General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile Club on America

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Oldsmobile Club on America

Why should Olds owners join OCA? What services or benefits do I get for my membership dues?
Old January 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Resident Eskie

The benefits are
  • You get to write them a $30-$40 check every year
  • You must join the National Club if you want to join the local club
  • You receive a monthly publication to remind you to send you check
  • You are encouraged to give money to other organizations
  • You are put on a list to give to other organizations
  • Your address is given to others that want money
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

On the plus side........

The ONLY mag that has ALL OLDSMOBILEs in it EVERY ISSUE.........
I have my calendar advertised in it and it has garnered me 10s of sales.........
Did I mention all Oldsmobiles?
Yep Iam a memeber..........
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Member as well and president of local chapter. Brings us together on the local and national level to preserve all things Oldsmobile.
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by snowballs442
Your first three were true, but the first and third are true for any organization. The three above are not true.
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by tecar442
Why should Olds owners join OCA? What services or benefits do I get for my membership dues?
You get the monthly magazine, which is geared specifically to Olds and which contains Olds-only classified ads in the back.

Membership in the local chapter is a great way to meet fellow Olds owners.

If you want to register your Olds at any national OCA meet, you must be an OCA member.

You support the preservation of Oldsmobile.
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:38 PM

X 2 I'm a member and enjoy the mag
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM

I'm a member, it's great, for 30 bucks. I have wasted 30 bucks, on things not this good. 30 bucks at a Giants game, will only buy you about 3 beers.
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Oca

I have been involved with Olds' since I could drive, but only joined OCA in the spring of '99. While I am not like Will Rogers and HAVE met people that I didn't like, I do seek and enjoy the good nature of the people I am surrounded by and am not pessimistic. That said, I have found that most of the folks that I have met both in my local Olds chapter as well as the National club are very good people and the awesome cars they display often serve as a conduit for friendships that are much deeper than the cars we drive. I see many names on this website that I know personally because of my involvement in OCA, and I actually have a face to put with the name because of that. I have friends all over the United States and South America, Canada and Australia because of the national club. If you join the club, but choose not to participate, then perhaps all you may see aside from a monthly JWO is annual dues. Naturally with any club there is some bureaucracy, but you don't have to deal with it unless you choose to. I personally enjoy OCA, and if time and money permitted I would like to go every year to Nationals. While I don't, I have thoroughly enjoyed every one that I have been able to attend. If you join and find that it is not to your liking......drop the membership!!! It's not the Hell's Angels
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Randy C.

I enjoy the Journey With Olds monthly magazine (some clubs only have quarterly magazines) - it's put together quite well, with lots of color, good articles, and classified ads. And, you can also advertise for free in JWO as well, and I've done that a few times. That's nice given that JWO is at least receives national distribution along with Canada, and I'm confident there is other international distribution. You do have to belong to OCA to participate in the Olds Nationals but you don't have to belong to the local OCA chapter if you chose not to. I find that particular option as advantageous; with owning an Olds, a Pontiac and a Chevy, you can really rack up the dues if you belong to the national club and the local chapter for each car. The local chapters will still let you participate in their shows (at a slightly higher entrance fee, as I recall) if you desire, which is nice. It's a worthy $30 expenditure each year.

Randy C.
Old January 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by snowballs442
The benefits are
  • You receive a monthly publication to remind you to send you check
My address has not been given to anyone by the OCA.
I was not put on a list to give to any other organizations.
I am not encouraged by the OCA to give money to other organizations.
The monthly publication does not remind me to send them a check (it does however conveniently have my expiration date on the mailing label so I don't forget when to renew. I happen to appreciate that).

The posters above me have touched on many of the benefits (and they speak true).
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM

I would agree with all the positives that have been mentioned so far. Being in Canada, I do not have any local chapter to participate in (does anyone know what the closest to Ottawa Ontario might be?), but I have attended the Nationals the last 3 years since they were close enough to drive to. The magazine is great. Lots of good monthly articles by regular contributors (including by a member on here) and other articles and advice.

I have had the opportunity to meet several members from the forum at the Nationals.

I think it is a good deal for the price, and the price is higher up here.
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM

I have been a member of OCA for more than 34 years. The club as gotten more and more responsive to members' wishes and interests. I have found no negatives to membership, and many positives. I have also met a lot of great folks through the national club and local chapters and zones. The club also gives us a great resource for restoration by discussing topics with others having similar cars, and seeing the cars at the shows.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM

I like the mag. The articles are short and therefore great for bathroom reading
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
I like the mag. The articles are short and therefore great for bathroom reading
LOL I switch up from PlayBoy,Maxxim and my trusty JWO!
Old January 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Feb 67 Cars had my favorite centerfold of all time, the original Rund car. Its what got me interested in the 66 W30. Also, the car looks as good 44 years later. What other centerfold subject can say that? lol.
Old January 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM

OCA Membership?..Worth every penny!
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Crazy Canuck

Love it and well worth my $42. Only been to one Nationals but when they come east again I will make the trek. Being Canadian I have never seen 400 Oldsmobile in one lot at once. And with 400 cars came 400 great people willing to talk.

