General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Outside Air Induction

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:38 AM

Outside Air Induction

Im sure you all know about those really nice Ram Air, Air Cleaners. Im not sure what package they came with but I believe it was on the 442 and W-31. Its the set up with the foam seal and the little regulator that opens and closes the plastic flap. I really want one but they go for about $500 . Im thinking about makeing one. I need to know what that little regulator is. Attached is a picture but Im sure you know what Im talking about.
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...:0&tx=64&ty=15
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Dont forget the Rallye 350 of the 1970 model year!

It's just a vaccum pod, when you have awesome idle, it closes that flap shut, when you bury the gas you approach towards zero vacuum, hence the little plunger in there opens the flap for.... MORE POWER!!!!

And yes, i want one too, but they are Hella expensive.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure you can drill a couple holes in the base of your regular 4bbl air cleaner and slap on that plastic piece on top. So you dont need to buy the whole thing.
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:13 AM
wait.... what....

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure you can drill a couple holes in the base of your regular 4bbl air cleaner and slap on that plastic piece on top. So you dont need to buy the whole thing.
That's all i did with mine (drill holes). It is technically not correct as the horns are different, but i don't care about that. Here is a pic of an original base
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldzzy
That's all i did with mine (drill holes). It is technically not correct as the horns are different, but i don't care about that. Here is a pic of an original base
Wow Thanks. You Wouldnt happen to have any more picture and a little more explanation on how you did it and how this one specifically works would you?
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM

That little regulator is called a vacuum motor.
I actually just had a couple spare, used vacuum motors replated. Let me know if you're interested in one of them.

Other than the holes drilled in the bottom of the metal breather base (holes were originally stamped at the factory), and the slightly different size horn, they are the same and work the same. There is an inner metal lid that covers and holds the filter down. It's smaller than a regular breather cover/lid as it just covers the filter. The main difference in an OAI breather is in the plastic top plate with the foam seal and vacuum motor on it.