General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

pre-ignition on 425

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Englishman

pre-ignition on 425

not sure if this is common with american V8's but my engine continues to run for a few seconds after the ignition is turned off!!

There's no banging or pinking noises so i'm assuming it's just carbon build up in the fuel system???

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Just the facts...

it is more common with older/high-compression motors. carbon build-up can also contribute to this. first, i would check your idle speed. my '69 350 used to do this when the idle speed was too high and the previous owner had defeated the anti-diesel solenoid's function. iirc, your idle speed s/b 550-575 rpm in park, assuming your switch-pitch th400 is functional. if you're not getting any pinging/knocking under moderate load, i would say that any carbon build-up is minimal and not the cause of the dieseling.

bill

Last edited by BILL DEMMER; October 10th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Englishman

it varies.
sometimes it doesn't happen at all but every now and then it will run-on for a couple of seconds, emitting a nasty smell and sometimes a small amount of smoke from under the hood.

I've added some Reddex to the tank which seemed to work for a while but started to happen again soon after.

I will adjust the idle speed and see what happens.

I have also noticed the my engine stays very hot for a long time after running. I was working on the fuel pump the other day and the car had been left standing for 1 hour after a 10 minute drive. The engine was still too hot to touch after this time - is that normal?
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
zed

A habit I developed from having higher compresion ratio motors was to shut the engine off while idling in Drive. Then throwing it into Park. The lower idle speed helps, assuming it an auto trans.
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Englishman

Originally Posted by zed
A habit I developed from having higher compresion ratio motors was to shut the engine off while idling in Drive. Then throwing it into Park. The lower idle speed helps, assuming it an auto trans.
This is the exact method i have now adopted!

The tick over is definitely a tad fast, and since I treated the car to a full tank of 97 RON fuel and a dose of Redex, it now it ticks over even faster!
So have been switching off in gear and then setting to park. The run-on hasn't happened since doing this!
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM
zed

Glad to hear.