General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds Guy Trys Out A 49 Ford

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Olds Guy Trys Out A 49 Ford

Had to share this. A couple days back a neighbour pulled up in a 49 Ford Club Coupe. You know, the one with the little back seat and small roof. Just finished rebuilding the flathead. Oh, but it was a sweet ride. Took me for a jaunt, and it was to smile for.
Here's a picture of my Dad's 50 around 1960, for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ford_1950_Sisde_View.jpg (118.6 KB, 50 views)
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had a 49 Ford Club Coupe in an estate I have been settling. It was a really nice little car with a sweet flathead and overdive. It was really fun to drive and I wanted to keep it but I have no extra garage space. It is now in Long Island, NY. Those little shoebox Fords are nice and there are not many left with flatheads. Your Dad was pretty cool for 1960. Shaved and louvered hood, Mercury grill and 54 Chevy wheel covers. I bet it had a set of Smitty's on it too. It is great you still have the picture.
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:06 PM

Olds Engines & Phil Weiand

I linked this thread to my dad, and this is what he sent me back.

"The picture was taken in 1958 outside the house on Collingwood St. I got thinking about the Smitty’s and I am sure that I probably did have them on. That’s what everyone used and there wasn’t much else except stock. On the way back from Mexico, where I took the car in early 1958 to get the new rolled and pleated upholstery, I met Phil Weiand at his shop in California. Phil was in a wheel chair as he could not use his legs. As I remember, he lost the use of them in a bad accident drag racing with a T bucket. I spent a couple of days with Phil. He wanted to put a full race 55 Olds engine and tranny in my car for $500. Unfortunately I didn’t have the time and in those days that was a lot of money. I bought and installed aluminum HC heads, a tri-carb manifold and carbs and an electric fuel pump instead. Attached is a picture of Phil’s favorite driver. I was in it a couple of times and it was a blast. It had a 56 full race Olds with auto but unless you listened very carefully you couldn’t tell. While I was there he had not shaven for a couple of days and in this car he looked like a hay seed. It seemed that everywhere we went in the car, guys would look, point, laugh and pretend to want to race. They didn’t laugh long when he kept equal to them until they topped out and then waved and walked them. He loved it. It’s lots of fun remembering."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000000520005.jpg (87.5 KB, 30 views)
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Great story. Wouldn't any of us love to have that 34 Ford now.
Old August 9th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Old School Olds

Cool story and pic Dave, nice.
Old August 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM
same but different

X 2, nice story and pics, thanks for sharing.
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:45 AM

Had coffee with the Dad figure again today. He's now wondering if he got mixed up and maybe Phil Weiand's old 34 Ford was powered by a Buick engine. Does anyone out there have enough years behind them to actually remember? Anyone remember the car at all?