General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Poll: what would you do to this cutlass?

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:28 AM

Poll: what would you do to this cutlass?

I got this 65 F-85 about a year ago and have done nothing to it except a few minor repairs. This is my first classic car and would love to do some updates. Curious what all of you on this forum would do. I am very handy around the house but have little experience working on old cars though I did a tear down of a 1956 case tractor a few years ago. If I cannot teach myself, I am confident I can learn or find someone to do it for me! Here are the facts as i know them.

Engine: 330 v-8. Rebuilt about 3,000 miles ago by previous owner. Engine had a minor fire prior to the rebuild.
Tranny: original 2 speed jetaway automatic. Minor leak of undetermined source.
Interior: original bucket seats, reupholstered a few years ago. Not original style. Center console, tachometer, original radio replaced with stereo in the 80's.
Body: a few minor dings, chrome molding in good shape but not perfect.
Paint: repainted in orignal turquouse mist color about ten years ago. Decent condition but not close to perfect.
Carb: 4 bbl Rochester, but not sure what I have. Previous owner replaced with a rebuilt a few years ago. It is in poor condition and the jets are bent.

What's not working:

tach, right blinker, wipers and wiper pump.

From what I can tell, this car has had a rear end body repair and the trunk lid has been replaced with a non-matching (though very close) lid. New paint probably ten years ago but not great quality.

What I definitely will be doing:
  • new wheels/tires
  • new ragtop (eventually)
  • redo interior - upholstery and carpet
  • reparing the items I mentioned are not working.
  • New carburetor

Curious what you would do. Nothing is off limits. I don't necessarily need to stay completely original on everything but want to stay true to it's original design.

My goal is to just have a nice driver that I can take to the local shows if I want and get a few second looks!!!

Link to my album:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...85+ragtop.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
165.JPG (169.7 KB, 93 views)
167.JPG (213.3 KB, 85 views)
152.JPG (228.3 KB, 79 views)
155.JPG (175.8 KB, 76 views)
160.JPG (179.7 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by 1965F85_scholten; June 26th, 2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:23 AM
72 Olds CS

it looks nice as is I would drive it. while enjoying it I would repair stuff like your tach and other things along the way

long term maybe tranny upgrade, rims and tires things like that

the paint is perfect for a driver if you want a car you cant drive and have to worry about and need an enclosed trailer to take it anywhere then go all out for paint and NOS replacment parts

me I like a nice condition driver and thats what you have

What do you want to do w it ???
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Very nice car. I like the color. Yea fix what you can first. I would trim the tail pipes down a bit. They seem to stick out way too far. The wheels are not too bad but down the road I would replace em. The most important thing is to drive it and have fun with it.
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Administrator

I would tune it up, service the trans and fix the leak, service the brakes, have a muffler shop replace those tailpipes with turn downs at the bumper, get rid of those wheels/ and possibly the tires, check the front end, shocks, and align. Give a good cleaning inside and out, and drive the **** out of it!
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I would tune it up, service the trans and fix the leak, service the brakes, have a muffler shop replace those tailpipes with turn downs at the bumper, get rid of those wheels/ and possibly the tires, check the front end, shocks, and align. Give a good cleaning inside and out, and drive the **** out of it!
This is pretty much what I would do.
Make it a good reliable driver first (and everything working), clean it up well, then decide on upgrades later.
The wheels would be my first upgrades, along with new tires if yours are over 8 years old.
Paint looks nice, but maybe you can use a good polish and really add some shine back to it (if needed).
Cars like this are pretty uncommon in shows, so it will draw attention well in stock form!
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I would check the brakes and maybe upgrade to front discs if you have drums esp. if you are going to do a bunch of driving. Maybe an overdrive trans in future? That's me, it's your nickel have fun with it.

Larry
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:50 AM

Hop in and go , and then drive it some more, nice car.
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:54 AM
delete

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I would check the brakes and maybe upgrade to front discs if you have drums esp. if you are going to do a bunch of driving. Maybe an overdrive trans in future? That's me, it's your nickel have fun with it.

Larry
If you still have the orig style master cylinder it will be single reservoir. I'd change that to dual for safety reasons no matter if you keep the drums or go for discs.
Get the carb rebuilt if its bad. For driving enjoyment consider swapping the 2 sp Jetaway for a 200R4 and getting lower gears since the transmission needs to be looked at either way. Its a win-win with better performance and better gas mileage.
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Here is what I would do:
mildly built 455
fast EZ EFI
headers
2-1/2" mandrel bent exhaust
200R4 trans
3.73 gears
front disc conversion
recover the seats in original covers
reproduction SSI's with white letter T/A's (15x7 front and 15x8 rear)
drive it all over the U.S.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
it looks nice as is I would drive it. while enjoying it I would repair stuff like your tach and other things along the way

long term maybe tranny upgrade, rims and tires things like that

the paint is perfect for a driver if you want a car you cant drive and have to worry about and need an enclosed trailer to take it anywhere then go all out for paint and NOS replacment parts

me I like a nice condition driver and thats what you have

What do you want to do w it ???
Thank you for the information.

I am pretty much doing what you suggested. I am driving as is and plan on new rims/tires before end of summer. Next, I am going to start fixing the minor stuff like the tach, new wiper motor. If I do anything major, I think I will gut the interior and restore to original then start working outward on all the minor suff that's not perfect or needs some love.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by DENT
Hop in and go , and then drive it some more, nice car.
Thanks, love the car but think I need to make a few minor changes to fit my style. Fun to drive for sure.
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM

New wheels/tires and go! Beautiful car.
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM

I suggest waiting until it need tires before to put new rims on it and fix all those little things first. The first thing I would fix is the carb
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:51 AM

First, basic maintenance stuff
New rims and tires
Maybe replace bucket and bench seat covers with original looking ones.
Exhaust.
Drive and enjoy
Leave it clean and stock. Its a beautiful car.
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:48 PM

What's so bad about the wheels? They don't look all that bad to me...in any case as long as the tires are good that should be a down-the-road thing to handle...fix what's actually broken first...the OD trans and gear change would be the only upgrade I see needed.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:35 AM

I'd drive it as it is, just fix the tranny link. My last 65 442 had a newer tranny put in and the shifter never lined up. Would have rather kept the original. The front brakes got disked, and then the stock rims wouldn't fit over the callipers. I say change NOTHING. Can you tell I'm getting old?
P.S. Go back to stock rims, too,