General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile trunk trim

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Oldsmobile trunk trim

What do y'all think of this? I really like it but I kind of don't want to spend $400 on one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm in need of this molding. Mine is dinged, pitted, is missing studs on the back. For those of you who do not know, it is the "Oldsmobile" trim strip that goes on the trunk lid on '68 442s & Cutlasses.

I guess if anyone has a nice one, please let me know.
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:16 PM

these are long ben discontinued. to find one worth restoring is hard to do. when you find one it will cost you big to restore it. it does look high but when you think of the time and effort you have in one it may not be that bad. you can get them cheeper if you only want one for a driver because you can live with a little scratch.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM

I have a 70 Cutlass so not sure what this piece normally goes for, but any potmetal is hard to find in good condition. And get ready for sticker shock to have one re-chromed. Probably to buy one decent and get it rechromed would be in that neighborhood. They have to copper plate, then solder the pits and copper plate again then nickel, chrome, etc. Potmetal is expensive to replate correctly. I am (reluctantly) having my lower 70 Supreme trim pieces rechromed. The 4 potmetal pieces (2 are 10 inches long by 2.5 " wide and the others are 18 inches by 2.5" wide) will cost me around $700 which I think is fair considering the intricate work that needs to be done to remove pits. Still more than I want to pay, but I want them to look nice with my re-painted car.
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Registered

That is nice, like a piece of fine jewelry. If you can ever find another nice restored one like that is the big thing. I'd be gritting my teeth and swearing but common sense says to go for it. It may be a deal going by those resto costs plus you can see what you're getting, who knows what you'll end up if you take a beat up piece in to be restored, no hidden drama potential is always good.
Always buy the best you can and you never lose in the long run, plus you only live once anyway.
Twice if you're Bond...James Bond.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Registered Luser

Tom......what's another $400 among friends......your car deserves it! When is that car coming! I can't wait to see it!
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Oldsdruid

If you need it, you won't find one any cheaper, and you won't get a good core rechromed for that either.

I don't have a problem with spending 4 bills for it as much as with who I'd be giving the money to. Everything that f-er has is "HURST OLDS, W30, 442!" and he doesn't mind asking your first-born for it.

He had an NOS 73-77 Cutlass ashtray a few years back and wanted a hundred for it, which stunned me, even for him. Natcherly advertised as "442 Hurst Olds! NOS is best!". I played dumb and quizzed him if it would work in a regular Cutlass, and the answer was "yes, but we feel an NOS part of this quality should be on one of the more valuable cars".

Told him it wouldn't go on my pedigreed Pace Car for that price.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I would say if you can afford it, buy it...you will only regret passing on it...
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Smile

2 springs ago I saw an NOS one for $600.00 at the IVOC spring dust off swap meet in the western suburbs of Chicago.
If it is as nice as the add says, the price isn't too far out of line from that.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM

That piece has been on ebay off and on now for about 6 months. I am surprised that there has not been a taker with deep pockets that hasn't snatched it up. I guess it must be priced to high for even the most well heeled Olds owner, if only I had an extra 400 skins lying around.
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Captain of my ship

If it's been on and off ebay then maybe he would like to get rid of it. Send him an email and offer him 250 , all he could say is no or make a counter offer
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. I kind of had an idea that was what I'd have to pay for one. Problem is, as many of you have said, is that this car has simply bled me dry and I'm really not sure I can swing it, as nice as the piece is. I'll keep my eye on it and hopefully it'll still be around for a month or two.

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Tom......what's another $400 among friends......your car deserves it! When is that car coming! I can't wait to see it!
Oh man. haha. Well, Erik, I'm HOPING it'll be mostly completed when I go back to AZ over Labor Day weekend. And I'm saying "hoping" because the jackass who initially was working on it lost the driver side fender trim piece. I have an extra one in my storage unit, but no one in my family seems to be able to search and find it. So, it has to wait until I get in town to find it. This is basically what I've been dealing with over the last 6 months.

All I've learned is, if you are restoring a car and don't live in that city, make sure ONE person or shop gets the complete car, make sure this person or shop is ORGANIZED, and then let them work their magic. Otherwise, it's a logistical nightmare and impossible to either stay on the person or keep track of what they're doing with your car or parts.

I hope I will be able to post some pics once I get back of a completed, driveable vehicle.
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM

I may have one. I`ll give a look on my hardtop trunk lids. Get ahold of me if your interested.
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM

Ah, fantastic. It looks like my posting this contributed to its sale because, conincidentally, the listing was ended on eBay. Good stuff.