General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

parts washer

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM

parts washer

Have a old parts washer. Anybody have opinion on what to fill it with. I have been told diesel fuel or kerosene. What do you guys prefer. Thanks
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:54 PM

The best cleaner to use would be naphthalene, or parts washer solvent. You should be able to buy it from your local oil distributor, or ask a local shop if they can get some for you.
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Depends on what you're tolerance is for chemicals too. Just before I retired, we started using bio washers in the shop. The solution is a kind of bacteria that eats grease, but is environmentally safe. The rep even drank some of it in front of us to show it's not harmful to people in any way.

I could have bought one of the olds parts washers for 1$ and brought it home, but it was too big and I really had no place to store it.
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

I would suggest one of the new water soluble cleaners. NAPA sells some that work amazingly well. I've used naphtha previously and after a while I'd get a tingling sensation in my hands. Get chemical gloves at a minimum.
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:57 AM

When i worked at the salvage yard we just used grease cutting dish soap in our parts washer. it was one of the presurized ones (looks and works like a giant dishwasher). It was heated to 180* which i think helped alot with the cleaning. We would put old nasty engines in there that looked HORRIBLE and in 30 minutes in the washer come out looking spotless....always amazed me how well it worked..
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:07 AM

(Quote) The solution is a kind of bacteria that eats grease, but is environmentally safe. The rep even drank some of it in front of us to show it's not harmful to people in any way.

This guy clearly did not learn anything from the Skydrol hydraulic fluid sales pitch representative!!
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
This guy clearly did not learn anything from the Skydrol hydraulic fluid sales pitch representative!!
Ok, that one just needs an explanation. I assume the guy did something incredibly dumb?? The stuff I'm referring to is prolly a lot like the stuff Joe alluded to.
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Several decades ago Skydrol fluid was developed for aviation as a alternative to the flammable MIL-5606 fluid. The claims were that it was not only flame resistant, but very safe. Some of the older folks in aviation will tell you that the sales pitch featured a "Mr. Skydrol" who would drink the stuff to demonstrate it's characteristics. It is still used widely, but is highly irritating to skin, eyes, ect. Nasty stuff to work with, it will destroy the soles of boots, tires, and will strip urethane aircraft paint pretty quickly. Anyway, Mr. Skydrol supposedly had died from cancer as a result. I know that there is no way that I would ever intentionally ingest any form of chemical solvent, regardless of claims.
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That is one wicked story. Sounds like Mr. Skydrol was already a confirmed alcoholic who would drink anything. Gah! stuff that would dissolve skin and tires?? Sounds like brake fluid. uh, does in come in grape flavor???
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Well, it is purple in color!!!
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM

I use mineral spirits and final rinse with brake cleaner.
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Does anyone run diesel or kerosene? That is what my dad used to use but i do remember i never liked the smell when i was a kid. I probably need 20-30 gallon. Anyone have a cost for these other products?
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:51 PM

I used to run kerosene but it does leave an oily coating. It's just more refined home heating fuel basically.
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm fond of kerosene for coarse, heavy-grime wire-brusk cleaning, but I agree, it might be a bit greasy for a parts washer.

In the old days GUNK was a mix of kero and heavy-duty detergent (like Fantastik, 409, or Oil Eater), and a coarse cleaning with kero followed by a heavy detergent still works great.

- Eric
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I'm fond of kerosene for coarse, heavy-grime wire-brusk cleaning, but I agree, it might be a bit greasy for a parts washer.
- Eric
LOL, and when you're done with it, you can fill up the lanterns in the garage. One of these days, you'll get electricity.....
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM

I'm with ELY442.
mineral spirits and parts cleaner.

Gene
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
LOL, and when you're done with it, you can fill up the lanterns in the garage. One of these days, you'll get electricity.....
How do you know I've got lanterns in the garage?!?

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (27).jpg (52.3 KB, 34 views)
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Citric acid. I have a friend who I trust completely and recently rebuilt a carb for me told me about it. He is a retired vo tech teacher and an avid Olds guy. He lives in another state so I did not witness it first hand. He did send pictures and I have the carb. It was a mess when he started. I know it sounds a little crazy. It did to me but it works. It is hard to find but I think pretty easy to find online.