General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"Pay Forward" with parts?

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2017, 02:55 AM

"Pay Forward" with parts?

I read a article in one of the Hemmings publications about the writer giving away some old car parts to another fella and asking the part receiver to make a donation of some value less than the perceived value of the part to a charity. That is a pretty good idea!! How many of us have parts that are too nice to throw away but we cant seem to sell? Sometimes it's a younger new person to the hobby who would love to have those old seat covers or rusted but otherwise straight front fender. I understand those guys who are in business to buy and sell these parts (thank God for them cuz it's a lot of hassle) can't give away their stuff but I'll bet some of us can. I know some of you have and I have gotten free parts off this site. Anyway I think after I finish my Vista I am going to offer the extra parts up for free. Much better than throwing away. I don't know about asking the receiver to make a donation though.. What you think?
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Olds Fever

I have been giving a lot of parts away (especially W-Body) to local people who may have a use for them and I will also admit a lot of parts have been scrapped due to lack of demand, can't even give them away... Last year I donated a 1988 Ciera to the local fire department for training purposes... Tried for two years to find a buyer without any luck, and this was a very clean 2-door coupe, but still no takers...
As I continue to downsize my fleet and hoard of parts, I will continue this route...
Old September 26th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Good idea.

I have given parts away, ask for credit from the same person in the future and seem to charge less than normal other times. This site has been good to me as so has the older list serves I've been on.
Old September 26th, 2017, 12:35 PM

I don't need something for free, but I do hate parts gougers who think that the stuff is gold and that it will have value forever. The demand is dropping, and I plan to be happily buying spare goodies at much less price in the future, and some of those gougers are going to get burned and/or die with it all and have it be sold for pennies on the dollar by their daughters who just want it gone.
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:12 PM

I don't want to discourage anyone but, I tried this on another Oldsmobile site. Giving away some aftermarket body fillers that I received with some other free Olds parts. I got the parts from a local guy on Craigslist who asked me to pass them on to an Olds enthusiast . I took pictures and posted a link to the company that makes them and explained they aren't original rubber but fiberglass. I even paid the shipping. Within a short period of time they were spoken for. About a week after I sent them I got an email complaining they weren't original and she didn't like them. Said she was not going to use them and if I wanted them back I'd have to pay return shipping. Never mind that I explained the origin with a link in the original ad and pictures both front and back. It's too bad I sent them to her, I had two other members who expressed an interest. Even "free" with shipping included isn't enough for some people.
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Hookers under Hood

I have given 73-77 parts away in the past and covered the shipping costs.
Both here and the new Olds site.
Not because I have loads of cash to be able to give stuff away with free shipping! In fact just the opposite! I don't have much money, and, do know that its difficult coming up with extra cash at times to spend on our cars.
I haven't had any complaints, many have insisted they want to send me something. I just ask for them to pay it forward in the future if the have extra parts.
I haven't had any bad experiences such as Texxas mentioned, I hope the good trends continue in ourOlds communities.
Put-er-ther!
Eric
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:10 PM
major noob

That's a great idea I've done this on this site many of you have given me stuff and just asked me to pay it foward and that's exactly what I done it's always good to do work like this in this day an age
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I give stuff away all the time. automotive karma. I dont do this hobby to get rich. If i can help someone out i will always do so. Lord knows i have been helped alot over the years. From giving body work away to giving new parts away. Im just always glad i can help.
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:33 PM

I've done it

things that I had and wasn't going to use. Resipients were very appreciative and I was glad to see the parts go to good use. You may need to establish with some that you are generous but not a " fool and his parts will soon be parted" person.
Old September 28th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Yep. I have gotten so much good help and advice on this site and some free parts also. The only thing I gave away was a antenna lead from a windshield which was cracked. I just happened to keep the lead and at the same time a member was looking for one so I sent it to him. I have really enjoyed this site, you guys are great. Wow looking at the related topics at bottom of the page I see this "pay it forward" has been happening awhile!