General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Out of state sales help please !!

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2014, 06:17 PM

Out of state sales help please !!

You folks were so kind to assist me with the Olds Toronado a month or so back that I am wondering if I can beg assistance again ? Had only a few inquiries about the car and most were just curious !! Then today I got an email from a man in Michigan !! Keep in mind that we are in NE Texas. He made an offer quite a bit lower than the $5500. asking price and we have been back and forth all day. I know all the scammer tricks and this guy seems to be OK,,,so far !! Question is how do you folks handle a sale where the person is not going to come and inspect the car and how do you request payment ?? I am not going to do the money order or cashiers check thing for all the obvious reasons !! Bank to bank wire transfer or what ?? We have not agreed to a reasonable price as yet,, just thought I would ask ahead of time. I did google the person and seems OK !!
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by mart
You folks were so kind to assist me with the Olds Toronado a month or so back that I am wondering if I can beg assistance again ? Had only a few inquiries about the car and most were just curious !! Then today I got an email from a man in Michigan !! Keep in mind that we are in NE Texas. He made an offer quite a bit lower than the $5500. asking price and we have been back and forth all day. I know all the scammer tricks and this guy seems to be OK,,,so far !! Question is how do you folks handle a sale where the person is not going to come and inspect the car and how do you request payment ?? I am not going to do the money order or cashiers check thing for all the obvious reasons !! Bank to bank wire transfer or what ?? We have not agreed to a reasonable price as yet,, just thought I would ask ahead of time. I did google the person and seems OK !!

Buying or selling I use wire transfer if a cash transaction is not feasible. If your bank is nearby, verify in person that the funds were deposited and available to you before you let the car out of your sight. JMO...
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Randy C.

I did one about 9 months ago where I advertised a car in Hemmings and I got one email offer for $42.5K, which was real close to the asking price. At first, I thought it was a scammer and I didn't even reply. But then he called a few days later and sounded very sincere. We settled on the $42.5K price but here's how it worked. He did an overnight mailing of a bank check for the full price. When I got it, I deposited it. The bank where I deposited it checked to make sure the account where the check was written from had enough money to cover it, and it did at that time. But the deal was that we would wait until the checked cleared, of which the buyer had no problem with that. The check did clear, and then I worked with the buyer as he wanted a transport service to pick up the car in WA and take it to AZ. I worked with the buyer and the transport company and the deal was successfully completed.

There was no way I would let the car go until I knew the check had cleared. But everything went "by the numbers" and everyone was pleased with the outcome.

Randy C.
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Set up an account just for these type of transactions. Have him do a bank transfer and when the funds clear, transfer them out of the account. Have him arrange his own transportation after the funds clear. Mail him the title when the car is picked up.
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks folks !! I am sure the attorney has some sort of an escrow account for things like this !! Don`t worry,,it isn`t leaving till all is completed and the lady has her money,,if we can get together on price !! Thanks for your help !!
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:52 AM

When I purchased a car out-of-state, the seller wanted a wire transfer, which I provided. He got his money and I got his car. Was I concerned over paying in full in advance? You bet I was! It is a matter of trusting the person with whom you are dealing.
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Yes I know but to trust someone you have no clue about is a bit difficult !! I mean if it were something small it would be no big deal !! But I know this lady needs her money and should something not turn out well,,I would feel terrible !! I think I will ask for a bank name to check since its a long way from Texas to Michigan !! At least the attorney can call the bank and see if he is OK !! I assume they can do that !!
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:33 AM

Last car I sold went to Canada, guy fedexed a bank check, it cleared, he had the car picked up..I put the title in the glove box.
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:19 AM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
When I purchased a car out-of-state, the seller wanted a wire transfer, which I provided. He got his money and I got his car. Was I concerned over paying in full in advance? You bet I was! It is a matter of trusting the person with whom you are dealing.

