General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Parts from 69 on a 65?

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Parts from 69 on a 65?

Ok so my dads friend has a 69
Cutlass at the shop she owns and knows I have a 65 and said if I need any parts come pull them off and they're mine..what parts will swap over from 69 to a 65? I'm hoping disc brakes and maybe the rear end..but I really don't know what's interchangeable between the two years..any help would be great
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Land Yacht Captain

As far as I know the brakes are all interchangable for A body cars. Other than that I think you are looking at engine and driveline parts only.
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM

I might just make a deal with her and part it out from her shop, I'll update when I see it.
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Would the differential swap over? Or maybe the whole rear end drum to drum?
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I believe it would swap, in that one could be bolted to the other, but the track is slightly narrower on the earlier car (by about an inch if I recall).

Also, some rear are longer, in terms of where the yoke connects, and how long the driveshaft needs to be, than others are. I don't know the details, but you can see it if you've got a few side by side. Some of our experts might be able to help further on this one.

- Eric
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

The front brakes/spindles swap. The rear end swaps but as noted it's about 1.5" wider. Also, you'll need to use the rear springs that match the spring pockets on the axle. The early cars used a constant diameter at the lower end of the spring that bolted to a flat plate on the axle. The newer cars used a spring with a reduced coil diameter at the lower end that fits over a seat on the axle.

Of course most 350 engine parts fit a 330, and the TH350 can be used to replace the Junkaway trans in the 65.
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Well it's a 4 door, stripped a decent amount..but the first part I literally tripped over was a #5 head..then found the other a transmission, whole engine with brackets and accessories, I'll be taking pictures and if anybody needs anything msg me and I'll see what I can do
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM

Just a heads up, the trunk or deck lid on 1968-72 Cutlass 4 door cars is the same one used on the 2 door convertible of that year. If that's in good shape I'm sure you can find someone who wants it

John