General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The one that got away

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM

The one that got away

We have all heard the stories about the car that got sold because of _______ (fill in the blank) I got married, I went to college, I moved, I had a kid, I got sick, I'm broke, I got divorced, etc. etc., my parents made me sell it.

So I am at that crossroad with my 1954 and my 1955. I got sick so now I'm broke, my wife hates 'em and wants 'em gone. I have had both cars 1-1/2 yrs and have done nothing but remove the trash they came with. I had to build two engines this year for my G-body cars so my budget really is shot. I don't really want to let go of any of my cars. SO..

So the question is ? Has any one kept the car that would have got away and turned it into a success story? I am close to placing an ad somewhere. I will regret it I know. But w/o the money I don't see the project going anywhere. Help, some one, any Ideas ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
241.jpg (101.2 KB, 31 views)
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Maybe you should sell one and hang on to the other one for a while and see how things go. I don't see a picture of the 54 but that 55 is going to take LOTS of money due to the amount of rust it has. Some people will probably consider it a parts car due to the rust. I don't think there is any way I would try and do two cars at the same time. Without money, the cars will go nowhere but down.
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:48 PM

I'm pretty lucky. I looked for the "right" car for almost 20 years. I passed on a lot of them. I almost bought a 70 Cutlass Indy Pace Car for $7k in 1997 but it wasn't what I really wanted. Once I found the one I have I kept it and spent 7 years restoring it. This is the EXACT car I always wanted right down to the Scarlet color and 4 speed.

I grew up in North Stonington. Where in SE CT are you?
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:17 PM

The right one

Mike , I am in Lisbon, Ct. just north of Norwich. I grew up in Montville.

For a "Northern car" this car would be considered only slightly rusted for its age. The previous owner had it in a tent for 25 yrs. The poor old guy passed away this summer.

Most of my cars are G-bodies , I really wanted an older project so when the 55 became available I was to eager and of course paid too much.
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by science guy
Mike , I am in Lisbon, Ct. just north of Norwich. I grew up in Montville.

For a "Northern car" this car would be considered only slightly rusted for its age. The previous owner had it in a tent for 25 yrs. The poor old guy passed away this summer.

Most of my cars are G-bodies , I really wanted an older project so when the 55 became available I was to eager and of course paid too much.
Sir, I was in a similar situation ($ Wise). I was in a wreck with my 83 Hurst. I took the mess that was left and rented a small storage garage (80 or so a month, Hell! my cell phone bill is more than that). I saved up and the car looks like a black mirror now. Took some time , a lot of waiting and obviously money. Along the way I had a few GFs "advise" me to sell the car and rid myself of the small monthly payment for the storage but I wouldn't budge. Every day I walk out side, smile, turn the key and hear the flowmasters roar and I'm happy I took the road less traveled, just my two cents.

All the best,
Adam
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM

I gotta' say

I have to say , when I first brought the 1954 Olds home, I would pull into my driveway and see that frown-like grille it would always make me smile. I am a pretty serious redneck type so I don't smile much (except when I drive a big block car)