General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

ok? quick question about a spudder

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:57 PM

ok? quick question about a spudder

I currently have a 455 with an offenhauser intake, edelbrock 750 carb, msd, with a high volume mechanical fuel pump.(also the carb was rebuild about 9 months ago) It has a slight spudder when you stomp on the gas from and idle. I cant seem to figure it out, not sure if its not gettin enough fuel or whats goin on. Any food for thought would be great thanks.

Also one other thing got a belt squealing at a high rpm any ways to fix this? (tryed replacing the belt, tryed using belt conditioner, and tryed using soap and WD 40) Nothing is workin :| ......trying to avoid buying another pully.
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:33 PM

quick question about a studder

I currently have a 455 with an offenhauser intake, edelbrock 750 carb, msd, with a high volume mechanical fuel pump.(also the carb was rebuild about 9 months ago) It has a slight spudder when you stomp on the gas from and idle. I cant seem to figure it out, not sure if its not gettin enough fuel or whats goin on. Any food for thought would be great thanks.

Also one other thing got a belt squealing at a high rpm any ways to fix this? (tryed replacing the belt, tryed using belt conditioner, and tryed using soap and WD 40) Nothing is workin :| ......trying to avoid buying another pully.
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM

Tighten the belt?

Is this one of them G-bodies with the AC taken of and everything run thru 1 belt?

Carb- sounds like secondary air valve spring tension or/and vacuum break releasing too fast. Or accelerator pump.
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:06 PM

Yea I made sure the belts are tight. No its an A body style,It did have stock AC but disconected it, I do still run two belts tho. One goin around the power steering to the altenator, second goin around the crank, power steering, and water pump this is the one that normaly squeals.
Thanks for the suggestions on the carb ill check them out
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Have you tried adjusting the accelerator pump?

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ech_vids.shtml
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Not yet but deff gonna check it out thanks alot for the link showed me alot!!
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM

If you have HEI ignition, the 1st thing to do is increase your spark plug gap to.060. If that doesn't work you may need to decrease the size of the fuel nozzles in your carb.
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:52 AM

About the pulley. Never use any "stuff" on a belt it will not fix a slipping belt. I am sure you have now polished said pulley's to a high gloss smooth finish. Rough up the pulley's groove with a round file.
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Senior Moment Member

I thought this was about potatoes.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dkraus71cutlass
I'm guessing that by spudder, er, SPUTTER, you mean that there's a hesitation at initial throttle application. Sounds like you need to adjust the accelerator pump and possibly jetting on that one-size-fits-all carb to customize it for your particular application.

What accessories do you have in addition to the alternator? PS? A/C? Stock or aftermarket pulleys and accessories? Do you have the spacers correctly installed on the PS pump bracket? Did you PROPERLY tension the PS belt by loosening all three fasteners on the pump, then tensioning the belt using the factory provision?

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

By the way, belt squealing is due to slippage, so adding lubricant like soap or WD-40 is NEVER a good idea. It probably means that you need a new belt now, in addition to being sure all the lubricant is off the pulleys.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, I merged the two identical threads.