General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

oversize fee ?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2015, 10:24 AM

oversize fee ?!?!?!?!?

I was looking around on the web for a replacement rear bumper for my '71. I went to OPGI. Now I know that OPGI is overpriced on many things, but I just wanted to take a look. The price was actually very reasonable ($350), and then the fees started.

They wanted $56 for shipping and $33 for something else and I quote...

"SHIP NOTE: This item is DOUBLE OVERSIZED and requires an additional freight charge."

We all know that part suppliers have always gouged car owners somewhat, but this is just a tad ridiculous.
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:51 AM

They charged for oversize on my package tray. It may be 6 feet long, 18 inch wide, and 1/2 inch thick! It might weigh ?3 -4 pounds?...Crazy
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:55 AM
72 Olds CS

Yeah it's a ship company thing if something is big they charge a dimensional fee no matterif it is 3 pounds or 100 pounds.

If you buy from opgi they will have 20% off or free shipping or similar promotions nearly every month! sign up for their email to get the discount.
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:01 AM

Drive down to Charlotte NC and give me 150 for the like new used one I just took off my 71. I bought the overpriced shipped 442 bumper from OPG
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Tamraz on ebay has the same bumpers that OPGI offers for a lower price.
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:07 AM

OPGI only offers shipping discounts IF you spend $300 or more dollars, but it usually dosent apply to oversize parts. And it seems if they offer a parts discount, it never applies to the parts i need... hmmmmm
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM

If you call and talk to them sometimes they will give you a break.
They have done that more me twice.
I have spent lots of money with them on my current project and they looked up my account both times I asked and helped me out some.
They also will price match other websites.
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"Oversize" fees generally apply to items with more than 84" total added dimensions, and there is another oversize level at something like 120".

Shippers charge extra to ship big things, whether they're heavy or not.

OPGI may or may not be the best supplier, but in this case, all they are doing is passing along the freight charges that they have to pay to get the part to you.

- Eric
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
OPGI may or may not be the best supplier, but in this case, all they are doing is passing along the freight charges that they have to pay to get the part to you.

- Eric
The issue for me is not the fact that they are passing on this fee, it's the way they present it. "Here's the shipping cost, oh and here's the ADDITIONAL shipping cost". They know what the cost is, just give me one number and be done with it. I don't care if they add a footnote that says "this number includes the oversize shipping charge", but why the games.

And don't get me started on the airlines...
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I like the sales advertisement that OPGI has. "Up to 25% off" but I am yet to find the item that's more than 5%off.
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I like the sales advertisement that OPGI has. "Up to 25% off" but I am yet to find the item that's more than 5%off.
"Up to 25% off" includes 0% off. Anytime you see an ad with "up to", the BS alarm should be going off.
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The issue for me is not the fact that they are passing on this fee, it's the way they present it. "Here's the shipping cost, oh and here's the ADDITIONAL shipping cost". They know what the cost is, just give me one number and be done with it. I don't care if they add a footnote that says "this number includes the oversize shipping charge", but why the games.

And don't get me started on the airlines...

That is my main complaint. Sorry if I was not clear before. We all know that there will be shipping charges, that's not the point. The point is what they term as "additional" charges. Just tell me how much it costs, and how much to ship.
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
OPGI only offers shipping discounts IF you spend $300 or more dollars, but it usually dosent apply to oversize parts. And it seems if they offer a parts discount, it never applies to the parts i need... hmmmmm

They offer free shipping if you spend $499 or more. However, if you are spending that much you most likely are in their "oversize freight" category, which does not qualify.