General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

oldsmobile 403 engine help.

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2023, 08:14 AM

oldsmobile 403 engine help.

Hello this is the fist time posting here, I have read a lot of threads on here and always find great info. I am working on a 403 that was in my 1972 cutlass when I bought the car. when I took the engine apart I found this screen on the bottom end and have never seen anything like this before and was wondering if anyone has any info on what this is for and why its there. thanks
Old June 3rd, 2023, 08:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's intended to be a windage tray/scraper to reduce the mass of oil clinging to the rotating crank. The intent is to both reduce the rotating mass and to keep more oil in the pan. I'm not sure how effective it really is. It appears to be a low-rent version of something more like this.

Old June 3rd, 2023, 09:19 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It looks homemade to me.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 03:38 PM

It’s not a crank scraper,, it’s a homemade windage screen. Meant to prevent windage within the crankcase…that style won’t reduce rotating mass at all because it doesn’t do anything to help pull oil off the rotating assembly.

looks like someone was reading the interwebs and decided to make their own.

it won’t hurt anything…but I wonder why they would put a cheap timing gear/chain in it while going through the trouble of making a windage screen and brazing the pinch point of the pickup ?

brazing the pickup to the pump body is a good idea,but brazing the pickup pinch? No
Old June 3rd, 2023, 07:22 PM

thanks everyone I kinda thought thats what it was but such a different design it kinda thru me off a little bit. there was also an extra piece of metal welded to the inside of the oil pan i am guessing to use as a scraper. not sure if I am going to rebuild this engine or not yet but wanted to know what this was about. thanks again for the info .