General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OBDI code retrieval Problem 93 OLDS Cutlass Cierra

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:53 AM

OBDI code retrieval Problem 93 OLDS Cutlass Cierra

The car started stumbling, then became hard to start, then would crank, but not start. I used the paper clip trick in A and B to obtain the Codes. When I turned the key on, the Engine Cooling fan started to run, and stayed running and all I got from the codes was the 12's with no other codes. It continued flashing the 12's and fan ran until I turned off key.

Any Ideas would sure help.
Thank you
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:13 AM

Pull a plug wire- check for spark. No Spark=replace Ignition Control module. a bad ICM will not set a code.

Originally Posted by 1CUTLASS
The car started stumbling, then became hard to start, then would crank, but not start. I used the paper clip trick in A and B to obtain the Codes. When I turned the key on, the Engine Cooling fan started to run, and stayed running and all I got from the codes was the 12's with no other codes. It continued flashing the 12's and fan ran until I turned off key.

Any Ideas would sure help.
Thank you
Old March 3rd, 2015, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unless the Check Engine light was on, there are no stored codes to read. Keep in mind that there are MANY possible failures that do not set a code. The codes are only set if a part fails that is tied to the computer. The OBDI computers are very limited in capability due to limited processing power.

Get a factory Chassis Service Manual and follow the troubleshooting steps in it.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:04 AM
morgan

that code 12 is considered '' normal function'' i believe so was the service engine light on?.... i did have a car with a similar condition and it was the crank sensor in my case
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bens71442
Pull a plug wire- check for spark. No Spark=replace Ignition Control module. a bad ICM will not set a code.
Has spark, tested 1 & 3.
Thank you
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unless the Check Engine light was on, there are no stored codes to read. Keep in mind that there are MANY possible failures that do not set a code. The codes are only set if a part fails that is tied to the computer. The OBDI computers are very limited in capability due to limited processing power.

Get a factory Chassis Service Manual and follow the troubleshooting steps in it.

Thank you, L
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
that code 12 is considered '' normal function'' i believe so was the service engine light on?.... i did have a car with a similar condition and it was the crank sensor in my case

No Check Engine Light/Service Light.
Engine turns over and fires, tries to start, then just cranks.

I hear the fuel pump engage when I turn on the key. Held gas pedal to floor on another occasion same thing.

thank you, L
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:53 PM
morgan

My car did not throw a code for the crank sensor...thats what reminded me of your situation i also at the time ruled out spark and fuel although i checked the fuel pressure i hope you narrow it down
Old March 9th, 2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
My car did not throw a code for the crank sensor...thats what reminded me of your situation i also at the time ruled out spark and fuel although i checked the fuel pressure i hope you narrow it down

Thank you for the info. I will investigate into the sensor.