General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Numbers Matching?

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:11 PM
1967 442

Numbers Matching?

My heart somewhat sank yesterday. I received news from the radiator shop that the tank on the pass side is rotted out. I now have to find a good replacement or at least one that the pass side tank is good. The core is good to say the least.

So $$ for a replacement + $$ to swap tanks = $$$$

A new radiator from year one will be $$.

Would I be better off buying new? Does this affect numbers matching?

Any advice? Oh yea original owner 1967 442 w AT
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:22 PM

tough call, I replaced mine years ago and wish i didn't. As an orignal owner I'd try to find a replacement tank. But I wouldn't keep it from you enjoying the car. There are plenty of modern radiators that will look fine and work even better.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:25 PM
morgan

If your car is engine/trans # matching your a survivor and keeping the original radiator as well as other parts is important... I would just try to have the tank replaced.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:50 PM

I would put something in to let you continue driving and in the mean time keep your eyes open for an original. May take years to find the exact right thing. Find out the code and date and post a wanted thread. Is it a 3 core or 4? I know i am nuts enough that i would also keep the bad tank just to have it with the car.
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM
1967 442

Thanks to all for the advice. I am not really enjoying the drive just yet. I am in the middle of the restoration. I was seeing light though.

Push come to shove I will buy a new on and definately keep the old on. A radiator is easy to change. It could also be the very last part to go on. Just MUCH easier to work on with the front end torn down.

Just in panic mode since I thought it was good.
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Administrator

I would find a replacement radiator and save the old one. The rest of the original radiator is probably not to far from the rotted tank.
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jeffsims
Does this affect numbers matching?

Any advice? Oh yea original owner 1967 442 w AT
OK, first, there are no numbers that "match" on a 1967 Olds - VIN derivatives weren't stamped on the block and trans until the 1968 model year. If you have the Protect-O-Plate then you CAN match the engine and trans unit numbers to the VIN.

Second, there is no "matching" number on a radiator. There IS a CORRECT radiator, with a Harrison tag, but there are probably a few ten thousand of those made and there's no proof that the one currently in the car is the one it was born with.

If you car about a completely CORRECT car, then yes, have yours recored and make sure they reinstall the Harrison tag on it. Just be aware that a 1967 Olds was never "numbers matching" from the factory. This term is grossly overused to mean "correct" parts, when in fact it means the original parts the car was born with.