General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Now That Was a Hard Hit

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Now That Was a Hard Hit

Copart Lot # 14947844 - 1980 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS

Last edited by allyolds68; April 27th, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:05 AM

wow
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He shouldn't'a backed into that tractor-trailer.

Could've been rear-ended while parked and out of the car, but if there was anyone in there, I doubt they're around to collect the insurance.

- Eric
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Wow, turned it into a zit.
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:25 AM

During much of the 1980's I held contracts with the State of Texas to purchase all of the DPS salvage patrol cars. Was a mix of Crown Vics, Diplomats and Mustangs and I received many patrol cars crunched up in that fashion and worse. Quite a few were rear ended during roadside traffic stops. Worse one ever was a Diplomat with the rear bumper shoved through to the dash panel.

Henry

DPS = Department of Public Safety
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yup. An excellent illustration of the little-known fact that the most dangerous place that most people will ever be in their lives, is stopped on the side of the Interstate.

When I stop to help someone by the road, I stop about a hundred feet behind them and turn my wheels out. If I lay out flares, I lay them well over a hundred feet apart. You travel about a hundred feet a second at 80mph.

- Eric
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

A good precaution Eric, but sadly it is not something that actually controls other drivers, especially when they're not focused on controlling their vehicle. Probably one reason not many stop to help others. Recently up here a Good Samaritan stopped on the HENDAY bypass to help a lady change a flat tire. He was struck and killed by another motorist. And that's after he parked his car back a bit using it as a shield.
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Exactly. I've seen it myself. It's not easy to tell Mom and kids in the car that Dad won't be driving them the rest of the way because he tried to change a flat and was turned into a bag of mushy stuff by a drunk.

- Eric
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

The scenario's described above are exactly what gave Ford's "Panther" chassis a bad name.

The media brainwashed so many people out there that Crown Vic's are death traps (fires).

Doesn't really matter who builds a car .....

Slamming into the back of one that's standing still on the side of the interstate @ 80+ mph ... more often than not - will not end pretty.

Pretty much anything with a gas tank will have a high risk of exploding when that happens.

And when CVPI's were considered the only real game left in town for several years (things have changed a lot recently) ...

Those were the cars that would most often be found stopped on the side of the interstate.

Higher probability of a stopped CVPI getting rear ended at high speeds vs other cars = more chances for bad things to happen.

Not necessarily a flawed design like the media wanted everyone to believe.
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Most of these side of the hiway crashes happen due to most people looking at the pretty flashing lights. Most driver, drive to were they are looking. In these case straight into the pretty flashing lights. With dire consequences. Of course intoxication only makes it worse. Never change a tire on the side of the hiway, not worth your life.
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I could Buff That out..
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Somebody's life is not worth the price of a rim. Hobble on down to the next exit and get off the interstate. Way safer.
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM
The Noob Messiah

A torch, some frame stretching, a Mountian Dew can, a coat hangar, duct tape, a little Bondo and it'll look decent.
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:41 PM

Pictures like this are a needed reminder that our old cars just aren't as safe as the new stuff. Granted, whatever hit that car would have caused severe damage to a new car as well... but the odds of surviving in a new car with energy absorbing crumple zones and a handful of airbags are much greater.

Staying off the side of the road is great advice, but you may not be able to avoid the drunk who swerves into your lane and hits you head on.

It's our hobby and passion, we must acknowledge the risk that goes with it. But if I ever have a close call, I can see my Cutlass being replaced with an 05/06 GTO. I hope that never happens though.