General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pinstripping 442

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Pinstripping 442

Came across this picture from GM. Thought I'd share. Was wondering how I am going to do my pinstrips when it's time.
AL
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
53217531_pr.jpeg (61.1 KB, 96 views)
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Easy, you buy a stencil kit and go from there. What's the end goal? You looking for the wide W30 stripes or the narrower ones?
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Easy, you buy a stencil kit and go from there. What's the end goal? You looking for the wide W30 stripes or the narrower ones?
Yeah I saw a kit at Eastwood. Have to practice alot. The 442 had small strips along the sides and wheel wells.
AL
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
Yeah I saw a kit at Eastwood. Have to practice alot. The 442 had small strips along the sides and wheel wells.
AL
Are you planning on doing all the painting yourself too? I believe the stencils have an adhesive backing to help keep the stripes crisp and straight. You can also check Fusick Automotive supplies - their stencil kit is on page 93 of the newest catalogue. http://www.fusick.com/catfile/Catalo...Layout%201.pdf One other place to check; Stencils and stripes. Sounds like you are looking for the W31 striping http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/pr_olds.asp
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:50 PM

No side stripe templates for the car unless you are going with W car side stripes. Yours had the 71/2 triple side stripe....prepare your painter for some "fun".
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:55 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by 70Post
No side stripe templates for the car unless you are going with W car side stripes. Yours had the 71/2 triple side stripe....prepare your painter for some "fun".
Oh..I've already showed him pictures and prepped him. Have all the measurements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
71Olds442Blue-020.jpg (98.5 KB, 30 views)
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
Oh..I've already showed him pictures and prepped him. Have all the measurements.
You have the Assembly Manual? Just a thought. Have you considered having the stripes done freehand by a pinstriper? When my 83 Regency got repainted, that was the option I was offered at the body shop. The original paint on the car was lacquer which had to be redone because it went on too dry and 'crazed' all over, but the stripes where enamel freehand and they looked great! Gives it the personalized touch
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
MOTORHEAD

Well worth the effort to do things right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4four2 001.jpg (89.2 KB, 27 views)
Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

You have the Assembly Manual? Just a thought. Have you considered having the stripes done freehand by a pinstriper? When my 83 Regency got repainted, that was the option I was offered at the body shop. The original paint on the car was lacquer which had to be redone because it went on too dry and 'crazed' all over, but the stripes where enamel freehand and they looked great! Gives it the personalized touch
Yes we'll do it by hand. Was talking to Patton sveral months ago and he has an Olds wth the original oinstripping on it. In places it's uneven and such but he keeps it as it is original. Pretty neat! Can't afford to make a jig as GM in the photo.
AL
Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds good. BTW, just had a look at your new album. Lots done, lots still to do. Keep up the good work. I also recognize that pic you put in your avatar!!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Sounds good. BTW, just had a look at your new album. Lots done, lots still to do. Keep up the good work. I also recognize that pic you put in your avatar!!
Got lots more post. Ran out of time today. That pic of me was my glorious day I got the dash out! Again with the help of someones' post and pictures. I would have wound up using a sawsall if not!
AL
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM

I'd just lay them out by hand and paint after car is done like factory did or some people paint a wide strip of stripe color down the side of car, tape the car like you were going to stripe it, paint the body color, peel off the tape to reveal the stripes in the color you chose and then clear over everything.original71stripes3.jpg
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM

original71stripes2.jpg
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by 70Post
Patton-check out the other photo sent in. The white car. Notice the cross
hatching at the wheel well. Is that like yours you mentioned awhile back? Factory? I remember you saying they were not done quite perfect.
AL
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:55 PM

That is very "typical" imperfection where the stripes come together...."cross hatch" or not a perfect sharp corner is what I've seen. A couple original paint/triple-side-striped cars here have similar "defects" at the intersections. Really, really cool stuff if you ask me.

Another one here that's been repainted had a pretty nice job done on it. Not perfect and it looked like the painter must have masked off the triple stripe setup with tape and then used a brush to lay down the stripes. The thickness of the paint makes it seem this way as you look closely at the stripe (doesn't have a super even sprayed look). Similar "look" at the intersections...not absolutely perfect. The car was striped here many years ago and the owner and I were talking about it the other day....how whoever striped it really did a good job of not making them look "too perfect".

Also--notice the gap between the end of the stripe and the QP edge as well as the ANGLED ending on the stripe...follows the angle of the QP edge. On the front fender there's a gap as well but the stripes are cut off straight up and down.

Last edited by 70Post; January 22nd, 2012 at 09:01 PM.