General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

O.A.I ram air tubes

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Idk about all that koda. I think the fresh air is a big plus.
Uh...yeah, me too. That's why I suggested, if you just want ram/cold air for cheap, and dont care how it looks, you just tack a ram scoop onto the hood direct into the carb. Or, run without a hood as the engine compartment will at least have SOME appreciable flow through it at speed. I don't know what the racing rules are on that, or on a home made scoop. Or, using a factory bottom would not be a big deal. Hang on a second, I'll go get a picture for you.
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:32 PM

Ok, on this factory air cleaner, there's the hump there. Not that big of a deal compared to the cross sectional area of the air going through, especially considering how it has to go down into the carb anyway.

Yes, the thing needs repaired and rechromed....I'm on it.
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I actually love the flat hood on my 72 and its a big reason for me doing the air bells through the high beems. everyone goes foe the scoop or w25 hood but i like it flat lol. I gotta get around to rodering my sheet metal and oval pipes. By ordering i mean picking up lol just gotta get off my wallet
Old November 24th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Oh ok, then, you got aesthetic rules to go by. No problem, I don't like holes in the hood either.
Old November 24th, 2015, 07:27 PM

I also must apologize for my horrible grammar more so than normal. I got a new phone and this while touch screen deal sucks., But yes I make these goofy rules to stick to but it makes things intresting.
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Senior Moment Member

You do much with little. That's what it's all about. You're the best at it Copper!
Old January 13th, 2016, 07:03 PM

Guys here is a sneak peek at what i got so far. This is just a rough idea using the templates i made from poster board. Obviously it will all be sheet metal and welded and painted black to match the lid and bottom. What do you guys think ??? any suggestions ??? Please disregard some of the unevenness as my templates are poster board. once i make them out of sheet metal there will be plenty of hours into making sure everything fits like a glove. The templates are for a close., trim to fit type deal. once on steel it should be much easier to make "masters" that i can re use. I plan on making jigs to make it all uniform and consistent.

Old January 13th, 2016, 08:40 PM
72 Olds CS

Old January 13th, 2016, 11:16 PM

Will there be a space between the air inlet and filter. If there is not I would think there would be a air flow restriction. Will the surface area of the filter be large enough to feed your engine based on the hp.
Old January 14th, 2016, 04:32 AM

For the track there will be no filter but. I will be using a 9 x 3 air filter so should be enough space.
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:42 AM

The 1970 442 in my album back in 2001 used a ram air box thru the headlights with outside beams for hi beam and low beam. Was only good for tenth. Used aluminum hoses stove pipe air horns quick release pins at air horns and air box unit.Car is still set up to use it. I also had a ram air w25 hood which i thought about making a duel ram air system that uses the hood and the head light air horns for drag racing and may still do that. I think air off the grill is clean air. Not so sure how clean the air is on a ram air hood. Old timer in drag racing suggested to use thru the head lights.

Last edited by wr1970; January 14th, 2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: oops correction 2001 was first time used ram air box.LOL
Old January 14th, 2016, 05:25 PM

Im doing the high beams because i like the flat hood look . I want my set up to be a fine in between something that looks stock using stock components and a mix of aftermarket stuff that blends together nicely.
Old March 7th, 2016, 06:57 PM

Alright guys i fonally got my $hit together and made some progress. please let me know what you think. So far there is some flaws at the moment i have to deal with and im going to have to re design my templates. The big thing is the factory style OAI tubes wont stretch over my ducts. I had to re shape the fronts of the. So the next one i make im gonna factor that in. I used a socket as a halfassed jig eventually if i venture to making these for money i will have jigs and things to make it easy. It took me about 2.25 hrs to make this set up.