You can do this if you trust the person you're dealing with but I prefer to inspect the car, and the paperwork first, then go to his bank and execute the transfer. It usually takes 15 minutes but certainly less than 1 hour. Some folks buy cars sight unseen but I'm not comfortable doing that! Every situation is different.
Old March 1st, 2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks again folks,, gives me some ideas if this guy is serious !! He sent several emails but haven`t heard back when I offered to split the difference with him !! I don`t think the $5500. was unreasonable but he said he made the lower offer because he would have to have it moved by a hauler !! OK I get that but why not just buy closer to home !! This is an older lady and his location should not come out of her purse !! Considering the condition of the car and all it needs are those plastic filler panels I think its more than a fair price !! What do you think ??
Old March 1st, 2014, 06:46 PM

My car came from Texas to Mo and it cost about 800.00. I did a wire transfer before getting the car released to the transport company. It will be to your advantage to know the cost of shipping when negotiating price. Good luck and verify money is in hand before releasing car. Any reasonable person will be patient /understanding on this issue. PS if he wants the car shipping distance is his problem. I agree, the cost should not come out of the value of the car. See Kelly BlueBook under classic car section for value of her car.

Last edited by Gary M; March 1st, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:39 AM

I will sure keep the hauling fees in mind !! If he had just asked for $500. off to offset his cost I wouldn`t have thought twice about it, or asked to split the cost,,those would be fair !! But to say "because I live in another state and want the car, an 80+year old lady should pay for the hauling just didn`t sit too well with me !!
I have honestly found KBB to be grossly inaccurate for classic cars of any kind !! Maybe I don`t know where to look !!
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:11 AM
Administrator

I think you should stick to your guns. It's a nice car and the buyer is trying to get everything he can. I hate when people look for things knowing they are out of their budget range and location. Tell him no, if he wants the car then he will figure out how to make it work.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:22 AM

X2

Buyer always pays shipping unless free shipping is advertised from start. He will come around or some one else will buy it IMO. If he does not come look at the car you should make it clear and on paper (if not already) that the sale is AS-IS.

Last edited by Gary M; March 2nd, 2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:59 AM

I agree !! And yes it will surely be an as-is sale !! I think he was not as serious as he pretended to be since I haven`t heard back !!
I am just going to catch a pretty day,,make new (out of the garage) pics and try it again !! Its too nice a car to just sit there,,someone needs to be driving it !! Again,, thanks for all your advice !! Its been a great help !!
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM

It's a car ain't it?
go get it and DRIVE it home.
Good grief.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:45 PM

Don`t think that idea ever crossed his mind !!
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lonestar
You can do this if you trust the person you're dealing with but I prefer to inspect the car, and the paperwork first, then go to his bank and execute the transfer. It usually takes 15 minutes but certainly less than 1 hour. Some folks buy cars sight unseen but I'm not comfortable doing that! Every situation is different.
Kind of hard to go to "his bank" in NY state, as I was/am in WI.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
NôôB

So when i bought my Rallye 350, this is how it happened.

I talked on the phone with the people, I lined up saying i was going to buy it sight unseen, but had someone who lived close go to inspect and test drive, etc.

After inspection was good, i wired the money straight to their account, reason for this was so they got their money RIGHT away and didnt want to risk the bank check scam. The owners then overnighted me the title signed and 2 bill of sales ( 1 for the actual price and the other with a lower price for title swap fees.)

I then worked with a shipping company and paid all shipping costs and only involved the now previous owners was to make sure they were there for pick up.

No issues besides waiting on the delivery guy. And dont budge on the price if he wants it less for shipping, that is stupid and kinda crappy that people do that because what does that have to do with the price of the car...

Hope this helps and this is my experience on buying out of state. OH and make sure she keeps the plate so he doesnt drive with them on.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Kind of hard to go to "his bank" in NY state, as I was/am in WI.

Yup, I didn't catch in your first post you made an out of state purchase sight unseen. Hey, what ever works for you As I said, I inspect 'em first... if that means driving, flying, whatever. Your experience may vary