General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OAI hood installed

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Talking OAI hood installed

Well after a long wait I finally have an OAI hood installed. Love the look of the hood and it changes the look of the car from many angles. Wish I could have gone with a Thornton model, but decided to go with a more reasonable choice in the FiberConcepts product. It's not perfect and my body guy had to do a lot of fitting, but overall I am really happy with how it turned out!

Only negative is that the rear lip molding doesn't fit very well and there are some "ripples" in the hood. I'm not sure if those are common or if it is something my shop should have addressed? I'm chalking it up to these not being perfect molds, but you guys know better than I do. Here is the finished product:

Thanks,
Bill
Old July 7th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!
Old July 7th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Looks very nice Bill....congrats!

Leave it to the owner to know all the imperfections
Old July 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Looks beautiful! I love that color too. My very first car was a 71 supreme (not convertible though) that same color with blue cloth interior. I would love to have that car back.
Old July 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Bill,
The car looks amazing with that addition. Sorry to hear you had several issues with the fitment. I probably would have called Robb and asked him to send a new hood or at least explain why there were so many irregularities. Might be an idea to have the body shop tally how many hours they had to spend fixing the hood and see if Fibreconcepts will pick up part of that tab? Just a thought. Truly a phenomenal looking final product though. You're going to turn a lot of heads with that baby!
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Billy

Wow, really nice looking with the Supreme grills! I'd love to put one on my '71 SX one day...gives it a more agressive look, for sure!
Old July 7th, 2013, 11:54 PM

I agree, the OAI hood is one of the best-looking things you can do to your Olds, especially since it's Olds-specific. I'd daresay the best scoop design of the time, from a visual perspective.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, now I just need to get the air cleaner assembly to complete it all. There's probably no better value add to your Oldsmobile...gives me a smile every time I look at it!
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:56 AM

In my opinion and having dealt with a fiberglass hood too I think it came out looking really good, when I purchased my hood I took my friends who was doing my body work and out of three hoods they had we got the best looking one, let me tell you they still need a lot of work just to get them to fit semi perfect, my is not perfect but I'm also happy with it, as for the rear chrome molding that also took some work to get it to fit, lucky I had the molding from my old hood that we used fitting guide, them we installed the new one and I it came out ok...
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by Seff
I agree, the OAI hood is one of the best-looking things you can do to your Olds, especially since it's Olds-specific. I'd daresay the best scoop design of the time, from a visual perspective.
I agree. They look so good, if I had enough money, I would buy one to just hang on my basement wall.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Very good looking car. How did you acquire a '71 SX convertible? They are pretty rare. I NEVER see SX's out here in CA. My first car was a '70 SX.(see avatar) Like so many have lamented on this thread, " I wish I still had it." Back when I sold it, collecting classic muscle was pretty non-existent. I'm still looking though! Post some more pic's of what is UNDER that hood! Gotta love the big blocks. Chumley
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM

Good catch Chumley. The car is dressed up as an SX, not the real deal. I was going to clone it as a 442 but this was much easier and I always liked the story of the SX cars.

Under the hood is a '70 455 w/ performance cam, headers etc built by @Scrappie on these boards. It's a blast to drive...here is a pic!

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

[QUOTE=TenMidgets;565599]Thanks for the positive feedback guys, now I just need to get the air cleaner assembly to complete it all. There's probably no better value add to your Oldsmobile...gives me a smile every time I look at it![/

Love the look.....congrats!
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Bill.. Car looks sick with the new hood.. I hope to see it in person soon
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:38 PM

I also put an oai hood on my 70 442 this year I went with one from the parts place and it was a wreck fiberglass was terrible they wouldn't refund my money unless I paid for return shipping and 20% restocking after a bunch of hrs in the body shop it looks good I would still stay away from I also put an oai hood on my 70 442 this year I went with one from the parts place and it was a wreck fiberglass was terrible they wouldn't refund my money unless I paid for return shipping and 20% restocking after a bunch of hrs in the body shop it looks good I would still stay away from the parts place really rude nasty people there parts place really rude nasty people there
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Under the hood is a '70 455 w/ performance cam, headers etc built by @Scrappie on these boards. It's a blast to drive...here is a pic!
I'm guessing that the unit on the DS inner liner is an auxiliary vacuum unit for your power brakes due to the performance cam in the engine?
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:43 PM
delete

Looks good Bill. Who did the work?
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'm guessing that the unit on the DS inner liner is an auxiliary vacuum unit for your power brakes due to the performance cam in the engine?
I was going to ask the same thing...
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:53 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Your car looks great!
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
That is correct Allan...

Originally Posted by droptopron
Looks good Bill. Who did the work?
Thanks Ron - Quality Auto Restorations a local one man shop here in Huntington Station did the work. His name is also Bill and probably the nicest guy I've ever met in the business with reasonable prices too.