General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

November Cruising

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM

November Cruising

I have to say I love taking my car out this time of year in Chicago. Sunny and cool, not top down weather but still great temps to drive a 455 around town. Seems most people have already put their car to bed for the winter. Didn't see one other muscle car out, maybe I'll see some this weekend.

I'll take mine out until the first salting of the streets.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:02 AM

Our plates expire in Nov...so if it is dry and fairly sunny, it's out for a spin on the weekends. We had a lot of rain from H. Sandy, so it's too muddy around here for a while (1/2 mile of gravel to start trip) .
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:11 AM

I here ya steve i live on the nw side near a city salt yard i stay away from the streets cause their white with salt . But as long as its dry i drive my cutlass around all year .Wash it and park it back in my heated garage. BILL
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:04 AM

No muscle car but I won't put my car away till after Christmas, gotta do the Christmas light viewing thing with the top down! That is if I can get it off the mountain, I don't do snow or rain with the 55.....Tedd
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Didn't see one other ANTIQUE car out, maybe I'll see some this weekend.
Fixed it
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:17 PM

was cruzing my 66 chevelle today. seems these older cars have better {hotter} heaters. love driving in the cooler weather.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM

You gotta enjoy it as long as you can Steven!

John
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I'm the same way,cold weather does not stop me from driving my car. Salt or rain does.
I would have went out for a ride today but worked late,I'll go for a cruise tomorrow though.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:14 PM

my heater works well in the cold , and the car really runs great in the cold. only drawback is driving with the windows up. but it seems ya get more head turners in this weather. maybe their thinking is guy nuts. BILL
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by charlierogers
was cruzing my 66 chevelle today. seems these older cars have better {hotter} heaters. love driving in the cooler weather.
Yea, right ON no doubt about that.

I've not noticed many antique cars this weekend or lately..hmm.

Sure is a good time to cruise though.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM

saw a 75 Cutlass, an older chevelle (maybe charlierogers) and a challenger but that was with driving around 100 miles
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:11 AM
One part at a time

I took vacation day Friday and drove the 67 back to my old home town. It was a little over a 200 mile round trip and the car performed great. It ran at 160 F most of the day and only got to 180 once when I got stuck at a long stop light.

It survived multiple burnouts showing off for friends and family and I even let my cousin drive it for a few miles.
I now understand why people in the passenger seat for the first time look scared when I whack the throttle.
Torque is an amazing thing!

I'm finding people either love or hate the color. Most fall into the love category but a few don't dig yellow. To me it's kinda like the old mopar colors and how often do you see a saffron 67?

Last edited by 67 442; November 4th, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 67 442
I'm finding people either love or hate the color. Most fall into the love category but a few don't dig yellow. To me it's kinda like the old mopar colors and how often do you see a saffron 67?
I love the color, the first 67 442 I ever saw was the same yellow - etched forever in my mind

Last edited by stevengerard; December 2nd, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Lansing built

I had mine out yesterday and today a balmy 52-54 degrees here in the Lansing area and there was this funny orange/yellow thing in the sky.
Last week at this time I was In Maui, HI were it was 82 sunny/breezy.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
engine 005.jpg (119.8 KB, 15 views)
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Mine doesn't exactly qualify as a "classic muscle car", but I had it out today too. Definitely great cruising weather. I've been lucky enough to have it out every month so far this year, hopefully I'll be able to do December too and make it a perfect year. Did see a brown '72 Cutlass convertible today that I had never seen before.
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Cutlass Lover

Teepo and I went cruisin today. It was sunny and 56 degrees. Just a gorgeous day to be out driving.
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:47 PM

I plan on cruising wednesday here in Michigan.I have to work tomorrow but the next day look great! After that as looking at the future forcast. It will be sweatshirt though as I still don't have my Vintage or Classic heat and air. Still waiting for the $ gods.
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM

Now December Cruising

WOW, don't remember a day like this in December, took the car out again today. Been a great fall for cruising
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I have to say I love taking my car out this time of year in Chicago. Sunny and cool, not top down weather but still great temps to drive a 455 around town. Seems most people have already put their car to bed for the winter. Didn't see one other muscle car out, maybe I'll see some this weekend.

I'll take mine out until the first salting of the streets.
What is the longest ride you've had in Chicagoland? Planning a ride to Joliet from NW Chicago. This weather is great for cruising but I have not gone out of Chicago yet. I just got my car a few months ago. I have cruised top down at 60ish degrees in the city, but end up the ride with the heater on
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 67 442
I took vacation day Friday and drove the 67 back to my old home town. It was a little over a 200 mile round trip and the car performed great. It ran at 160 F most of the day and only got to 180 once when I got stuck at a long stop light.

It survived multiple burnouts showing off for friends and family and I even let my cousin drive it for a few miles.
I now understand why people in the passenger seat for the first time look scared when I whack the throttle.
Torque is an amazing thing!

Love that color and your car looks elegant. Please ignore those comments and don't change her color unless you wanted to
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Don Roberto
What is the longest ride you've had in Chicagoland? Planning a ride to Joliet from NW Chicago. This weather is great for cruising but I have not gone out of Chicago yet. I just got my car a few months ago. I have cruised top down at 60ish degrees in the city, but end up the ride with the heater on
I have taken numerous drives to MI, Iowa and Wisconsin, average mileage probably around 120 - 150 miles but I've gone as far as Lansing which has got to be 250 miles.

Sometimes I drive with the top down, the heat on and the kids in the back with a heavy blanket on themselves.

Today I may actually take the top down and go get a xmas tree, that will look cool seeing one sticking out the back of a 442 convertible!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM

I am definatly going tomorrow here in Michigan. Supposed to be 60 degrees and dry. Wow, cruising in December!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM

Today was a great cruising day, I'm glad I didn't tear my front end apart yet. It was beautiful earlier in the day, and then tonight it was a nice spring-like late night cruise with dry streets and fog. You couldn't ask for more in December, and every day that goes by like this....well, I won't say it.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM

had the pontiac out yesterday. of course I only drove it a quarter mile at a time test n tune at US41 in Morocco, IN for those familiar with the area.

I finally have the F-85 back together, drove it to work last fri and plan on driving it tomorrow.
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM

drove the F-85 to work again today.

Steven?
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:12 PM

was going to but definitely taking it out after dinner for a cruise. I was thinking about that this morning, its been 8 straight months now of cruising, sure beats the typical 4 we usually get.
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator

This is the reason I built mine as a daily driver. I drive mine everyday, to and from work and all. It seems when I crank that thing up after a f%$^'d up day, the weight of the world is lifted off my shoulders.