General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds P & A

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Olds P & A

I have noticed the use of original GM part numbers on various boards.
So, has someone put up an old Olds P & A book, or are that many old
print copies running around.

Curious,
Owen Miller
Old January 24th, 2021, 07:26 PM

There are several different versions of originals available. Don't bother with reprints, they are often hard to read. And not all parts and accessories are listed in each book, which can be frustrating. I have three versions for the years 64-72. Each is slightly different, and only one, Canadian BTW, has the numerical Group Numbers and sub-assembly Part Numbers listed in the back.
Old January 24th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Oldsdruid

They're reasonably common. I myself have 62 and 64 Body Parts and 65, 74 and 76 Chassis Parts books, which cover all my cars pretty well. If I can assist someone with them, happy to do it.

Though I did have one guy on another forum who refused to believe the info in the factory parts books, instead preferring to believe what Google said the part number was. Lot of difference in a brake power booster (parts book) and an unspecified switch (internet). And that's all the internet said, was "switch".

"Some men, you just can't reach"
Old January 25th, 2021, 04:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

GM Parts Wiki has a large number of GM parts and illustrations books available on line. The problem is that there is no good way to navigate through them, so it can be laborious to use.

The one thing to be aware of with the parts books is that they are NOT a documentation of how the car was built on the assembly line. The parts books are only a listing of parts that were available at the time of the printing of that edition of the book. If parts were superseded, the new P/N is what shows up in the book, not the original one. The classic example of that is the 1970 Cutlass front fenders. The "flat" fenders used on the 1970 cars were superseded by the "dimpled" ones released for the 1971 model year that incorporate the crumple zone. The P/N shown for the 1970 cars is that of the 71-72 part. That doesn't make it "correct" and frankly, the factory didn't care about maintaining documentation for car show judging half a century in the future. The most accurate parts book will be the one with a printing date as close as possible to the manufacturing date of the car you care about. The reality is that the PIM drawings will always be the most accurate documentation for how the car was assembled at the factory.
Old January 25th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Phantom Phixer

There are a number of Oldsmobile parts books available for FREE download .
Right here on Classicoldsmobile.com . In the tech section .
These are in PDF form and are easily searchable .
The downloads are very large , so it is best to download them to a PC .
These books cover ;
1964 thru 1975 1975 issue
1949 thru 1963 1963 issue
1936 thru 1954 1954 issue

Tech Editor's Desk - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 25th, 2021 at 09:16 AM.