Wayne

Last edited by oldsca; January 10th, 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM

For the Canadian guy that asked what was close to him ,there is a Canadian club in Ontario.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:06 AM

442Harv, I know about the Olds Club of Canada, but they do not have any activities outside of southern Ontario that I know of. I was wondering if there might have been a OCA chapter that might have been closer, maybe in NY state.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
LOL I switch up from PlayBoy,Maxxim and my trusty JWO!

BIGJERR,

Nice to know you have a 2 track mind.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by car_designer
I was wondering if there might have been a OCA chapter that might have been closer, maybe in NY state.
There are several chapters in New York as well as in New England. The full list is here:

http://www.oldsclub.org/chapters.htm
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM

442Harv, I know about the Olds Club of Canada, but they do not have any activities outside of southern Ontario that I know of. I was wondering if there might have been a OCA chapter that might have been closer, maybe in NY state.
Looks like the closest chapter to you is the Motor City Rockets. We hold all of our cold weather meetings in Farmington Hills Michigan, just northwest of Detroit (Mapquest says it's 5 hours and 34 minutes away from you). Our warm weather meetings are at shows (such as the August meeting at the Woodward Dream Cruise, or our June meeting at the Oldsmobile Homecoming). We have members in Traverse City Michigan (a little over 4 hours away) who regularly attend our meetings, and we have a couple of Canadian members (they're a little closer than you, they are from the Windsor area). If you are interested, you can visit www.motorcityrockets.com .
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM

I have been a member for quite some time and look forward to reading the magazine. I probably should send info. on my car to them because I'm sure everyone would appreciate seeing and hearing about it. The articles alone are worth the yearly dues, as are the Oldsmobile-only classifieds. Thirty bucks is coffee money. Owning Oldsmobiles isn't for everyone and being a member of the OCA to me, reinforces the devotion it takes to own one (or three).
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Late 70's, early 80's I was a member. Worked the Nats in Itasca, Ill 1983 IIRC. Had a great time. Reupped this last year, not surprised to see names mentioned that were around 30 yrs ago. Glad I came back, deffinitely worth it.
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:04 PM

starfire, thanks for the info, but I am at the other end of Ontario, in Ottawa. It is a 10 hour drive from Ottawa to the Michigan border. I know this from going to the 2008 OCA Nats in Dearborn.

jaunty75, I will have to check out Google Maps to see how close those chapters are.

Last edited by car_designer; January 12th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM

I will have to check out Google Maps to see how close those chapters are.
I'm going to guess that, unfortunately, the closest chapters are still hours away from you. There's a Schenectady, New York-based chapter as well as two in Massachusetts, but neither of those is a hop, skip, and a jump from anywhere in Ontario. You might attend the yearly chapter car shows, but probably not the monthly meetings.
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:36 AM
...should get a life....

OK so how do I subscribe? Obviously not too much Oldsmobile action in Australia, but there are enough advocates in this thread who's opinions I respect to suggest that it's not a bad idea.
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
OK so how do I subscribe?
It's all right on the OCA website.

http://www.oldsclub.org/OCA_Applications.htm

Membership costs more for overseas memberships. I'm guessing it's due to the increased postage cost.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Great question, Tecar442! Outstanding answers from everybody! Juju and I have been Members since 1994, and it just keeps getting better! We literally have friends from all over the US, Canada, and Australia, and the list continues to grow every year. A lot of us made a sincere effort at the 2010 Nationals in Sturbridge, MA, to meet and put a face to someone we interact with on this site all the time. And it worked, well! Just great people. The Journey With Olds has gone from a black/white publication in 2004 (which was great for the times) to four color now with outstanding articles on our Oldsmobile's, along with pictures of them. The quality mag alone is worth the $30 bucks! Join up and get involved locally, and nationally. It's a hoot!

Last edited by Aron Nance; January 13th, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM

starfire, thanks for the info, but I am at the other end of Ontario, in Ottawa. It is a 10 hour drive from Ottawa to the Michigan border. I know this from going to the 2008 OCA Nats in Dearborn.

jaunty75, I will have to check out Google Maps to see how close those chapters are.
Sorry, my fault, I looked at the wrong post and thought you were in Barrie. Yeah, 10 hours is a bit of a hike...
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by jaunty75

Membership costs more for overseas memberships. I'm guessing it's due to the increased postage cost.
I just re-joined. I was a member long ago, I don't have a good reason for letting it go, life I guess.
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by jaunty75

Thanks, I just joined up. It's $60 for us "out-of-towners" which is OK.
So.....when does the OCA fly me over to check out a couple of shows?