, no ice in the wiper wells so they don't stick. Since you have a wagon, you have lots of room to wad it up and store it in the back.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking of going the tarp method, but haven't found a waterproof-yet-soft-on-the-inside cover. They make "custom" car covers, but I'm hoping I'll find something with the needed the dimensions (without the unwanted additional cost).

[BTW: Everybody loves that plate except for my wife. She never really liked the car, but she absolutely REFUSES to drive it now due to the plate's unfortunate possible double meaning...]
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:28 AM

They were nice wagons, my friend’s father always bought those every two or three years and often one of the kids would get it 2nd hand. They never had trouble in the snow and they last a very long time. They were also great for Friday and Saturday night bone cruises. Your biggest issue will be salt.
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by auto_editor
...[BTW: Everybody loves that plate except for my wife. She never really liked the car, but she absolutely REFUSES to drive it now due to the plate's unfortunate possible double meaning...]
Then I guess that means you get to have all the fun.
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:14 AM

[quote=lshlsh2;226862]I had an 85 custom crusier like yours. It did pretty well in the snow with regular tires.

quote]

X2 on the regular tires. Weight in the back is another plus.

"Emergency" snow chains are cheap insurance and easy to get on if you are ever stuck.